Author Topic: Bryan Murray's Shopping List  (Read 99049 times)

Offline psahlgren

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • Stanley to Ottawa 2014-2015
    • View Profile
Bryan Murray's Shopping List
« on: April 28, 2008, 05:02:12 PM »
Brian Campbell tops the charts when it comes to what the Senators might be looking for during the NHL offseason

http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/news/sports/senators/story.html?id=cfe942e9-576d-4276-a5f2-312bae44da5b&k=81137

PS... Ellis sounds interesting to me

"We feel we've been playing playoff hockey for a while now." - Andrew Hammond

Offline Sensfanwest

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
Re: Bryan Murray's Shopping List
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008, 06:30:02 PM »
I've always been a fan or rolston. I saw a lot of him in the NW div vs. vancouver and wow, he can turn a game around on his own. hardest slap shot in the league, he's a tough tough customer and he brings veteran presence.

I'd like to see campbell with the sens too. he'd be a good redden replacement because he's a good "first pass" guy. something redden used to be up until a couple of seasons ago.

I'm not sold on ellis quite yet. he could turn into a gerber. remember what a season gerber had getting the canes to where they were? remember his performance against team canada? ellis has 1 NHL season under his belt. maybe i'm traumatized to have confidence in goalies that have one good season...i wonder why that is ;)

Offline classmate

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 07:39:57 PM »
But for what Campbell will be asking for, I'm afraid he may turn "into" a Redden instead of a replacement.  That's a lot of money. 
How about Huet, what is he worth?

In any case, like the article hinted at, I am guessing who ever is approached for a job in Ottawa will have a lot of questions about last season's problems before making a decision.  I know I would/do.

Offline oz_sensfan

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • Go Go Gadget Arms
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 10:12:52 PM »
Rolston & someone who can move the puck from the back end.
Supporting the Sens frm Bris-Vegas!

Offline Stevo 15

• NHL Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 10:58:15 PM »
I still think it is time to let some of the kids play. My thoughts give Foligno Bass Lee have earned jobs for next season. and i wouldn't mind seeing Nikulun given a chance.

Offline Stevo 15

• NHL Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2008, 10:58:51 PM »
Also Elliot should be a back up to ellis or whoever they get.

Offline moxie

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • A Proud Member of The P.P.A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2008, 11:19:24 PM »
Christ, if Lee and Nikulin and company get a shot this year I might go suit up and try to get in on a tryout! If those little twirps deserve an NHL salary right now then I could be a Norris candidate.
He could drink like hell, he could fight like hell.

Offline work2play

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
    • Petition Spot - CBC is for all Canadians
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2008, 02:32:28 AM »
Brian Campbell tops the charts when it comes to what the Senators might be looking for during the NHL offseason

http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/news/sports/senators/story.html?id=cfe942e9-576d-4276-a5f2-312bae44da5b&k=81137

But with $39.4 million tied up in 12 players for next year (buying out Emery will make it about $37M for 11 players), I doubt they have the cap space to sign Campbell.

Aaron Ward is who should be on Murray's shopping list if Boston doesn't sign him by July 1.  He's got experience (and Cup rings) and will not get Campbell or Redden money.  You need money to sign Commodore or an experienced replacement (Jason Smith maybe?).  Meszaros also needs to be signed and Lee probably gets Richarson's spot (unless Murray was showcasing him in the playoffs as draft day trade bait).  At any rate a top 4 defenseman has to be on the top of the list.

Rolston would be a good signing for Ottawa, but again I doubt Ottawa has the cap space since he made more than Lapointe did last year.   I'm just hoping they get Vermette & Stillman signed and the D taken care of first.  I'd also like to see Donovan come back at about the same price as this year.  Don't think they will be able to keep Kelly (unless he signs for reasonable dollars). which means he will also have to be replaced (Foligno?).

Then there's the goal tending, an experienced backup to Gerber that isn't a side show would be nice.

Murray certainly has his work cut out for him the next couple months ...
Lost your job yet?  Keep buying foreign!

Offline moxie

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2008, 08:00:50 AM »
Philly would be stupid to pass on re-signing Jason Smith. I can't believe he didn't stay with the oil. He is an absolute warrior, possibly the biggest heart and soul player in the NHL.

Offline Budkiller

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2008, 08:54:35 AM »
At any rate a top 4 defenseman has to be on the top of the list.

We need a top 2 defenseman - a player who can do it all.  We need that guy who is going to finish top-15 in scoring among defensemen but also is responsible in his own end.  If I were Murray, I would pay well to get this player.

But for what Campbell will be asking for, I'm afraid he may turn "into" a Redden instead of a replacement.  That's a lot of money. 

We can't think like that.  GMs take risks.  Sure - it's a major pitfall of their job but all you can do is hope the risk is calculated and well-thought out.  At the end of the day / season / contract, you hope that your GM has made the right choice.  I understand that teams are more fiscally conservative in the cap era but you are not going to win without those elite-level players.

Aaron Ward is who should be on Murray's shopping list if Boston doesn't sign him by July 1.  He's got experience (and Cup rings) and will not get Campbell or Redden money. 

I don't really think Aaron brings us anything we don't already have.  He's never played a full season in his career and he's only cracked 20pts once.  Veteran leadership and Cup rings have not done much for Ottawa in the past few seasons.  Murray's approach in free agency should be the same as in the draft - go get the best player available that you can afford.

Offline Sugar J.Hyde

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • Go blow yourself up
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2008, 09:16:59 AM »
I don't think Murray can afford to take a risk on Ellis.  With all the talk about goaltending troubles in Ottawa, IF he wants to obtain a new tender, he would have to get a proven number 1.  I hope we get Campbell, Malone.........and I'll pray for a Meszaros for Jeff Carter trade.

Offline s3nsfan75

• Future Hall of Famer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2008, 12:27:33 PM »
I don't think Murray can afford to take a risk on Ellis.  With all the talk about goaltending troubles in Ottawa, IF he wants to obtain a new tender, he would have to get a proven number 1.
That's the problem there really aren't any proven number ones available upcoming unless of course you're talking my suggested Spezza for Luongo trade LMAO
  I hope we get Campbell, Malone.........and I'll pray for a Meszaros for Jeff Carter trade. 
I can't see Philly doing a straight up Carter --> Meszaros trade.  Maybe for a draft pick as well.  Malone would be a good fit on the second line, but the only problem is you sign vermette and stillman to second line money and you have fisher and malone on the second line then you start running into ice time problems then performance problems due to that lack of ice time.  I think keeping stillman is a good deal but I believe that if you want malone you're going to need to get rid of vermette.

IMHO of course

Who knows

Offline Budkiller

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2008, 02:12:00 PM »
That's the problem there really aren't any proven number ones available upcoming unless of course you're talking my suggested Spezza for Luongo trade

I agree.

#1 goalies are major investments these days and teams are going to be very reluctant to part with them.  Most teams will find it nearly impossible to deliver enough value to another team (with prospects, draft picks and trades) in order to get a goalie that's in or approaching his prime.  I don't even think that a package including Spezza will get Luongo out of Vancouver.  The only #1s out there that could be available are guys beyond their best years or nearing retirement - and these players are just not worth the investment (with Hasek perhaps being the exception).  You may get a season or two out of them but there is always younger and better goaltender who you will have to go up against in the playoffs.

I don't think Murray can afford to take a risk on Ellis.  With all the talk about goaltending troubles in Ottawa, IF he wants to obtain a new tender, he would have to get a proven number 1.

I don't know.  If you can't get a proven #1, what else can you do but take that risk?  Riding Gerber next year can be considered a "risk" so what not Dan Ellis or Wade Dubielewicz or Alex Auld.

Offline Metalhawk

• Head-Bangin'-
  • Administrator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • Some Heads Are Gonna Roll!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2008, 02:33:19 PM »
I don't know.  If you can't get a proven #1, what else can you do but take that risk?  Riding Gerber next year can be considered a "risk" so what not Dan Ellis or Wade Dubielewicz or Alex Auld.

Because either you lose cap space by buying out Gerber as well as Emery, or you're stuck with a $3.5 million backup.
"A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove that you donít need it"

Offline Budkiller

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2008, 03:05:55 PM »
My comments were really just directed at those who think that gambling on a young, unproven goaltender is riskier than going with Gerber.  You could argue (and we've seen that James Duthie at least has) that the modern era Senators have been one big goaltending experiment.  Since I don't think there is a #1 out there that can be bought, I'm not really willing to rule out anybody. 

Murray may have to eat cap space with Emery but Gerber has some trade value.  Still, I think Gerber is our starter in October.  But I'd like to see Elliott gwet 25-30 games.

Offline Stevo 15

• NHL Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2008, 12:09:10 AM »
Christ, if Lee and Nikulin and company get a shot this year I might go suit up and try to get in on a tryout! If those little twirps deserve an NHL salary right now then I could be a Norris candidate.
Well if my memory serves me wright Lee came in and played really well and earned a spot for last year.

Offline moxie

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2008, 12:17:32 AM »
I disagree... I don't think he has shown much besides some potential... He proved that he can be the 6th D man... Remember how good Meszaros looked in that role?

We should have kept Pothier, and canned Meszaros.

Offline Centurian420

• Future Hall of Famer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2008, 02:06:37 AM »
 :icon_agree:

Getting rid of Pothier was a terrible move.
That guy may not be a true elite defenseman, but as far as I can remember, he was pretty dam good, and not too pricey (what was it, 2.5). Seriously, either Murry finds some diamonds in the rough, or we're screwed.

And we all know it: 2005-7 were our years as true cup contenders. Maybe we have to tough it out for a bit, and rely on what we got. I just don't want to end up like the leafs, constantly re-tooling being 'contenders', but not doing squat.
I say let the kids play, and start planning for the next run.
When Alfie goes, we're f@ked

Offline Sugar J.Hyde

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • Go blow yourself up
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2008, 08:45:53 AM »

I guess the point I'm trying to make is if we already have a "risk" in net now, what's the point in going out and taking another risk with Ellis or Dube or Auld.  If we were going to make a goalie change it should be for a bonafide #1 i.e Luongo etc.

Offline Budkiller

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2008, 09:51:12 AM »
I guess the point I'm trying to make is if we already have a "risk" in net now, what's the point in going out and taking another risk with Ellis or Dube or Auld.  If we were going to make a goalie change it should be for a bonafide #1 i.e Luongo etc.

See....we're on the same page.

I guess we'll see if Murray can pry away a guy like Luongo away from his team.  I just have a feeling that our next true #1 will come from within (drafted and developed).  And I define a true #1 as somebody who will play 60-70 games for at least 3 seasons (preferably 4) and is younger than 35.  I know my criteria may sound unreasonable and there may not be many available goalies that fit this mold.  However, the alternative is a Kolzig or a Hasek or a Cujo for 1-2 seasons and this really doesn't make me feel all warm and fuzzy.