Author Topic: Hasek injured in Olympic opener  (Read 36099 times)

Offline Broken Bones

• Public Relations Guy...
  • Global Moderator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • I'm the pain in your ass...
    • View Profile
Re: Hasek injured in Olympic opener
« Reply #240 on: February 16, 2006, 04:52:02 PM »
I understand your concern for your investment, but if you take it as a reason to make the Olympics a pee-wee league tournament then :A_laughing_matter:

Last I checked, the history of the Olympics is all about AMATURE SPORTS.... NHL players do not fall into that catagory, so I do not see where you guys get off calling it a pee wee tournament if NHL players are unable to play. Is the AHL a pee wee league because they are not true NHL players?

It would be as if a business contractually banned his employees from swimming because they could drown and he would lose his investment into that employee (training etc.)

If that employee was in such a position that it could make or break th ebusiness financially, and that employee was being paid millions annually, you bet your ass that the company would have it included in his contract of things he can/can't do if he is so valuable.

Offline rush__man

• Future Hall of Famer
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: February 16, 2006, 05:10:49 PM »
well anyway it appears we dodged a big bullet. if hasek wants to play it out - i dont like it - but i support it. hes a competitor and those types play through things. he wouldnt be the great goalie if he wasnt. let just hope thats the last of the bad news from these olympics.

Offline TheRealGladiator

• Draft Pick
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: February 16, 2006, 05:25:32 PM »
Alright ppl I almost crashed my car when I passed by news stand...

Question ->  Does Ottawa Senators have any say if they don't want him to play in the olympics any more. Or is it 100% up to the player if he wants to play for his country? 

Offline Andrew_Brunette

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: February 16, 2006, 05:27:56 PM »
I agree with AB

Sorry, son, it'll take more than that to get into my club.
Accept mediocrity. Winning is gravy.

Offline Sensfanwest

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: February 16, 2006, 05:28:11 PM »
all of this fighting.... :(
can't we all just get along?  :icon_whoknows:

Offline Sucker Punch

• Future Hall of Famer
  • ON VACATION
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: February 16, 2006, 05:28:25 PM »
Last I checked, the history of the Olympics is all about AMATURE SPORTS.... NHL players do not fall into that catagory, so I do not see where you guys get off calling it a pee wee tournament if NHL players are unable to play. Is the AHL a pee wee league because they are not true NHL players?

The AHL are pros aswell, they wouldn't be in the Olympics either.   The juniors aswell, get a small pay aswell don't they?   The definition of amateur is "A person who engages in an art, science, study, or athletic activity as a pastime rather than as a profession."

Do we really want to send Beer Leaguers to the Olympics?   People that play once a week on the weekends?

Offline Sensfanwest

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: February 16, 2006, 05:34:50 PM »
Do we really want to send Beer Leaguers to the Olympics?   People that play once a week on the weekends?

that would fun. id like to nominate myself for a spot on the next team canada in the vancouver 2010 games. I'm the leading scorer of the North Saanich Spiders.  :A_laughing_matter:

Offline playertobenamedlater

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: February 16, 2006, 06:00:29 PM »
that would fun. id like to nominate myself for a spot on the next team canada in the vancouver 2010 games. I'm the leading scorer of the North Saanich Spiders.  :A_laughing_matter:

I'm right there with you. I've been lighting it up with the Carp Blackhawks this season. What position do you play? Maybe we can be on teh starting line together for Team Canada...
A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice Chianti.

Offline Hatch

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: February 16, 2006, 06:01:24 PM »
I like having NHL players in the Olympics, simply because of the lack of a regular international tournament featuring best-on-best.  The Canada/World Cup is fun, and I prefer pre-season timing to mid-season, but they don't put it together often enough.  Personally, I'd prefer an 8-12 team international tournament every other September, and give the Olympics back to amateur players.  The hockey was always good, although the Europeans had a huge advantage.  But it wasn't exactly beer-leaguers.  Some of the players who competed at the '94 Lillehammer games:

Canada - Paul Kariya, Petr Nedved, Brian Savage, Adrian Aucoin, Chris Therien, Manny Legace

Czech Republic - Roman Turek

Finland - Saku Koivu, Jere Lehtinen, Sami Kapanen, Ville Peltonen, Janne Laukkanen

Russia - Sergei Berezin, Andrei Nikolishin

Slovakia - Ziggy Palffy, Miroslav Satan, Peter Stastny, Robert Svehla, Robert Petrovicky

Sweden - Peter Forsberg, Mats Naslund, Hakan Loob, Andreas Dackell, Jorgen Jonsson, Kenny Jonsson, Tommy Salo

USA - Brian Rolston, Todd Marchant, Mike Dunham, Garth Snow

Bottom line:  Hasek wanted to play for his country, and it's hard to begrudge him that.  Although with Vokoun as a starter, and a wealth of capable backups (Prusek, Turek, Hnilicka, etc.), it wasn't exactly like he was the Czechs' only hope, like Kolzig is for the Germans.  He took a bigger risk than most players did by going, and it didn't work out.  Let's hope he gets healthy as soon as possible.  Debating whether or not he should have gone in the first place is quite pointless.  Personally, I would've preferred that he stayed home given all the other factors at play, but it's water under the bridge now.
Hatch

I'm broke, I'm bored and I'm back.

Offline playertobenamedlater

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: February 16, 2006, 06:05:47 PM »
Nedved played for Canada? :shock:
A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice Chianti.

Offline Hatch

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: February 16, 2006, 06:17:16 PM »
Nedved played for Canada? :shock:

He defected to Canada in '89 after the Mac's midget tournament.  The Czechs wouldn't let him play for their national team, and he got Canadian citizenship, so when he had a contract dispute with the Canucks in '93-'94, he opted to play for the Canadian national team, which we sent to Lillehammer.
Hatch

Offline TheRealGladiator

• Draft Pick
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: February 16, 2006, 06:24:41 PM »
1. Hasek goes to Turin
2. Hasek gets injured
3. Hasek rests
4. Hasek is more eager than ever to win the cup.
5. Hasek wins the cup for our boys and this city...

Don't jump the gun here folks...think positive! :icon_thumbsup:

Alrigth Sens4life I am with you on that one..

Offline Quetzal

• NHL Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: February 16, 2006, 06:48:58 PM »
Last I checked, the history of the Olympics is all about AMATURE SPORTS....

That was when? In 1952?   :mrgreen:

Offline Quetzal

• NHL Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: February 16, 2006, 06:51:54 PM »
Slightly off topic:Do you know that at the beginning of the modern olympics era, even PT teachers werent allowed to participate? Because PT was their profession.

Offline LostInTranslation

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: February 16, 2006, 07:54:18 PM »
as twisted as this sounds, this now MINOR injury may be a blessing in disguise. hasek said there's only a 30% chance that he will play in the olympics which means that he will be resting for the stretch drive.

i guess better this happening now than during sens games

And to think, he could've gotten the rest and skipped the whole injury if he'd just chosen to stay home.

It sucks, doesn't it? That's what the Hasek squad in this thread has been doing from the start with those of us who don't think he should have went.

It's been loads of fun, huh?
The chief export of Chuck Norris is pain.

Offline SzuperChicky

• Global Moderator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • Offcial Coach Clouston Groupie
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: February 16, 2006, 08:23:58 PM »
Alright ppl I almost crashed my car when I passed by news stand...

Question ->  Does Ottawa Senators have any say if they don't want him to play in the olympics any more. Or is it 100% up to the player if he wants to play for his country? 

Written earlier in the thread.  I certainly don't expect anyone to sit here and read 13 pages of responses if they weren't involved at the beginning.

I was at a conference where Mlakar was speaking at.  He was asked a question about what he thinks about so many of his players being in the Olympics.  He said it simple, and I'm paraphrasing here.  "You can't tell a guy not to go play in the Olympics.  If you don't respect where their heart is, he/she won't respect you."
Game Day & Prediction Threads HERE

Douchebag List:
Dany Heatley, Corey Perry, Bill McCreary, Dave Branch, Ryan Kesler

Offline Hatch

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: February 16, 2006, 08:33:59 PM »
I'm a little concerned that Dom said that he wouldn't be consulting with the Senators, as far as determining whether or not he will play any more games in Torino.  It's one thing to go over there healthy, even if you're at a higher risk than most.  It's quite another to risk the rest of your club team's season by trying to play through an injury.  Hopefully he makes the right decision.
Hatch

Offline Broken Bones

• Public Relations Guy...
  • Global Moderator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • I'm the pain in your ass...
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: February 16, 2006, 09:12:28 PM »
Senators general manager John Muckler said the NHL team will have input as to whether Hasek plays again in Turin, Italy.

"I'd like to see Dom get the opportunity to try and win the gold medal with the Czech Republic and we'll give him every opportunity to do that," Muckler said during a conference call.

"Dom wants to play, there's no question about that and he's going to do everything in his power to make that happen."

Offline armchaircoach

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • Got Wine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: February 16, 2006, 09:41:14 PM »
That was when? In 1952?   :mrgreen:

depends on where you draw the proverbial line on Amateur status? Is an athlete an amateur if the country they play for pays all their living expenses, and for their family too? To me that is professional, adn that is the arguement for allowing the current professional athletes in, because countries like USSR, China, Germany, France etc etc have been doing just that with their top athletes for maybe 50 years+?
Wine is Life......the rest is just details

Offline Dagwood

• SITE PHILOSOPHER
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: February 16, 2006, 09:51:27 PM »

I believe the agreement between the NHL and the PA states the Player decides, not the team.  It was one of the sticky points that the PA argued for during the lockout.

Glad to hear Dom may not be seriously injured.  He may have a vulnerable 5-hole for a while but his recovery period sounds good.
Being politically correct....not my forte