Author Topic: TO radio talk/rumour  (Read 12360 times)

Offline Icedog

• NHL Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: TO radio talk/rumour
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2006, 12:33:25 PM »
There are 30 teams in the league who want to sign a guy like Redden.  He's gonna go to the highest bidder.... 

Who's gonna have the better cap situations next year?
"I have no problem fighting with 'Lefty'...."  -  Zdeno Chara

Offline taffey

• NHL Veteran
  • Me scored!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2006, 09:41:56 PM »
I would like to think that this is because Toronto is notoriously stupid when it comes to player decisions. It's the blind leading the blind over there and there is no consequence as MLSE will continue to rake in money off idiotic fans who sit idle year after year as dumb management mistakes are repeated. Toronto does not care about it's fans, but it's fans will not stop caring about Toronto. It's kinda sad, yet very funny to watch.

Anyone catch that performance against Washington last night....Quinn still has a job, JFJ still has a job, Belfour and Sundin have a job...heck even Berg has a job. Fans mean nothing. McCabe is one of their best offensive players on a team with no defenceman - and they are going to get rid of him? It would not surprise me. It would make me laugh harder. God it must suck to be a Leafs fan (but they probably don't realize how much it sucks).

Hey Lindros is ready to play. Woopee!

You know what really bugs me about posts like this?  That you somehow think that you're actually superior.  Here's a hint...you can gloat and sneer and look down at another team once your own has actually done SOMETHING. 

The Senators have been around for what - 13 seasons now?  And what have they ever accomplished?  They failed at their 12-year plan despite the benefit of years of high draft picks, they have NEVER shown an ounce of heart when it really mattered, and have constantly and consistantly been embarrassed in the playoffs while their expansion cousins have gone on to win the Cup.  Yet you can sit back and laugh at "idiotic" Leaf fans who "sit idle year after year as dumb management mistakes are repeated"?  Sorry but that's a little too close to the pot calling the kettle black.

Worry about your own team.  If they manage to win it all, you'll actually have a reason to act superior.  However, if the Sens don't win the Cup this year, this season should be regarded as a complete failure.  If they don't even make the finals, it should be regarded as an unmitigated disaster.

Offline Broken Bones

• Public Relations Guy...
  • Global Moderator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • I'm the pain in your ass...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2006, 10:06:48 PM »
You know what really bugs me about posts like this? That you somehow think that you're actually superior. Here's a hint...you can gloat and sneer and look down at another team once your own has actually done SOMETHING.

The Senators have been around for what - 13 seasons now? And what have they ever accomplished? They failed at their 12-year plan despite the benefit of years of high draft picks, they have NEVER shown an ounce of heart when it really mattered, and have constantly and consistantly been embarrassed in the playoffs while their expansion cousins have gone on to win the Cup. Yet you can sit back and laugh at "idiotic" Leaf fans who "sit idle year after year as dumb management mistakes are repeated"? Sorry but that's a little too close to the pot calling the kettle black.

Worry about your own team. If they manage to win it all, you'll actually have a reason to act superior. However, if the Sens don't win the Cup this year, this season should be regarded as a complete failure. If they don't even make the finals, it should be regarded as an unmitigated disaster.

And the last time the Leafs made it to the Stanley Cup Playoffs was......? Or when was the last time they made it to the Easter Conference Finals???? Hmm, the Senators accomplished that one but lost in game 7 in 2003, 10 years after starting the franchise.

The leafs are sitting where??? 10th???.....

Offline taffey

• NHL Veteran
  • Me scored!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2006, 10:23:59 PM »
And the last time the Leafs made it to the Stanley Cup Playoffs was......? Or when was the last time they made it to the Easter Conference Finals???? Hmm, the Senators accomplished that one but lost in game 7 in 2003, 10 years after starting the franchise.

The leafs are sitting where??? 10th???.....

Wow.  Way to completely miss the point of my post.  Amazing.   :icon_duh:

Offline _BellY_

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • hockey-its a canadian game
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2006, 10:24:00 PM »
You know what really bugs me about posts like this? That you somehow think that you're actually superior. 

Sorry but that's a little too close to the pot calling the kettle black.

haha if you take out the majority of the post you  end up with your original statement, and then the statement i was going to give you.

when you make a comment like the 1st one, you come across as if you are superior, which as far as i know, you arent, so you are ragging on someone else for somewhat sounding superior, when you yourself just did the same thing.

So stand in the rain; stand your ground
Stand up when it's all crashing down
Stand through the pain; you won't drown
and one day whats lost can be found
You stand in the rain.

Offline Ron Jeremy

• Draft Pick
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2006, 10:35:39 PM »
How is that acting superior?  I live in Toronto and have a pile of Leaf fans as friends and many of them say the same thing.  To me a great comparison is the Habs--when the Habs didn't win they didn't fill the building.  So management felt a huge pressure to improve the team.  For the Leafs where is that pressue?  You could almost argue there is more pressure to not win the cup but come as close as you can--that way the fans will stay hungry. Similar to what happened to the Blue Jays after they won the world series *2. 

What should really piss Leaf fans off is the fact that Tampa had no team until 13 years ago or so but managed to build a championship team during that time.  The Leafs at least had a roster 14 seasons ago.

And during the same time the Leafs have done nothing--but their fans constantly harp about beating Ottawa and Ottawa having no heart.  Well, I would argue that the Leafs were the favourites in two of those series and in the other two they had better goaltending -- probably top 3 goaltending in the league whereas Ottawa certainly didn't (how many soft goals were scored in those series against Lalime?).  But when the Leafs faced a team with equal or only slightly worse goaltending they lost.  Was it heart or a better team?  I'd pick the latter.

For losing Redden or Chara--we'll keep one at least since losing one of them frees up just under 4 million in cap space.  To me havlat is probably gone to keep both guys.

Offline SensOwn

• Hall of Fame Inductee
  • Go Sens Go
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2006, 08:13:00 AM »
. However, if the Sens don't win the Cup this year, this season should be regarded as a complete failure. If they don't even make the finals, it should be regarded as an unmitigated disaster.

At least that is a problem Leaf fans don't have to endure, failure when being great.

Under the cap system they are really screwed. They had the biggest budget surplus to work with for the last 40 years to build a team and got nowhere. Now they are strapped by the cap so it should get really ugly. They have not invested in good scouting or management. Don't kid yourself though,  MLSE is more than happy with the new cap system. It is an excuse to get richer, spend less, maintain a unprecedented bad product vs. profit rating -  and all the while rake in money hand over fist.

I Still find it funny.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2006, 08:15:05 AM by SensOwn »

Offline Broken Bones

• Public Relations Guy...
  • Global Moderator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • I'm the pain in your ass...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2006, 08:18:54 AM »
Wow. Way to completely miss the point of my post. Amazing. :icon_duh:

What you fial to realize is that during the regular season we support the team for what they are accomplishing now.... In the playoffs when they can't succeed the fans rips apart the team pointing out the flaws.

There are many teams that are smart when spending their money on players, there are many teams that just make dumb moves once in a while.. and there are also a few teams that are completely idiotic when it comes to managing their money... Leafs are one of those teams, as were the Rangers, this year their investments seem to be paying off.

Fans here on this board will rip apart the Sens when there is a flaw, but it doe snot mean we cant criticise our rival, the leafs.

Offline armchaircoach

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • Got Wine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2006, 09:06:26 AM »
You know, the meat of Taffey's post is correct...however his past history of posting/gloating/sneering/and superiority as a leafertroll provides no creedence to his opinion, so....

Taf, save your pulpit speeches for the lemmings over at 1967forever.com
Wine is Life......the rest is just details

Offline taffey

• NHL Veteran
  • Me scored!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2006, 11:49:36 AM »
however his past history of posting/gloating/sneering/and superiority as a leafertroll provides no creedence to his opinion, so....

You know, I keep hearing this about me, but I've yet to see anyone dig up a post where I "sneer" at the Sens, or gloat.  I think I've been pretty fair in givng them credit for being a talented, competitive club (at least in the regular season!).  If i was a troll, I'd be over here everytime the Sens lost in the playoffs, or everytime they went into a slump.  But I'm not.  Doesn't happen.  Look it up.

Offline LostInTranslation

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2006, 12:20:00 PM »
Why are you here?
The chief export of Chuck Norris is pain.

Offline Funky McBain

• Future Hall of Famer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2006, 01:31:49 PM »
There can't possibly be any merit to this rumor, like it was said before, if they can't afford McCabe how can they afford Redden?  Ok McCabe has scored a few goals but that's only because of the PP and nothing more.  He's a vastly inferior defenceman to Redden, if you want proof watch some Olympic games, he wasn't anywhere near the caliber of our other guys.  If they can't afford him, then maybe he needs to take a pay cut, because it seems that the Leafs can't figure out how a cap works, and that you can't just pay anyone x billion dollars if they don't deserve it.
Stupendimus Geographicus

Offline Bill_Berg

• Draft Pick
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2006, 01:48:29 PM »
I fully expect Redden to be a Leaf next year and McCabe to be traded before the deadline this year.

Offline Docawesome

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • Sensnet mob
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ESPN.com
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2006, 01:55:23 PM »
I fully expect Redden to be a Leaf next year and McCabe to be traded before the deadline this year.

I agree. I don't think McCabe will be traded though. This would put the Leafs in a deeper hole defencively than they already are. Although JFJ would be wise to get a 1st or 2nd rounder for him now instead of watch him walk away at the end of the season.
Regarding Redden, I really think he'll be a Leaf in the near future. Atleast, he'll be respected there. This guy is one of the best defencemen in the league but he just doesn't get enough respect here.

"The upper class: keeps all of the money, pays none of the taxes.  The middle class: pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.  The poor are there...just to scare the shit out of the middle class."

Offline Docawesome

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • Sensnet mob
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2006, 01:58:40 PM »
Is that Taffey?

I see mommy let you out of your room. 

"The upper class: keeps all of the money, pays none of the taxes.  The middle class: pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.  The poor are there...just to scare the shit out of the middle class."

Offline Bill_Berg

• Draft Pick
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2006, 02:00:25 PM »
I agree. I don't think McCabe will be traded though. This would put the Leafs in a deeper hole defencively than they already are. Although JFJ would be wise to get a 1st or 2nd rounder for him now instead of watch him walk away at the end of the season.
Regarding Redden, I really think he'll be a Leaf in the near future. Atleast, he'll be respected there. This guy is one of the best defencemen in the league but he just doesn't get enough respect here.

I am assuming the Leafs will be smart and not hurt themselves to make the playoffs this year.  If they make it great, but if they trade youth for old age, or lose McCabe to free agency for nothing they be complete morons.  I also doubt the Leafs will keep Kaberle, McCabe and get another expensive defenseman (Redden).

Offline Docawesome

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • Sensnet mob
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2006, 02:09:09 PM »
I am assuming the Leafs will be smart and not hurt themselves to make the playoffs this year.  If they make it great, but if they trade youth for old age, or lose McCabe to free agency for nothing they be complete morons.  I also doubt the Leafs will keep Kaberle, McCabe and get another expensive defenseman (Redden).

If they don't make the playoffs and trade McCabe now for a draft pick, the Leafs would get 2 good prospects at the draft. Although I don't see them rolling and dying in order to get the high pick, San Fran wouldn't do it even when Reggie Bush was on the line.
Imagine where the Leafs would be now with Boyes, McCauley, the few 1st and 2nd rounders, and Kondartiev(sp?).

Offline Bill_Berg

• Draft Pick
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2006, 02:13:06 PM »
If they don't make the playoffs and trade McCabe now for a draft pick, the Leafs would get 2 good prospects at the draft. Although I don't see them rolling and dying in order to get the high pick, San Fran wouldn't do it even when Reggie Bush was on the line.
Imagine where the Leafs would be now with Boyes, McCauley, the few 1st and 2nd rounders, and Kondartiev(sp?).

I'm not sure how the lottery works but if the Leafs barely miss the playoffs they must have a decent chance at a decent pick.  Or they could trade McCabe for prospects rather than picks.  I just don't see them paying him that much which means he's gone next year, which means they should get what they can for him now.

Offline Hatch

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2006, 02:19:30 PM »
I'm not sure how the lottery works but if the Leafs barely miss the playoffs they must have a decent chance at a decent pick. 

If the season ended today, the Leafs would own the 10th slot in the draft, meaning they could pick no worse than 11th, and no higher than 6th.
Hatch

I'm broke, I'm bored and I'm back.

Offline Bill_Berg

• Draft Pick
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2006, 02:31:25 PM »
If the season ended today, the Leafs would own the 10th slot in the draft, meaning they could pick no worse than 11th, and no higher than 6th.

6th isn't too bad, even 11th is decent.  The one good thing the Leafs did this year is spend a lot of money on a scouting staff.  They may actually make some good picks this year, I know if sounds crazy but it could happen.