Author Topic: Bryan Murray's Shopping List  (Read 106258 times)

Offline stone169

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
Re: Bryan Murray's Shopping List
« Reply #500 on: July 30, 2008, 09:24:01 AM »
I'd rather keep Vermette over getting Parrish.
Why not have both?
There are good coaches and there are bad coaches, the real question is "Do you want this person to be a role model to your kids for the next 6 months".  That's the question you have to ask yourself.

Go Sarnia Jr. Sting Minor Midget MD!!!!!

Offline Sugar J.Hyde

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • Go blow yourself up
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: July 30, 2008, 09:49:26 AM »
I wanted so desperately for that trade proposal to not turn into an arguement about Jason Spezza.

Offline stiffler1000

• NHL Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: July 30, 2008, 11:03:56 AM »
It's hard because so many people on this thread and that I have spoken to are sick of waiting for Spezza to grow up. I was hoping that the Sens would trade Spezza this summer. I know he is talented, but it seems as though he has never taken his role on this team seriously. Alfie would play with no arms and no legs, but could you ever imagine Spezza taking a pay cut or playing while injured, not just banged up. I question Spezza commitment and character, and I'm not the only one, which is why a proposal for a guy like Nash is hard to take seriously. Only once, has Nash recorded over 60 ps. in a season. For the sake of argument, Nash and Spezza could actually be a closer deal than many would think. Nash has played 41 games more than Spezza, but has 69 fewer careen points. Linemates aside, Spezza is a better point producer and Nash is a better goal scorer and power forward. I guess it all depends on what a team is looking for.
"Leafs win the Stanley Cup, 2067!!!"  -my wife
I say 2167!!

Offline winterfan

• NHL Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: July 30, 2008, 11:19:27 AM »
It's hard because so many people on this thread and that I have spoken to are sick of waiting for Spezza to grow up. I was hoping that the Sens would trade Spezza this summer. I know he is talented, but it seems as though he has never taken his role on this team seriously. Alfie would play with no arms and no legs, but could you ever imagine Spezza taking a pay cut or playing while injured, not just banged up. I question Spezza commitment and character, and I'm not the only one, which is why a proposal for a guy like Nash is hard to take seriously. Only once, has Nash recorded over 60 ps. in a season. For the sake of argument, Nash and Spezza could actually be a closer deal than many would think. Nash has played 41 games more than Spezza, but has 69 fewer careen points. Linemates aside, Spezza is a better point producer and Nash is a better goal scorer and power forward. I guess it all depends on what a team is looking for.

1)A player under contract can no longer take a pay cut mid contract.

2)I have found most fans that want spezza gone are very young or just don't know how things work.

Spezza is young he will grow into his role it willt ake time.Sure ottawa could trade spezza but it would be one of those deals that really could come back to haunt ottawa big time.

Offline moxie

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • A Proud Member of The P.P.A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: July 30, 2008, 01:39:53 PM »
Hey guys, Mark Parrish is on waivers.  The cap hit on him would be $2.65 million.  Might be a decent pickup and a change of scenery might do him some good.

Anyone?

I think Parrish will probably end up playing for the Islanders this year.
He could drink like hell, he could fight like hell.

Offline Metalhawk

• Head-Bangin'-
  • Administrator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • Some Heads Are Gonna Roll!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: July 30, 2008, 01:58:59 PM »
Why not have both?

Because the Sens already have a log-jam of players up front.
"A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove that you donít need it"

Offline 1st rounder

• Future Hall of Famer
  • Imagine
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: July 30, 2008, 06:34:34 PM »

I have found most fans that want spezza gone are very young or just don't know how things work.

What kind of a comment is that, I've been watching hockey for over 40 years and I am not a spezza fan. I would trade him straight for a number of players, but the funny thing is, none of the teams that have these players would trade them straight up for Spezza.

Here's a few Nash, Crosby, Malkin, Getzlaf, Zetterberg......................
He Who Dares Wins!!!!!

Offline go_sens_go55555

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • Snooooop
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: July 30, 2008, 06:50:10 PM »
Crosby
Malkin
Datsyuk
Zetterberg
Lecavalier
Thornton

He's good, but not close to top 5 yet.

Yeah,i agree, he's not top 5 overall but if puck fancy means best 5 OFFENSIVELY then i will sure agree with that.

(to moxie) and i would NOT put richards ahead of spezza unless i had 28 beers in me and got knocked up side the head.
GO SENS GO!!!!!

Offline winterfan

• NHL Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: July 30, 2008, 07:23:01 PM »
1St Rounder
Yes i am sure there are some fans like you.But there is alot of fans that are not some even thought smith was a rookie.As with spezza he does have flaws but he can put up the points.

Offline FV

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: July 30, 2008, 07:33:19 PM »
I like Spezza but when you're just comparing his numbers with Nash and Richards, remember who his linemates are.
Proud member of the P.P.A. since 2008.

Offline SCRAMBLLLLLLE...

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #510 on: July 30, 2008, 08:09:52 PM »
I'd also put Mike Richards in that list ahead of Spez.

I thought about that but your 1st line should be the one that gets the most chances/ice time to do offensive damage and Spezza will outscore Richards almost always. Not that I mind having Richards as a #1; I love that guy.

Yeah,i agree, he's not top 5 overall but if puck fancy means best 5 OFFENSIVELY then i will sure agree with that.

What?

Offline go_sens_go55555

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • Snooooop
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: July 30, 2008, 08:59:36 PM »
I thought about that but your 1st line should be the one that gets the most chances/ice time to do offensive damage and Spezza will outscore Richards almost always. Not that I mind having Richards as a #1; I love that guy.

What?

Spezza is not in the top 5 centers when it comes to being a complete player. When it comes to strictly offensive output, spezza is,or should be in consideration for top 5 in that category.
GO SENS GO!!!!!

Offline thirstymoose_2000

• Global Moderator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • There's Always 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: July 30, 2008, 09:27:22 PM »
1St Rounder
Yes i am sure there are some fans like you.But there is alot of fans that are not some even thought smith was a rookie.As with spezza he does have flaws but he can put up the points.
What I find is that some people don't realize that it is about more then points.

I also find it is younger people who defend Spezza and the older of us that understand the finer points of the game and what the word "accountability" means that tend to be frustrated with Spezza's game.
2011-2012 Season of the Young Guns!

Offline go_sens_go55555

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • Snooooop
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: July 30, 2008, 09:57:40 PM »
What I find is that some people don't realize that it is about more then points.

I also find it is younger people who defend Spezza and the older of us that understand the finer points of the game and what the word "accountability" means that tend to be frustrated with Spezza's game.

Yes, i agree. But i also think the older sens fans also think he is worth a lot less then he really is.23-24 teams would love him as their number one center.
GO SENS GO!!!!!

Offline rose

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: July 30, 2008, 11:54:21 PM »
I am one of the older members on this board (at least, admittedly) and I am not ready for the Sens to give up on Spezza yet.  While I can understand why some - older or younger - fans do, I think, for now, it would be a move that would be regretted. 

That's not to say that I have indefinite patience with him....I just would be disappointed if he were to be traded yet.

Although I have to admit, at the end of last season, I figured the only untouchables on the entire team were Alfie and possibly Phillips and Volchenkov.  That still could be true, IMHO, depending on who might be coming our way.  And Bryan Murray is not the sentimental type so, frankly, little would surprise me in terms of trades.
"If you can't make up your mind, 'What the hell' is usually the right answer."  Ellen Reid Smith

Offline RideauDreaming

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: July 31, 2008, 12:19:14 AM »
I'm not sold on spezza but of course the other question is, who was the last top flight centre that the sens had? Spezza's a mile better than the old days of todd white, smoke etc. Was it yashin?
Go Canucks, Go Sens.

Offline Sugar J.Hyde

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • Go blow yourself up
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: July 31, 2008, 03:46:31 PM »
Hopefully Bryan Murray doesn't forget to pick up milk again

Offline vegas_shark

• Draft Pick
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: July 31, 2008, 05:11:22 PM »
Greetings from Las Vegas. Yeah, like the handle says, I'm a Sharks fan. Before the villagers break out the flaming torches to run me out of town let me say that above all, I'm a fan of the great game of hockey. I may drop by from time to time to offer my opinions and I will always be respectful of the fact that this is the SensNetwork.

Interesting discussion about Spezza. The way some of you who see him play regularly describe him, reminds me of a player I'm very familiar with. Being a centerman, drafted #2 over all and the fact that some fans question his overall commitment and wouldn't mind seeing him traded, reminds me of Patrick Marleau. Marleau is constantly the subject of trade rumors in the media and on message boards mainly because many people feel that, with all the talent he has, he should be a more dominant player.

While I would definitely rate Spezza above Marleau offensively, I don't know enough about other aspects of his game or his leadership abilities to rate him overall except to think that he is probably one of the top 8-10 centers in the league. Personally, I think that some of the things that have been sorted out internally this offseason will only help guys like Spezza become more focused. I see him as an important part of the Sens success and I think he would be missed if he were traded.

BTW, I'm planning to visit Ottawa to attend the Sharks-Sens game on February 26th. I've started a thread in the Introductions section here and I'd appreciate any advice that you folks might have to share.
http://sensnetwork.com/sensforum/index.php?topic=22894.0

Thanks,
Vegas

Offline p-dogger

• Future Hall of Famer
  • Defend the 'O'
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: July 31, 2008, 05:43:33 PM »
So, any thoughts on Bryan Murray's shopping list then?  ;)

Offline vegas_shark

• Draft Pick
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: July 31, 2008, 06:19:08 PM »
So, any thoughts on Bryan Murray's shopping list then?  ;)
Yeah, I pretty sure Doug Wilson will give him Kyle McLaren for a bag of practice pucks.