Author Topic: F*** City Hall!  (Read 31140 times)

Offline MEAT

• Hall of Fame Inductee
    • View Profile
Re: F*** City Hall!
« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2008, 06:32:32 AM »
I hear those things are awfully loud....

Offline Broken Bones

• Public Relations Guy...
  • Global Moderator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • I'm the pain in your ass...
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2008, 07:17:49 AM »
So long dental plan!... Lisa needs braces.

Oh, wrong episode.

Offline rose

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2008, 08:36:01 AM »
Is there a monorail system running in a cold climate like ours?  Just wondering.  Not saying it is not an efficient system (since I don't study transportation systems, so admittedly I am no expert).

I saw the news clip about the street that they are looking to expropriate and my apologies since it is an extension of the current transitway system that the city is trying to effect.  So, undoubtedly, the plan IS in place and has been for some time.  My question now is for how long has the planning been in place?  Before these houses were built or in the "recent" (say ten years) past?  Either way, I would not want to be in the shoes of those folks.  Difficult situation to be sure.
"If you can't make up your mind, 'What the hell' is usually the right answer."  Ellen Reid Smith

Offline butterfly_style

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • The Puck Stops Here
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2008, 10:38:59 AM »
If you've ever been to Walt Disney World, you know how effective their monorail system is. The transportation system there is amazing - buses, monorail system, boats - a lot of urban developers could learn from them.
Yes, if only Ottawa had unlimited funds like Disney . . .we could have the best transportation system EVER !

Offline Metalhawk

• Head-Bangin'-
  • Administrator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • Some Heads Are Gonna Roll!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2008, 01:11:06 PM »
I saw the news clip about the street that they are looking to expropriate and my apologies since it is an extension of the current transitway system that the city is trying to effect.  So, undoubtedly, the plan IS in place and has been for some time.  My question now is for how long has the planning been in place?  Before these houses were built or in the "recent" (say ten years) past?  Either way, I would not want to be in the shoes of those folks.  Difficult situation to be sure.

They considered expropriating those houses in 1994 for similar reasons. But those houses have been there for over 40 years.
"A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove that you donít need it"

Offline thirstymoose_2000

• Global Moderator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • There's Always 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 01, 2008, 04:49:12 PM »
Monorails are amazingly quiet.

All they are is an elecric engine powered by a line that is attached to the side of the rail platform. The train has a wheel on top and one at either side of the 'track'. I'm not sure how well a monorail would do in Ottawa - but I think they should take a step back and take a closer look at extending the Otrain on rail lines.
2011-2012 Season of the Young Guns!

Offline MEAT

• Hall of Fame Inductee
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 01, 2008, 05:06:15 PM »
I was in Vancouver last summer and was very impressed with the Skytrain system that they have here - but I'm not sure if Ottawa has the population base for an endeavour like that.

Offline Broken Bones

• Global Moderator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2008, 10:22:24 AM »
The problem with Ottawa is we are a very large "small town", but an extremely small "big city".

Offline Metalhawk

• Head-Bangin'-
  • Administrator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 07, 2008, 12:54:39 AM »
And money keeps getting thrown around...

The City of Ottawa delivered a one million dollar cheque to Siemens last year for the now cancelled North-South Light Rail Light Rail Transit contract.

The Community and Protective Services Committee learned of the payout while reviewing contracts worth more than $25-thousand awarded last year.

The one million dollar honorarium is listed in the Light Rail Transit File.

Councillor Diane Deans tells CFRA News that since Siemens has launched a lawsuit against the City of Ottawa, City Staff should have informed Council of the payment.

Staff insist the payment was listed in a previous document.

The two losing bidders for the now cancelled project each received one million dollars.

http://www.cfra.com/?cat=1&nid=56741

WTF??? Now even the losing bidders get paid for not having to do any work?  :icon_banghead: :icon_banghead: :icon_banghead:
"A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove that you donít need it"

Offline Metalhawk

• Head-Bangin'-
  • Administrator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 27, 2008, 12:52:01 PM »
More taxes coming up.

In an effort to speed up repairs of existing infrastructure and other municipal facilities, the City of Ottawa will apply a two percent levy on all property tax bills over the next three years.

The levy is expected to generate $120-million by 2010 which will be put toward $360-million in repairs and upgrades.

City officials expect the levy to generate $20-million this year, most of which will be used for bridge and road repairs.

The city also plans to spend $140-million on water and sewer repairs through the course of 2008, in the wake of water main ruptures in recent weeks.

http://www.cfra.com/?cat=1&nid=57141

What a dirty bunch of crooks.

Offline rose

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 27, 2008, 01:12:37 PM »
I am not surprised if only because with the lack of tax increases over the past decade, one wonders how in god's name the City could keep up with the obvious maintenance of infrastructure, etc.  With overpasses collapsing in other parts of the continent, my guess is that they "suddenly" realized that their "no taxes" would ring rather hollow if aging overpasses, etc. here started collapsing!!

I don't like increases either but sometimes one just has to suck it up!

With that said, I would hope that they would get their heads out of their collective butts and STOP with the concert halls and other "frills" that they just can't seem to stay away from!! :shake:
"If you can't make up your mind, 'What the hell' is usually the right answer."  Ellen Reid Smith

Offline Broken Bones

• Global Moderator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 27, 2008, 01:25:08 PM »
That is what bugs me most rose, is that they make these exuberant plans for shit we do not need, and then to us when they need more cash for the "essential services" when everything was wasted on useless projects.

So, let me get this straight. The snow levy did not pass and instead the city used funds provided by the province for infrastructure for the snow budget as for some reason they do not want to touch the funds set aside for a concert hall or something that can not even get off the ground because those who want it can't get their shit together.  Now they want to impose a levy to make up for the shortfall in the funds meant for the infrastructure?

Douche bags!

Offline Metalhawk

• Head-Bangin'-
  • Administrator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 27, 2008, 02:52:38 PM »
I am not surprised if only because with the lack of tax increases over the past decade, one wonders how in god's name the City could keep up with the obvious maintenance of infrastructure, etc.  With overpasses collapsing in other parts of the continent, my guess is that they "suddenly" realized that their "no taxes" would ring rather hollow if aging overpasses, etc. here started collapsing!!

I don't like increases either but sometimes one just has to suck it up!

The part that pisses me off is that City Hall came out recently beaming, telling us how the tax increase will 'only' be 4.9%, because it could have been higher, but by digging, they were able to cut back.

Then, there was the whole snow levy fiasco that caused an uproar in the city. So they quickly cancelled it, and as Bones mentionned, they used money given by the government for infrastructure to cover it. And now there's the infrastructure levy, that will basically add 2% to your taxes for 3 years.

I can't wait to get the hell out of this town. I'm sure many places are full of crooks at city hall, including my destination in Florida, but this level of incompetence has got to rank top-3 in Canada for sure.

Offline rose

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 27, 2008, 02:56:34 PM »
That is what bugs me most rose, is that they make these exuberant plans for shit we do not need, and then to us when they need more cash for the "essential services" when everything was wasted on useless projects.

So, let me get this straight. The snow levy did not pass and instead the city used funds provided by the province for infrastructure for the snow budget as for some reason they do not want to touch the funds set aside for a concert hall or something that can not even get off the ground because those who want it can't get their shit together.  Now they want to impose a levy to make up for the shortfall in the funds meant for the infrastructure?

Douche bags!

Uh-huh!  You've got the general ebb and flow correct!  Even though the amount of money that they have put aside for the concert hall would not even come CLOSE to what they need for infrastructure, there is little doubt in my mind that they have other 'pet' projects that have money-lines attached to them.   :shake:

What it comes down to is Council's inability to prioritize and do what HAS to be done WHEN it has to be done in terms of essential services, IMHO.  Sure, people don't like tax hikes but keeping it to zero as they have over the years and only voting in favour of "feel good" or "squeaky wheel" things (ie concert halls) that fly under the radar of many but are, for me at least, not necessities like, hmmmmm, INFRASTRUCTURE is totally politicizing (aka pandering) things so that you can assure re-election.  And re-election is what they get....but, in the meantime, they cannot maintain service levels to the standards that are required.

/rant off (Besides I have a meeting that I am reading my documentation for and includes our school board budget!!  I really don't have the time to read all of the City's too!)

Offline rose

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 27, 2008, 03:00:55 PM »
The part that pisses me off is that City Hall came out recently beaming, telling us how the tax increase will 'only' be 4.9%, because it could have been higher, but by digging, they were able to cut back.

Then, there was the whole snow levy fiasco that caused an uproar in the city. So they quickly cancelled it, and as Bones mentionned, they used money given by the government for infrastructure to cover it. And now there's the infrastructure levy, that will basically add 2% to your taxes for 3 years.

I can't wait to get the hell out of this town. I'm sure many places are full of crooks at city hall, including my destination in Florida, but this level of incompetence has got to rank top-3 in Canada for sure.

I am not sure if they rank in the top-3 of the worst in Canada (because time is not there to thoroughly investigate such) but I will say that I vote on things that make me very unpopular with some of my constituents pretty much every other week.....but if it makes sense for the whole area, then sometimes it just needs to be done!  I respect when my constituents get in touch to tell me their 'side' of any issue;  then I tell them "our" side and even though they still might not agree, they at least understand why things happen the way they do.  At the end of the day, it's the only way to function, IMHO.  Sure, I might not get re-elected but the system ticks along nicely.

Oh...and by the way.  We have NEVER had an imbalanced budget. :nod:

Polliticians who run, at any level, because they think it's a "popularity" contest are just not cut out for the job, IMHO.  I might not win every election I have ever run in, but I can sleep at night.

Offline Metalhawk

• Head-Bangin'-
  • Administrator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 27, 2008, 03:05:47 PM »
The problem is that very few councillors actually care about the city. They care about getting anything and everything they can for their ward and their ward only. Harder doesn't care if Vanier becomes even more of a shithole than it already is, as long as her ward gets those few extra bucks for a new community theatre, or whatever.

Offline rose

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 27, 2008, 03:12:21 PM »
The problem is that very few councillors actually care about the city. They care about getting anything and everything they can for their ward and their ward only. Harder doesn't care if Vanier becomes even more of a shithole than it already is, as long as her ward gets those few extra bucks for a new community theatre, or whatever.

Actually, Jan cares more now for the rest of the wards than she used to (and I am not aware of any community theatre out here but I could have missed something!) but methinks that she might be rethinking running for mayor some time and she has to ingratiate herself to other areas, IMHO.  She used to be way more tunnel-visioned and she certainly had very narrow vision the first term into amalgamation since the Nepean city councillors were very resentful of being forced into an amalgamation, particularly since they had millions of dollars in reserve due to their "pay as you go" policies that they KNEW (and they were right) would likely NOT be adopted in the new structure of the city.

But, overall, I agree with what you said.  Many at the city councillor table DO worry most about their own area...and I can understand that.  The 'step' they are missing is putting the needs of their area into step with the bigger picture of the city as a whole.  A lot of taxpayers could also help their councillors see that big picture if they contacted not only their own councillor when they have an issue but ALL of them so all of the councillors know what residents are thinking on any given topic.  Most of the time, councillors are the sole advocates for their area because taxpayers don't put any pressure on the others.  I know whenever I email/write city hall, I send it to my councillor and cc it to all the rest!  And I tell my own ratepayers the same....call me, copy the others.

Offline Metalhawk

• Head-Bangin'-
  • Administrator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 27, 2008, 08:19:17 PM »
I used Jan and a theater as a fictional example.  :) It could have been any councilor and any number of local issues.

Offline rose

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 28, 2008, 01:51:00 AM »
I used Jan and a theater as a fictional example.  :) It could have been any councilor and any number of local issues.

Okay....I've been a little 'out of the loop' lately keeping up with the city!  Thought I had 'missed' something!!   :thumbsup:

Offline stone169

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 28, 2008, 07:38:59 AM »
At least you guys have councillors that care about your wards.  The only thing that Bob Monette cares about is who he can say "yes" to next.  He voted yes for the North/South LRT which only has a ridership of 4000 passengers per day while the East/West transit has a ridership of over 72000 per day.

The guy is all for making bus drivers bilingual so they can yell out stops like Blair, St. Laurent, and Hurdman in both official languages (I challenge anyone to show me saying those names changes from English to French).  What a waste of time and money.

I'm sure he's all for building that new proposed foot bridge by the Glebe.

The guy was all smiles when he found out about "Sewage Gate", instead of being hopping mad like Jellet.

My councillor is an utter joke.  I didn't vote for this guy and I won't ever vote for this guy.  I don't want a "Yes" man on city council.  I want a guy who's going to fight tooth and nail for his ward and his city.
There are good coaches and there are bad coaches, the real question is "Do you want this person to be a role model to your kids for the next 6 months".  That's the question you have to ask yourself.

Go Sarnia Jr. Sting Minor Midget MD!!!!!