Author Topic: Senators Trade Rumors  (Read 90893 times)

Offline NF_Senator

• Future Hall of Famer
    • View Profile
Senators Trade Rumors
« on: January 01, 2006, 08:22:53 AM »
First off I'd like to start my first post of 2006 with a Happy New Year to everyone.  :danceparty:

Now, I was wondering if anyone caught this post on NHL Trade Rumors.

http://www.hockeytraderumors.com/article5991.html

It states that OWEN NOLAN wants a chance to get back at the Leafs and would do so by playing for the Sens. If there is any truth to that rumor man that would be the icing on the cake for payback from The Senators to the Leafs.

Second off, it says something about Vermette and a round pick for weight, this has been discussed before on numerous occasions here.

This is funny because, A few months before the Senators aquired Hasek I had aquired him in my Dynasty in 2005...Last week I picked up Owan Nolan...Guess we will just have to wait and see...
« Last Edit: January 01, 2006, 08:27:01 AM by NF_Senator »
" Death to the Buffaslug "

Offline nanuuq

• NHL Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Senators Trade Rumors
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2006, 11:10:42 AM »
Nolan would be a good addition to the team, but we should only sign him
to one year contracts.  He has caused me to loose a number of pools
over the years, cause he seems to only play good in contract signing
years.
"Wisdom is the province of the aged, but the heart of a child is PURE"
hrundy backshi - (Peter Sellers) in the Party

Offline Double_Double

• NHL Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2006, 11:34:36 AM »
I thought Nolan was going to sign with Sharks or Calgary? How would Nolan be in the Sens dressing room? would he be a disruption or distraction for the Sens? besides, I'm not sure about the motivation, signing with one team (Ottawa) to get "get back at " a former team (Toronto)

Offline puckloo39

• Hall of Fame Inductee
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2006, 11:57:03 AM »
Just my .02, as I only know Nolan as a Shark.  He wasn't particularly popular there, even as Captain... inconsistent and didn't show up when they really needed him (direct opposite of Alfie as Captain). 

The Sharks were very young group at the time he left, but they didn't seem to miss him one bit when the old back injury flared up yet again, and Nolan went to the Loafs.  The whole idea that he would come to the Sens to get revenge on the Leafs is a strange notion.  Nolan has also expressed his disdain for Hasek on more than one occasion, but that could just be the media twisting what he said.  I am sure Dom will be professional about it, if the Sens do acquire Nolan.  He managed to win a Cup with Brett Hull, so I guess he could handle looking at Nolan for part of a season.

In short, I think we'll be fine without him in the locker room.
Dominik is my #1 Star, every game!!

Offline Special J

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2006, 12:11:12 PM »
Nolan's availability is still pending the outcome of his grievance with the Leafs.  He has had serious injuries to his back and knee to add to his lengthy list of injuries; so most of the 18 months he hasn't played, he hasn't been skating either.  Plus the question of how he would be in the dressing room.

Unless its for the minimum, I'll pass thanks.  Remember, guys making a comeback are always in the "best shape of their life".
"Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true." - Homer Simpson

Offline Dagwood

• SITE PHILOSOPHER
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2006, 12:54:23 PM »
I can't see the Sens trading Vermette....  The guy is the single most dangerous player on most PK's.  Trading him away doesn't make any sense at all.
“Being politically correct....not my forte”

Offline Budkiller

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2006, 01:03:31 PM »
Nolan's not what Ottawa needs right now.  If it's a rental the Sens are looking for, they should look elsewhere.  Besides, SJ and Vancouver are more desperate to turns things around right now and would give up more to get him.

Offline SensGuy

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • A-Train
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2006, 01:20:43 PM »
I'll pass on Owen Nolan for sure, but I'll take Doug Weight.  I don't think it would cost Vermette though.  The Sens have an advantage on all the other contenders in that Ottawa has the cap room to take on Weight right now if they wanted to, so they could get him cheaper.
For me, if it takes the end of the world to save the world, then so be it.
- Jeff Ament

Offline Metalhawk

• Head-Bangin'-
  • Administrator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • Some Heads Are Gonna Roll!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2006, 01:30:50 PM »
If the Sens sign Nolan, don't they risk not even getting him due to the waivers rule?
"A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove that you don’t need it"

Offline puckloo39

• Hall of Fame Inductee
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2006, 01:36:48 PM »
He should go back to San Jose.  He still owns homes there and a couple of pubs. 
Dominik is my #1 Star, every game!!

Offline Andrew_Brunette

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2006, 03:07:42 PM »
Vermette for Weight is a huge ripoff. Vermette is young and will only get better. He could blossom into another Havlat in a couple seasons. How long would we have Weight for? Just this season?
Accept mediocrity. Winning is gravy.

Offline SCRAMBLLLLLLE...

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2006, 03:41:55 PM »
Just because Nolan wants to get back at the Leafs doesn't mean Muckler will go out and sign him. The Senators have looked fine in handling the Leafs so far so there's no real incentive for the Sens. As for the Weight/Vermette rumour, I highly doubt that one since Antoine is one of the very few forwards on the roster who can kill penalties almost single-handedly. That kind of a player can do wonders for you when the playoffs roll around. If the Blues trade away Weight, they shouldn't expect much back in return.

Offline Senscore

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • Sad Snake
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2006, 04:02:01 PM »
Bah. Maybe if Nolan will sign for chump change. Other than that, the only way he'll be getting back at the leafs is by spiking their water bottles with Ex-Lax.

As for Vermette for Weight, I like it, although Vermette is a good young player, I really can't see him becoming a star player in the future.

Offline SCRAMBLLLLLLE...

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2006, 04:07:35 PM »
Vermette for Weight is a huge ripoff. Vermette is young and will only get better. He could blossom into another Havlat in a couple seasons. How long would we have Weight for? Just this season?

Yes. Weight is an impending UFA which is why the Blues don't expect to get much back in return.

Offline SCRAMBLLLLLLE...

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2006, 05:49:55 PM »
The Sens have an advantage on all the other contenders in that Ottawa has the cap room to take on Weight right now if they wanted to, so they could get him cheaper.

There's that little team called the Buffalo Sabres...

Offline Sucker Punch

• Future Hall of Famer
  • ON VACATION
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2006, 06:21:35 PM »
If Nolan is truly furious at the Leafs, and wants to stick it to them, AND will sign for ~$1 million, give her.   I think that would be a good addition.

Offline SENSfreak_03

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2006, 07:49:06 PM »
i'll pass on nolan, i dont see how he fits into this team really. maybe for the league minimum, but not to much more.

vermette for weight? pass. i wouldnt want to give up a young guy on the roster for him.

Offline Sucker Punch

• Future Hall of Famer
  • ON VACATION
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2006, 08:59:08 PM »
i'll pass on nolan, i dont see how he fits into this team really. maybe for the league minimum, but not to much more.

vermette for weight? pass. i wouldnt want to give up a young guy on the roster for him.

Agreed, no young roster players for a playoff rental.   He isn't that important.

Offline Sensfanwest

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2006, 09:19:25 PM »
we havent really had too much luck trading good prospects for renters in the recent past. brooks laitch for peter bondra. :icon_duh:  im not saying that "renting" weight for an extended playoff run would be a bad thing, but id say a 2nd round pick at absolute most would be good for the sens to give up. although in my opinion, i dont think muckler will do anything if the guys keep playing this well. they've adjusted to post-havlat life and he'll hopefully be back for the playoffs, smolinski's coming around and showing a good leadership role and the lines are clicking. ok, alfy's injury is a minor set back. but thankfully it's not for an extended period of time.

we've just gotta realize something, teams are faced with adversity like this. the flyers have lost gagne, forsberg, pitkanen, primeau, desjardins, and esche at some point or another in the season. but they've battled through it. they're tops in the atlantic division. the sens, amidst everything are tops in the NE div, tops in the east and tops in the NHL with games in hand. :GO_SENS_GO2:

Offline Orange and Blue

• NHL Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2006, 09:55:16 PM »
The Doug Weight rumor makes sense.

Sens really need someone to center the second line.

I'de take Nolan for the minimum.

Every championship team needs depth. The sens have some depth, but they're mostly rooks.

Just my 2 cents.
Formerly knows as Marty Havlat