Author Topic: Hasek injured in Olympic opener  (Read 36772 times)

Offline Quetzal

• NHL Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Hasek injured in Olympic opener
« Reply #120 on: February 15, 2006, 06:50:49 PM »
I'm sorry. I should've known that if I wasn't kissing Hasek's ass, I was being unreasonable. :laugh2: My mistake.

Oh, for Gods sake, come off it, will you? 

Offline puckloo39

• Hall of Fame Inductee
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 15, 2006, 06:53:45 PM »
hey, Q.. just let it go...

How's Hrlinka looking these days?  Not that Vokoun isn't capable of taking the Czechs to the gold medal round by himself... see Worlds for evidence.   :nod:

Dominik is my #1 Star, every game!!

Offline Quetzal

• NHL Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 15, 2006, 06:56:32 PM »

I am being as reasonable as I know how to be, see, Q? ;)

Maybe we're too reasonable, let's start a Hasek-bashers'-bashing thread  :mrgreen:

Offline LostInTranslation

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 15, 2006, 06:58:48 PM »
Oh, for Gods sake, come off it, will you? 

:laugh2: Alright then.
The chief export of Chuck Norris is pain.

Offline forty_three

• Bingo Sen
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 15, 2006, 06:59:24 PM »
Even if Hasek is fine, I think Muckler might look into getting a backup. I'd support getting Toskala or Roloson.

Roloson is a Number one mired in a platoon system. If he came here, we'd forget Hasek rather quick. If Muckler can make a deal he should think of a goalie who can be a #1 next year and give Emery something to fight for. If Emery steps up and takes it, you trade the new guy to fill another hole. If Emery falters, you have a #1 guy. Hasek is done this year anyway. Time to look at the future.

My short shopping list:
Denis
Roloson
Boucher

My dream pickup: Biron. But there's no way that Buffalo is dumb enough to trade him to us. I'd love Kolzig too, but he just got locked up for four years in DC. He's not going anywhere.
"If you ever feel like you are in control, you aren't going fast enough"
-Mario Andretti

Offline LostInTranslation

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 15, 2006, 07:00:14 PM »
Maybe we're too reasonable, let's start a Hasek-bashers'-bashing thread  :mrgreen:

No one was bashing him. Some of us questioned his involvement in the Olympics when he was chosen for the team. Things like today just prove our point that maybe, just maybe, it wasn't a good idea. Who's bashing?
The chief export of Chuck Norris is pain.

Offline Quetzal

• NHL Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 15, 2006, 07:07:35 PM »
hey, Q.. just let it go...

How's Hrlinka looking these days?  Not that Vokoun isn't capable of taking the Czechs to the gold medal round by himself... see Worlds for evidence.   :nod:

Hnilicka isnt bad, but he is no Hasek ... or Vokoun. First in GAA, fifth in save percentage in the Czech Extraleague.
Hnilička Milan, GAA 1.73   SV%   93.92   

Offline Andrew_Brunette

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 15, 2006, 07:14:38 PM »
Well... after thinking this all over instead of taking notes in American History, I've decided that none of this is Hasek's fault.

It's true that Hasek doesn't NEED another gold medal, and the Czech Republic didn't NEED another All-Star goalie. It's true that Hasek is 41-years old, and is more injury prone than most players. And it's also true that his first priority should be with the Ottawa Senators. However, I respected his decision to play in Torino, and still do. Think about it, he's played for North Americans for most of his life, the Olympics and World Cups are really his only chance to play for his countrymen. It wouldn't have been unreasonable to take the two weeks off (look at Niedermeyer and Naslund), but we shouldn't be bashing him for deciding to go.

We were originally afraid that the condensed Olympic schedule would tire him out and result in injury, but he got hurt in the FIRST PERIOD of the tournament. One could even argue that it was the days off that caused him to go rusty and get hurt, but let's not go there. The fact remains that he wasn't under any extra stress in Turin that he wouldn't have faced in Ottawa. This was an unfortunate accident that could have happened in any Senators game. Let's face it: he's an old guy playing with new rules with a dangerous play style. This was a risk we were willing to take and it might cost us.

Look on the bright side, at least we were sucking before the Olympic break... we probably would have been eliminated first round anyway  :smily1263:.

And by the way, you never have to agree with someone else's opinion, but nothing discredits your own arguments more than assinine comments like these:

Stop being reasonable, Q!   It won't work around here!!!   :A_laughing_matter:

If you're trying to degrade what started as a rational debate into a flame war, that's the way to do it.

So, assuming the worst, we will be without Hasek for the rest of the season. It's not the end of the world. Like I said, I was beginning to doubt we could challenge Detroit, Carolina, New York, or a healthy Philadelphia, anyway. But we needed another starter for post-Hasek Ottawa anyways. San Jose and Minnesota both have two starters and both are likely to miss the playoffs. Hopefully we can get Roloson or Toskala for little more than a high pick and an average prospect.
Accept mediocrity. Winning is gravy.

Offline Quetzal

• NHL Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 15, 2006, 07:16:31 PM »
No one was bashing him. Some of us questioned his involvement in the Olympics when he was chosen for the team. Things like today just prove our point that maybe, just maybe, it wasn't a good idea. Who's bashing?

just joking  :mrgreen:

With hindsight, it's always easy to say that it wasn't a good idea. Or if he were given the second game, not the first, etc. etc. etc. Nothing is certain, but I would be surprised if he isnt good to go for the playoffs at the very very latest. The team doctor said it's still 40% that he will play in this Olympics. He also said that the key thing is how Hasek feels tomorrow morning. Not nice, but it doesnt indicate a three month injury to me.

Offline SzuperChicky

• Global Moderator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • Offcial Coach Clouston Groupie
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 15, 2006, 07:31:16 PM »
I was at a conference where Muckler was speaking at.  He was asked a question about what he thinks about so many of his players being in the Olympics.  He said it simple, and I'm paraphrasing here.  "You can't tell a guy not to go play in the Olympics.  If you don't respect where their heart is, he/she won't respect you."
Game Day & Prediction Threads HERE

Douchebag List:
Dany Heatley, Corey Perry, Bill McCreary, Dave Branch, Ryan Kesler

Offline Sucker Punch

• Future Hall of Famer
  • ON VACATION
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 15, 2006, 07:33:56 PM »
Since Emery can still be sent to the minors without clearing waivers, I since our dreams of a top-end centre is diminishing.   If he's out for an extended period of time, the extra cap space might as well be used for a decent starting goalie, like a Biron/Roloson type.   Someone who could backup or start the rest of the season + playoffs, and take over next year, giving Emery much needed more time to develop.

Offline rush__man

• Future Hall of Famer
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 15, 2006, 07:39:46 PM »
Roloson is a Number one mired in a platoon system. If he came here, we'd forget Hasek rather quick. If Muckler can make a deal he should think of a goalie who can be a #1 next year and give Emery something to fight for. If Emery steps up and takes it, you trade the new guy to fill another hole. If Emery falters, you have a #1 guy. Hasek is done this year anyway. Time to look at the future.

My short shopping list:
Denis
Roloson
Boucher

My dream pickup: Biron. But there's no way that Buffalo is dumb enough to trade him to us. I'd love Kolzig too, but he just got locked up for four years in DC. He's not going anywhere.

well hasek isnt done yet and i live in minny and rolo is not the answer. i seriously doubt anyone out there is the answer for this year. and the last thing to do is panic and trade one of our good players for something unknown just for a quick try at the cup.

Offline Sensfanwest

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 15, 2006, 07:46:10 PM »
i felt the same way about this at the beginning of the season. as much as i respect hasek's decision to play in the olympics for his country (a tremendous honour), i still feel he was a ticking time bomb waiting to get injured. 41 years old, coming of GROIN surgery and playing the bulk load of the games for the sens. This was bound to happen at some point or another. I was just hoping this day would come after he retired and injured himself playing a game of pick-up hockey.

IMO, hasek starting for the czechs makes as much sense as playing hot potato with a Faberge egg. they're both very valuable and by doing what they're doing, you're putting them in jeopardy

Offline Furtrader

• NHL Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 15, 2006, 07:49:09 PM »
I agree with what Andrew_Brunette said.
I also think it seems we're bashing Hasek.We are not.While hockey is a team sport,certain players will always have more impact than others.It also goes with the position one plays.
While we wish for no Senator injuries,certain positions "can" go down,and there are multiple others who can step in/up to fill the position.It's depth.
With Hasek hurt,our glaring lack of depth at goal is apparent(with apologies to Emery).
So,while we ponder Hasek's decisions,allow us to worry.We are all armchair GMs,after all.

I don't know if this makes sense,but I feel better................
I love my Oldsmobile

Offline Andrew_Brunette

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 15, 2006, 07:52:24 PM »
I agree with what Andrew_Brunette said.

You've made a powerful ally today, son.
Accept mediocrity. Winning is gravy.

Offline Random Ryan

• Future Hall of Famer
  • Together We Stand, Never We Fall
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: February 15, 2006, 07:57:25 PM »
Haseks days in the Olympics are numbered now. He might just have to get back on a plane and head to Ottawa for some rest. That would be best for our 41 year old goaltender. The Sens need him to preform more then ever right now. Give Hasek the rest of the Oylmpics as a break period for him so he'll be in tip top shape on his way back into the NHL.
We saw today that Heatley is still capable of racking up points, so that is another issue. The top line has been split up. After the break hopefully they'll be reunited. The sens need the Goaltender and scorers for a cup run. If we have to give Havlat to get Joki, then dont do it.  Right now we need a goalie for when Hasek retires, and the best bet right now is Patrick Lalime from the St.Louis Blues. Give Ray and a draft pick. St.Louis gets a good future goalie and Ottawa will hopefully get another strong Patrick Lalime without the Jacques Martin gig.
Hasek isnt the only problem for the sens right now. Goaltending is key for future success and our future in Ottawa. As I see it, only 6 teams are guarrenteed to keep their NHL franchise, FOREVER!

Offline Quetzal

• NHL Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 15, 2006, 08:03:35 PM »
from http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olympics/torino/hockey/2006-02-13-forsberg_x.htm

Peter Forsberg is going to the Olympics, despite a groin injury that forced the Swedish star to miss the Philadelphia Flyers' last eight games.
Peter Forsberg .... missed the team's last eight games with a groin injury.       

"It's still not 100% and I'm going to rest a few more days and see how it goes," Forsberg said Monday. "It's not (certain) I'm playing over there, but they want me to come over and see if it heals up. And if it feels 100% this weekend, we will skate over there and get going and get ready to maybe play a couple of games. If it's not, then I'm not going to play. I'm just going to go over there and see how it goes."

Flyers chairman Ed Snider has said he would rather see his franchise player sit out the Olympics to be healthy for the playoffs. Philadelphia trails the New York Rangers by three points for first place in the Atlantic Division.

General manager Bob Clarke is hopeful Forsberg doesn't aggravate the injury in Turin.

"I think Peter knows what the results of the MRI were and he knows the risks involved," Clarke said. "Going over there is his choice and he made the decision to go. I'm concerned for every player that goes over there because obviously it's a very high level of play and I think there's a risk for everybody. In Peter's case, there's probably a little higher risk, but that's the chance you take when you play."

Offline Furtrader

• NHL Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 15, 2006, 08:10:30 PM »
Right now we need a goalie for when Hasek retires, and the best bet right now is Patrick Lalime from the St.Louis Blues.

??????????????????????????????? :shock:.....ummmmm,I disagree.Imagine we re-acquire Lalime.He has 2 weak games(it happens),especially on home ice.The fans and media would crucify him.Then where would his already shaky confidence be?
I love my Oldsmobile

Offline Alexander_Ovechkin

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • Our favourite Hero!
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 15, 2006, 08:12:43 PM »
You've made a powerful ally today, son.

I'am your ally right :woohoo:

Offline Sensfanwest

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: February 15, 2006, 08:13:44 PM »
Right now we need a goalie for when Hasek retires, and the best bet right now is Patrick Lalime from the St.Louis Blues. 

:A_laughing_matter: :A_laughing_matter: :A_laughing_matter: :A_laughing_matter: :A_laughing_matter: :A_laughing_matter: