Author Topic: US purchases - picking up in Ogdensburg  (Read 30934 times)

Offline OS

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • MacLean is Really Good!
    • View Profile
US purchases - picking up in Ogdensburg
« on: September 18, 2007, 12:15:43 PM »
If you have a good deal from a US source that doesn't ship to Canada, the cost is unreasonable, or is UPS/Fedex only here's some posts I found about having items shipped to Ogdensburg near Cornwall for pick-up.

-----------------------------------
Just have the package shipped to the address below with your name on it somewhere so it can be identified.

Call in advance to see if the package has arrived before going to pick it up.

Charges are $5US per box/package (not sure on how billing is done, it would be a good idea to bring cash).

Contact info:

C/O Roethel Parcel Service
1801 Ford St.
Ogdensburg
New York

(315)-393-4770
----------------------

For many years, the only option was in Ogdensburg was Roethel Parcel Service.  However, they werenít open on weekends.  More recently, members have been using the UPS Store in Ogdensburg.  It is located in the shopping mall closest to the border crossing.  The UPS store is open Saturdays, which is generally much more convenient.  Here are their open hours:

Weekdays:            8:00am-6:00pm

Saturday:              10:00am-4:00pm

When placing your order, have it addressed for delivery as follows:

Your name
Your phone number
c/o The UPS Store
2981 Ford Street Extension
Gateway Shopping Center
Route 37
Ogdensburg, NY 13669

If the vendor does not ship to P.O. boxes, you can just give the address as follows, this way it looks like a private residence:

Your Name
2981 Ford Street Extension
Ogdensburg, NY 13669

The UPS Store will usually call you once the package arrives.  However, it may be prudent to ship your parcel via registered mail or courier, so that you can track itís progress via telephone or the Internet and then call UPS once it has arrived. The UPS Store phone number is: (315) 393-1188.  Their current charge is $5 U.S. per parcel and it will cost you $2 U.S. or $2.50 Canadian each way to cross the bridge to the United States. Make sure you have proper ID (passports are strongly recommended these days).  Remember, you will be asked if you have anything to declare when you return through Canadian Customs and that means paying both GST and provincial taxes on the value of the goods received.

Offline Metalhawk

• Head-Bangin'-
  • Administrator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • Some Heads Are Gonna Roll!!!
    • View Profile
Re: US purchases - picking up in Ogdensburg
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2007, 01:14:06 PM »
Not a bad alternative. Some shippers on Ebay refuse to ship to Canada...
"A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove that you donít need it"

Offline Broken Bones

• Public Relations Guy...
  • Global Moderator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • I'm the pain in your ass...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2007, 01:29:58 PM »
Not a bad alternative. Some shippers on Ebay refuse to ship to Canada...

Damn, this will come in handy BIG TIME.

Buying BMX parts here in Canada is $$$ compared to the US, and we have very few mail order sites in Canada as well. When I first started to look into buying a complete bike from www.danscomp.com they can ship anywhere in the US for $20US, however, once you cross the border, its $96US, a tad extreme eh?

Thanks for the tip, I will use this in the future I am sure!

Offline sbaldrick

• NHL Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2007, 04:34:34 PM »
You can ship it to the UPS store on Ogdensburg,  it's across the street from the Walmart.  Can't miss it.

Offline OS

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2007, 12:35:21 PM »
A bit more info.  I called both places and either place will hold your package for a week.  The UPS store will charge $5 per extra week, Roethel $5 per DAY.

So UPS is a better deal if you may take a bit getting your goodies. 

Offline moxie

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • A Proud Member of The P.P.A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2007, 02:23:52 PM »
I am actually seriously considering going down there to buy a motorcycle... The price difference off the floor is RIDICULOUS. In some cases, over $3000 on a $8000 bike.
He could drink like hell, he could fight like hell.

Offline OS

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2010, 03:40:46 PM »
Update on an old thread.  Going to pick up some speakers at the Ogdensburg UPS store.   I ordered them through Amazon.com, which has a ton of stuff that Amazon.ca doesn't have.   I thought Amazon.com wouldn't do this and you had to ship to your credit card address, but it was no problem.  Just put in a different address for delivery, which is this case was the street address for the Ogdensburg UPS store.  I put my name and added via UPS, but I spoke to the UPS store after and they said you don't even need to put via UPS or c/o UPS, etc.  Just your name and their address. 

Offline Broken Bones

• Global Moderator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2010, 09:03:08 PM »
Are you declaring when you return?  If so, I guess the big savings come as you wouldn't need to pay for a customs broker fee.

Offline Metalhawk

• Head-Bangin'-
  • Administrator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2010, 11:18:46 PM »
Are you declaring when you return?  If so, I guess the big savings come as you wouldn't need to pay for a customs broker fee.

The big difference usually comes from 2 things:

1. Original price. It's amazing how the same item often costs A LOT less in the US. Customs fees don't even come close to making up the difference.

2. Shipping. Some companies/people that ship to Canada from the US charge up the *** for shipping, sometimes to discourage cross-border customers without saying so.
"A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove that you donít need it"

Offline OS

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2010, 11:32:49 PM »
 :icon_agree:

Price is #1.  I've bought my daughter Volkl twin tip skis for half the price the local shops wanted, including gas, tolls and pick-up fee.  $300 vs. $600.  That was from a seller that only ships to the US.

Add a couple more.  A shipping variation is that the shipper will only use a courier, such as UPS, and not use US mail.  That's where the brokerage savings come in.  If a company will ship US Mail, you don't get the brokerage.  Though the outright cost may be a lot cheaper.  It's amazing how cheap things get shipped point to point within the US - nothing like population density.

- Variety.   Lot more options.

I bought the speaker set used for $225 US.  Another set is up for $210 now.   The sell for $600+ new in Canada. eg.

http://www.crutchfield.ca/Polk_Audio_RM85_Black_5_piece_Home_Theatre_Speak_p/107rm85b.htm

At Futureshop they want $1,100+ with a subwoofer, but they will go on sale for waaay less than that.  I have a very nice Paradigm sub with adjustable volume and cross-over so the 5 pack is what I wanted. 

It has to be worth it though.

Offline Metalhawk

• Head-Bangin'-
  • Administrator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2010, 01:04:54 AM »
Well, my search for 15'' mustang rims for this winter is not going too well (only found 2 through my mechanic), so I might have to turn to US sellers. Nothing like 2 rims @ 20 lbs each to cost an arm and a leg to ship to Canada, if they ship here at all. Ogdensburg, here I come. :)

Offline OS

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2010, 06:33:29 PM »
Metal, I went down and picked up the speakers this morning.  For tires the UPS store is now charging $5 per tire for pickup.   I would guess it may apply to rims as well.  :smily677: 

Full cost for the pick-up - $3 in tolls, $5 US pickup fee, 2 hours of gas from Orleans.  In a Hyundai Accent, about $10 of gas.  With Amazon I had to pay the 7% NY state tax.  Paid 13% HST on the purchase price -  at least no tax on the tax.  Total cost for the speakers is about $300 CDN and 3 hours of my time.

Sellers with out operations in NY don't charge the 7% state tax.  Good to watch for that and free shipping.

I pretty also did well at the Lowes there and got a set of Price Pfister 1 handle taps for $42 US, which I can't touch for less than about $90 locally.  I had to buy this for the laundry room anyway, so that actually covered my trip costs. 

It's good to go with a pretty empty gas tank as well, as you can fill up there for about $.80 CDN per litre ($2.85/ us gallon).

If you do this, best to leave as early as possible in the morning.  The exit to the 401 East is closed so all traffic is routed through the exit for the US, and there is construction on the bridge.  When I crossed back over at around noon, the traffic was really backed up.  I had no delays earlier in the day.  The UPS store opens at 7:30 AM. 

Offline Broken Bones

• Global Moderator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2010, 03:09:56 PM »
My god, we got caught up in that traffic jam going down to Toronto yesterday, passed through it shortly after 1, took 45 minutes to do the detour and get on the 401 only to get where you normally connect to see that now being almost 2 that they opened up the on ramp and let traffic flow normally.

Offline OS

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2010, 04:34:54 PM »
My god, we got caught up in that traffic jam going down to Toronto yesterday, passed through it shortly after 1, took 45 minutes to do the detour and get on the 401 only to get where you normally connect to see that now being almost 2 that they opened up the on ramp and let traffic flow normally.

Ouch.  What time did you hit it?   I'm lucky I wasn't a bit later. 

Offline classmate

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2010, 01:07:56 PM »
n I had to pay the 7% NY state tax.  ...

From all New Yorkers we say "Thank you" as our state is in a pretty bad way lately. 

Offline OS

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2010, 12:08:27 AM »
From all New Yorkers we say "Thank you" as our state is in a pretty bad way lately. 

No problemo there!  Part of the decision process!

Offline Broken Bones

• Global Moderator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2010, 07:11:54 AM »
Ouch.  What time did you hit it?   I'm lucky I wasn't a bit later. 

We hit the backup almost at 1pm, and it was SLOW!  And of course, there is no warning of such delays until you are past any exit that may give you the option to take an alternate route to avoid it.

Offline Metalhawk

• Head-Bangin'-
  • Administrator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2010, 07:01:22 PM »
What else is there in Ogdensburg for shopping? OS mentioned Lowes, but are there any big malls, bookstores, etc? We just might make it a day whenever we drop by.

Offline classmate

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2010, 07:02:18 PM »
What else is there in Ogdensburg for shopping? OS mentioned Lowes, but are there any big malls, bookstores, etc? We just might make it a day whenever we drop by.

Ummm No. 

Offline Metalhawk

• Head-Bangin'-
  • Administrator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2010, 07:30:35 PM »
 :sad