Author Topic: "Emery, McGrattan duke it out."  (Read 7847 times)

Offline Jasonf6

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • The good 'ol days
    • View Profile
Re: "Emery, McGrattan duke it out."
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2008, 07:16:55 PM »
TSN Broadband has a report by Brent Wallace from SBP and talks about it, adding: "Ray accused Gratts of butting in front of him during on ice warm-ups"

Scuse me?  Butting in front?  What were they doing, going to a movie?  Grow up :)

Offline go_sens_go55555

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • Snooooop
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2008, 07:36:57 PM »
I'm not accusing emery or gratts on this. I hear a lot of people say "this stuff happens all the time" but it really doesn't unless you're in an elemantary school yard. You have to have some problems with emotional balance if you start a full out fight with a teamate because one cut you off in a drill or a skate. Sure they're competitive guys but you can't tell me some millionaire business men aren't competitive and never got in heated debates with co workers but they don't have a full fledged fight about it. Theres a line between being competitive and being stupid.
GO SENS GO!!!!!

Offline Bender

• Future Hall of Famer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2008, 07:58:09 PM »
I wonder who won the fight... :laugh2:
Anyways, It's a well known fact that Emery and McGrattan are long time friends. They laughed it off afterwards, and I bet they're having a beer together tonight. It's really no big deal. Just a good edge and some passion shown by two tough players, who are also good friends, at practice. Nothing wrong with that! :thumbsup:

Offline Broken Bones

• Public Relations Guy...
  • Global Moderator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • I'm the pain in your ass...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2008, 07:59:59 PM »
I'm not accusing emery or gratts on this. I hear a lot of people say "this stuff happens all the time" but it really doesn't unless you're in an elemantary school yard. You have to have some problems with emotional balance if you start a full out fight with a teamate because one cut you off in a drill or a skate. Sure they're competitive guys but you can't tell me some millionaire business men aren't competitive and never got in heated debates with co workers but they don't have a full fledged fight about it. Theres a line between being competitive and being stupid.

Its called "downplaying", do you seriously believe it was caused due to Grats butting in line?

Offline FV

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2008, 08:03:14 PM »
I wonder who won the fight... :laugh2:
Anyways, It's a well known fact that Emery and McGrattan are long time friends. They laughed it off afterwards, and I bet they're having a beer together tonight. It's really no big deal. Just a good edge and some passion shown by two tough players, who are also good friends, at practice. Nothing wrong with that! :thumbsup:

Damn right!  Boys will be boys so let em brawl! 

I've gone toe to toe with my 3 best friends on more than one occasion.  No big deal.  One of them even played on another team than I did and we scrapped on the ice all the time.  I'd still pick him up the next day to drive him to school though.  We'd laugh about it.
Proud member of the P.P.A. since 2008.

Offline SzuperChicky

• Global Moderator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • Offcial Coach Clouston Groupie
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2008, 08:03:42 PM »
I'm not accusing emery or gratts on this. I hear a lot of people say "this stuff happens all the time"

Maybe because it does.
Game Day & Prediction Threads HERE

Douchebag List:
Dany Heatley, Corey Perry, Bill McCreary, Dave Branch, Ryan Kesler

Offline go_sens_go55555

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • Snooooop
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2008, 08:50:24 PM »
Maybe because it does.

No, it doesn't. i'll pick out a random team...detroit...when was the last time they had a fight during practice? eh?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2008, 08:53:06 PM by go_sens_go55555 »
GO SENS GO!!!!!

Offline go_sens_go55555

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • Snooooop
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2008, 08:51:30 PM »
Its called "downplaying", do you seriously believe it was caused due to Grats butting in line?

No but i bet it was something really dumb and immature.

The only reason they should be fist fighting is if one showed complete lack of respect towards an other otherwise they should be more mature about it and solve their problems with words, not fists. Secondly if it was because of a total lack of respect then theres big problem.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2008, 08:55:05 PM by go_sens_go55555 »
GO SENS GO!!!!!

Offline moxie

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • A Proud Member of The P.P.A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2008, 09:19:00 PM »
No, it doesn't. i'll pick out a random team...detroit...when was the last time they had a fight during practice? eh?

Buddy, that is not a random team, you know full well they are a team of *******.  ;) As if Hasek would go toe-to-toe with Lilja. Give me a break.

It doesn't happen often where a heavyweight enforcer fights a goalie, but in Ray's case I think it's a good thing. Ray is WAY better when he is pissed off, and even Paddock said he'd like to see more of this from him when he took over.

Plus, I bet it was an awesome fight.  :drink:
« Last Edit: January 07, 2008, 09:21:13 PM by moxie »
He could drink like hell, he could fight like hell.

Offline FV

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2008, 09:23:21 PM »
Actually, I'm pretty sure Gratt's held back.  He would have killed Emery.

Offline Jasonf6

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • The good 'ol days
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2008, 09:29:11 PM »
Actually, I'm pretty sure Gratt's held back.  He would have killed Emery.

Ya, I'm not sure about killing Emery.  Ray can fight with the best of them and half the time would prob win.  If not for his goalie gear holding him back I think he would have given Grats a run for his money.  Now, I never agree with a skater fighting a goalie.  Not sure what started this (I don't believe them or the papers), but it shouldn't have happened.  Not only because Ray has to be careful with the wrist, but because he is at an automatic disadvantage because of his gear. 

Offline go_sens_go55555

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • Snooooop
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2008, 09:32:23 PM »
Buddy, that is not a random team, you know full well they are a team of *******. ;) As if Hasek would go toe-to-toe with Lilja. Give me a break.

It doesn't happen often where a heavyweight enforcer fights a goalie, but in Ray's case I think it's a good thing. Ray is WAY better when he is pissed off, and even Paddock said he'd like to see more of this from him when he took over.

Plus, I bet it was an awesome fight. :drink:

lol ok ok,i picked detroit knowing their *******. You can say the word lol. I don't want to read the code of conduct again but im guessing whatever can be said on TV and the radio can be said here.

As for what im trying to say. people shrug it off like it happens every day. If thats normal in your workplace, then you must work in the complete ghetto. I don't know why people ignore the fact that 2 of our team members just proved that they're immature and can't settle things with words. Sure a game is different.

I've played competitive and some junior and no where was there fights in practice. The only time you see that is when you have a headcase on your team like downie. The worst you would get is shoving matches or chirping. We wanted to win as bad as they do, yet when we were on losing streaks we didnt stoop down to idiocy level and start fighting each other.
GO SENS GO!!!!!

Offline Broken Bones

• Global Moderator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2008, 09:34:41 PM »
No but i bet it was something really dumb and immature.

The only reason they should be fist fighting is if one showed complete lack of respect towards an other otherwise they should be more mature about it and solve their problems with words, not fists. Secondly if it was because of a total lack of respect then theres big problem.

Right, just like two combatants will talk it out with words during a game... as they go to the penalty box.

Offline adh

• NHL Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2008, 09:35:51 PM »
Whatever.  They've been team mates for a number of years and have become friends.  It was nothing and probably another step towards Ray getting his game edge back.

I would have to agree with Jasonf6 though that Ray had better not bust up his wrist.

Offline go_sens_go55555

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • Snooooop
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2008, 09:36:29 PM »
Right, just like two combatants will talk it out with words during a game... as they go to the penalty box.

Theres a huge difference between other teams, and your own teamates. If you don't know the difference then...nvm.
GO SENS GO!!!!!

Offline FV

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2008, 09:45:27 PM »
Ya, I'm not sure about killing Emery. Ray can fight with the best of them and half the time would prob win. If not for his goalie gear holding him back I think he would have given Grats a run for his money. Now, I never agree with a skater fighting a goalie. Not sure what started this (I don't believe them or the papers), but it shouldn't have happened. Not only because Ray has to be careful with the wrist, but because he is at an automatic disadvantage because of his gear.

A guy who fights for a living and has a 40lb weight advantage against a goalie.  Yeah, I think he'd kill him.

Hey, Emery seems to be a tough goalie.  I'll give him that.  He even hung in with Peters but personally I don't think Peters is a great fighter and he still beat Ray (contrary to the smile on Emery's face).  Anyway, who cares?  They are buddies and teammates who had a little scrap.  It happens.

Offline Broken Bones

• Global Moderator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2008, 09:56:32 PM »
Theres a huge difference between other teams, and your own teamates. If you don't know the difference then...nvm.

So its a one way street? What about everybody that ever plays for Team Canada? At any level. At some point in their careers they faced off with one another as opponents, yet they unite and play for Team Canada, but once they go back to their respective teams, all bets are off.  How can it not be reversible between teamates, especially  those who are friends?

Growing up my brother and I would get into some big fights ourselves, as we got older we began to be able to look at it all and laugh about it.  Hell, just a few years ago we were on a trip with one another and we got on each others nerves, we started to fight,  I took a few punches, threw some of my own until I could restrain him on the couch and then threatened to noogie him, where I then let go because we were laughing so hard.

Offline FV

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2008, 09:59:17 PM »
SzuperChicky is right and she does know what she's talking about.

She's forgotten more about the game than alot of fans will ever know.

Offline SzuperChicky

• Global Moderator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • Offcial Coach Clouston Groupie
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2008, 10:01:17 PM »

Believe it or not it does.  Ask any media, player personell or staff (out of the spotlight).  It happens.  Obviously not every practice, but a lot more frequently than you think. 

And at every level.  OHL, AHL, you name it (and not just hockey).

You don't need to believe me, but I know what I'm talking about.  I've witnessed quite a few.
Game Day & Prediction Threads HERE

Douchebag List:
Dany Heatley, Corey Perry, Bill McCreary, Dave Branch, Ryan Kesler

Offline go_sens_go55555

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • Snooooop
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2008, 10:01:22 PM »
So its a one way street? What about everybody that ever plays for Team Canada? At any level. At some point in their careers they faced off with one another as opponents, yet they unite and play for Team Canada, but once they go back to their respective teams, all bets are off. How can it not be reversible between teamates, especially those who are friends?

Growing up my brother and I would get into some big fights ourselves, as we got older we began to be able to look at it all and laugh about it. Hell, just a few years ago we were on a trip with one another and we got on each others nerves, we started to fight, I took a few punches, threw some of my own until I could restrain him on the couch and then threatened to noogie him, where I then let go because we were laughing so hard.

Siblings is totally different.

What are you even trying to get at with the team canada comment? Theres a difference between fighting an ex teamate and a present teamate. All these points your coming up with aren't even relevent in anyways.

Fighting with a coworker and a sibling is not at all the same. Neither is fighting with a player not on your team(but once was), and a player on your team.
GO SENS GO!!!!!