Author Topic: One goal games/Blowing third period leads...  (Read 3646 times)

Offline Centurian420

• Future Hall of Famer
    • View Profile
Re: One goal games/Blowing third period leads...
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2007, 11:12:33 AM »
i think Redden just isn't playing to his potential, or what he's being paid.
It seems that for our #1 D, he just doesn't seem to be playing as solid as he needs to be.
Like others have said, for a veteran, this is simply not adequate.

I'm over not getting Roberts, buy thats exactly what our team needs.
Our forward lines are producing, but we just can't keep up the lead.
That being said, if the forwards aren't putting any pressure on their openents for the FULL 60min, and we let slow teams like the leafs speed all over us, then it doesn't matter how good your D is if you're getting bombarded by shots and chances, or not being able to set-up.
What I'd like to know is, where is our forechecking.

Dammit Murry, stop being so complacent and get some results.
If Maurice can beat us with the Marlies, what does that say about 20mil of our salary.
We've had a talented team for a while, and sure, some years we're missing A+ goaltending, or maybe the scoring touch...whatever.
We have a solid team, and it seems we're missing the coaching touch.
Just what does he tell thses guys in the 2nd intermission!!

whatever happened to  :pizza:
When Alfie goes, we're f@ked

Offline stone169

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2007, 02:43:11 PM »
I think it all starts with coaching. 

Perfect example.  My youngest son's team had a game this morning and we got up 2-0 early in the first.  One of the kids mentioned to me that this was great.  I reminded them that being up 2-0 doesn't matter much until the final buzzer.  The kids for the most part worked pretty hard for the rest of game and we won 2-0.

Where did it all start?  It all started with us coaches making sure that the kids worked hard and didn't take a shift off.

There's enough leadership on this team.  It's time for Murray to start calling players out.  Whether it be on the bench, in the locker room or in the media.
There are good coaches and there are bad coaches, the real question is "Do you want this person to be a role model to your kids for the next 6 months".  That's the question you have to ask yourself.

Go Sarnia Jr. Sting Minor Midget MD!!!!!

Offline psahlgren

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • Stanley to Ottawa 2014-2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2007, 07:04:28 PM »
Just citing one of my buddies what he recently posted in my Yahoo Fantasy league, he is absolutely fed up with Muckler and Murray and has been for a  long time...
(hope you don't mind Rick)

" Well, Ottawa has gone and done it now.

They had a chance to crush Toronto but instead have given them the energy and drive to get into the playoffs.

Poor sad Ottawa and its incompetent coach. They do not have any veterans, no experience in playoffs and definitely no leadership. Combine these obvious facts about the players plus a now proven incompetence of the coach and you have the script for the past 5 or 6 playoffs ready to roll.

I would like to see Toronto get into the playoffs and ideally face Ottawa early. This would be the nightmare scenario that Muckler, Murray and the players so richly deserve. The fans will see the same old same old and I will there to say. I TOLD YOU SO!

Stupid Ottawa. They just don't get it. "
« Last Edit: March 12, 2007, 07:14:15 PM by psahlgren »

"We feel we've been playing playoff hockey for a while now." - Andrew Hammond

Offline Budkiller

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2007, 08:43:16 PM »
This is exactly the point.
We don't know how to to do this.
So when it comes to close games (which playoff games generally are) we can't "scrape out the win tooth and nail."

I completely agree.  It's taken 2 years for this shortcoming to really come to light.  It was about this time last year that some of us brought up Ottawa's poor record in 1-goal games.  This team has not shown (in years) an ability to play an urgent style of hockey.  They have not shown that they can match the intensity and desperation of their opponents. 

They need to treat every play like it could be the defining moment in the game and treat every game like it could be the defining moment in their season.  I think it was Jack Armstrong (on the Fan590 tonight) who said it best:

"If I don't make this block......"
"If I don't make this shot......."
"If I don't dive for this ball......"
"If I don't make this free-throw...."

".....it could be our season."

Until they learn this, no lead will be safe in the playoffs.  And frankly, there's no better time to master this than in the regular season.  No team is going to let you figure it out in the playoffs.

Offline humanhighlightreel

• Future Hall of Famer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2007, 08:01:50 PM »
Yeah I'm tired of going into the playoffs with the same team year after year. I mean... the players come and go but management never gets the type of guy that everyone knows we need. You have how many hockey experts saying that Ottawa needs a guy like Roberts and Muckler goes out and gets Oleg Saprykin, who, no disrespect to him, is basically the same iterchangeable third line player that muckler has gone out and gotten every year. He never manages to get THE guy we need to put us over the top. Bondra? We didn't need a guy like that.

I just don't get it. I've said this before about Sens management. If there are two guys with 1.5 mil salaries - one is a young guy with some potential and the other is a grizzled veteran who only has a year or two left and can only get you 10-15 goals (but they will be big ones) - the Sens will take the young guy. If it's me, and Florida is asking for Vermette and a pick for Roberts, you take that deal. Eaves and Vermette, to me, are absolutely interchangeable. Roberts is not.

I think a lot of Senators players were expecting Roberts, what with all the talk. They were looking forward to it. And we didn't get him. And you know what? They haven't been the same team since the deadline.

Offline psahlgren

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • Stanley to Ottawa 2014-2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2007, 08:11:41 PM »
And you know what? They haven't been the same team since the deadline.
Actually they havent been the same since Spezzas return from his injury

"We feel we've been playing playoff hockey for a while now." - Andrew Hammond

Offline SzuperChicky

• Global Moderator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • Offcial Coach Clouston Groupie
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2007, 10:14:12 PM »
Actually they havent been the same since Spezzas return from his injury

Which is also the same time Fisher returned to the lineup...

When you have two of your better players out of the lineup for a long period of time, and the coach is forced to call up other players and mix up the lines ... then the injured players suddenly come back at the same time -- of course the team isn't going to play well.  The chemistry is gone.

Look at Spezza and Fishers stats since being back, it neither of their faults, it was a matter of chemistry.

It's also Spezza's fault that Redden's starting to go bald, isn't it?
Game Day & Prediction Threads HERE

Douchebag List:
Dany Heatley, Corey Perry, Bill McCreary, Dave Branch, Ryan Kesler

Offline butterfly_style

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • The Puck Stops Here
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2007, 08:31:22 AM »
It's also Spezza's fault that Redden's starting to go bald, isn't it?
And, there you have the answer to Redden's sub-par play !

Offline Broken Bones

• Public Relations Guy...
  • Global Moderator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • I'm the pain in your ass...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2007, 01:11:05 PM »
Who felt more comfortable with the Sens down by two goals than they do when the Sens are up by two goals? I didn't get to watch the game last night but it was a question raised on The Bear this morning, and I would have to go with their consensus that it would be easier to watch the game with them down by 2 goals.

Offline Small Town

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2007, 03:32:37 PM »
Who felt more comfortable with the Sens down by two goals than they do when the Sens are up by two goals? I didn't get to watch the game last night but it was a question raised on The Bear this morning, and I would have to go with their consensus that it would be easier to watch the game with them down by 2 goals.
I didn't watch either but kept an eye on the bottom of the screen ticker on other games and must admit I felt better when they were down a goal, even two in the early going, than being up two. 
It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

Offline gared66

• Hall of Fame Inductee
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2007, 10:38:31 PM »
Its definitely a cause for concern... but I honestly don't think its that big a worry. Its the regular season, they assume they have teams beat... and that is worth criticizing, so criticize away.. but I don't think they'll take games that lightly in the playoffs. Lets only hope the sens find themselves up in a hockey game in the playoffs. I have faith they wouldn't take that for granted. I still say the sens are much more a playoff team than previous years. Lets hope I'm right.

Offline Budkiller

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2007, 11:00:58 PM »
Its definitely a cause for concern... but I honestly don't think its that big a worry. Its the regular season, they assume they have teams beat... and that is worth criticizing, so criticize away.. but I don't think they'll take games that lightly in the playoffs. Lets only hope the sens find themselves up in a hockey game in the playoffs. I have faith they wouldn't take that for granted. I still say the sens are much more a playoff team than previous years. Lets hope I'm right.

My worry is not that they'll go into the playoffs with the wrong mentality, e.g. taking games "lightly," especially with the lead.  It's that they simply have not shown the ability to take their game intensity to the next level.  Lately, they have not demonstrated the urgency that other teams have.

I have no doubt that they'll take playoff games more seriously than regular season games.  I just think that some other teams have mastered the art of clutch playing. 

Offline CrustyOldGuy

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2007, 11:17:38 PM »
SensOwn has me scared...s/he is repeating what I get pounded with every day...being on TO turf (Durham Region), I am tired of Leaf Loser fans telling me how they spanked us in previous years.

Now I am listening to the same thing this year...gets down to the clutch, and we are starting to slow down, then we will choke in the playoffs.  Best I got, is "at least we make it".

For once it would be great to make it to the finals, so I could finally shut them up!!

Got a small bet on that if we last longer than the Losers, they wear my jersey in the office for a day...I will post pictures!!

Now that I am older, I thought it was great that I seemed to have more patience.  Turns out I just don't give a damn.

I don't have an attitude...I have a personality you can't handle!

Offline rose

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2007, 11:19:01 PM »
 :icon_agree:  Budkiller.  I guess time will tell.......
"If you can't make up your mind, 'What the hell' is usually the right answer."  Ellen Reid Smith

Offline armchaircoach

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • Got Wine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2007, 11:46:02 PM »
SensOwn has me scared...s/he is repeating what I get pounded with every day...being on TO turf (Durham Region), I am tired of Leaf Loser fans telling me how they spanked us in previous years.

Now I am listening to the same thing this year...gets down to the clutch, and we are starting to slow down, then we will choke in the playoffs. Best I got, is "at least we make it".

For once it would be great to make it to the finals, so I could finally shut them up!!

Got a small bet on that if we last longer than the Losers, they wear my jersey in the office for a day...I will post pictures!!

fear not my friend, stay around long enough and you will become numb to the chicken littles around here... I feel your pain being in the heart of Buffalo/Tranna land, I get it from all sides... I try to stir it up once in a while, but for the most part I do my best to sit back quietly and wait for my chance to do my Stanley Cup happy dance! 
Wine is Life......the rest is just details

Offline rose

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2007, 10:30:41 AM »

Now I am listening to the same thing this year...gets down to the clutch, and we are starting to slow down, then we will choke in the playoffs. Best I got, is "at least we make it".

It's for comments like that I don't venture to S. Ontario much to visit the in-laws......they say you shouldn't borrow money from relatives.  I think it's a worse situation when you cheer for opposing teams!  You just CANNOT talk about it!!! ;)

DO send pictures, though, if you win the bet!  Gotta ask though....do you have to wear a Leafs jersey if you lose?
"If you can't make up your mind, 'What the hell' is usually the right answer."  Ellen Reid Smith

Offline CrustyOldGuy

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2007, 07:08:08 PM »
Yes Rose, I will... :icon_nono:

Basically it is first team eliminated wears the others jersey for a day.  Have a Montreal fan in on the bet too.

For some reason Habs fans are easier to live with...we both havre the same goal...eliminate the Losers :yahoo:

Well...time to go watch the Islanders match-up.

Beginning to REALLY like this Centre Ice package...had the Sens, Leafs and Habs games all going at the same time on Tuesday!  Tonight is a light night.

Now that I am older, I thought it was great that I seemed to have more patience.  Turns out I just don't give a damn.

I don't have an attitude...I have a personality you can't handle!

Offline gared66

• Hall of Fame Inductee
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2007, 08:32:20 PM »
I hear you, that's exactly the problem. I still think they look better this year, at least they find ways to score when they're behind. Still, 8-18 is way worse than I thought it was, my god. But I bet a lot of that is from the last two weeks as well, mostly blowing leads.

I'm gonna be positive about it. Even is the stats don't back me up, that was the biggest problem last year, and I think they look better. This year its not so much about getting back into games, the sens have found ways, its about keeping leads, and I doubt they'll be blowing them in the playoffs like the last couple weeks. I seriously think that stat is inflated by the last two weeks. I don't think it characterizes the whole season.

How they play in the late third period when tied and ot definitely has to improve though.

Offline Budkiller

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2007, 10:46:17 PM »
It's for comments like that I don't venture to S. Ontario much to visit the in-laws......they say you shouldn't borrow money from relatives. I think it's a worse situation when you cheer for opposing teams! You just CANNOT talk about it!!! ;)

I must be fortunate.  I live in Toronto but most of my friends (who are Leaf fans) actually respect the Sens.  There's a touch of envy from them when we debate hockey and only seldomly does "choke" come into the conversation.  And they expect to lose when their Leafs play the Sens.

However, almost all of them hate Alfie.