Author Topic: Ok, I have to ask  (Read 3205 times)

Offline momr

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
Ok, I have to ask
« on: April 08, 2008, 10:45:05 AM »
What the heck is a spider??   :howdy:

Offline moxie

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • A Proud Member of The P.P.A.
    • View Profile
Re: Ok, I have to ask
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 11:25:00 AM »
Well I'm not positive on this but I believe they are made to scour the internet for search engines so they can stay current/relevant. They probably compile all sorts of information.
He could drink like hell, he could fight like hell.

Offline momr

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 11:52:00 AM »
Well I'm not positive on this but I believe they are made to scour the internet for search engines so they can stay current/relevant. They probably compile all sorts of information.

Thanks.  Interesting to note that these 'spiders' actually peruse specific threads.  Wonder what they are learning?  ;)

Offline Jasonf6

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • The good 'ol days
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 12:16:32 PM »
Dunno, I thought spiders had eight legs and made webs.  That or it's a car made my Mitsubishi; very nice car at that.

Offline BlindDruid

• Administrator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 12:31:19 PM »
I copied this from another post that had a similiar discussion:

A spider, or web crawler, is a relatively simple, automated program, or script, that methodically scans or "crawls" through Internet pages to create an index of of the data it's looking for. Alternative names for a web crawler include web spider, web robot, bot, crawler and automatic indexer.

A web crawler can be used for many purposes. Probably the most common use associated with the term is related to search engines. Search engines use web crawlers to collect information about what is out there on public web pages. Their primary purpose is to collect data so that when Internet surfers enter a search term on their site, they can quickly provide the surfer with relevant web sites.

When a search engine's web crawler visits a web page it "reads" the visible text, the hyperlinks, and the content of the various tags used in the site, such as keyword rich meta tags. Using the information gathered from the crawler, a search engine will then determine what the site is about and index the information. The website is then included in the search engine's database and its page ranking process.

Time passes, things change, the Sens WILL WIN the CUP. 
edit -  Hopefully within my lifetime.......