Author Topic: This is whats wrong with ottawa  (Read 11848 times)

Offline winterfan

• NHL Veteran
    • View Profile
This is whats wrong with ottawa
« on: July 14, 2008, 11:01:59 AM »
There have been many complaints about the bluefest.Yes it might have been loud but come on its bring millions of doallrs to the city.Now the topper is the caller that called in to the low green show today.He said it was so loud he could not hear his tv and he went on to say he can't sell his house because of it.He aslo said it should be at the race track or in kanata by the sbp.People wounder why we have trouble getting respect as a fun city.

Offline FV

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
Re: This is whats wrong with ottawa
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 11:10:42 AM »
He said it was so loud he could not hear his tv and he went on to say he can't sell his house because of it.

If it's true you don't think he has a legitimate concern? 
Proud member of the P.P.A. since 2008.

Offline Broken Bones

• Public Relations Guy...
  • Global Moderator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • I'm the pain in your ass...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 11:14:25 AM »
There have been many complaints about the bluefest.Yes it might have been loud but come on its bring millions of doallrs to the city.Now the topper is the caller that called in to the low green show today.He said it was so loud he could not hear his tv and he went on to say he can't sell his house because of it.He aslo said it should be at the race track or in kanata by the sbp.People wounder why we have trouble getting respect as a fun city.

Not sure if it is the same caller or not, but one guy said "it should be moved out to one of those fields", Lowel simply asked "where do you suggest, what field?", the guy replied with "don't act like a 3 year old Lowel!". All Lowel simply wanted to know is where he proposed, and the only answer is "any field out there, just take it out of the city".

I guess he fails to realize is that people and farmers own that property, and that the noise would harm more farm animals than it would people in the city.

Offline winterfan

• NHL Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 11:18:59 AM »
I am just having a hard time with what he says.I have talked to a good number of people and while they said its a bit loud its not over the top.Now for some reason if this guy does think its to loud then maybe something should be done.But i just think it some people that don't want anything to go on downtown.

Offline Bonzai

• Administrator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 11:24:57 AM »
It's the same song every event that happens in Ottawa.  I live along a very busy road and it's busy from around 6:00am to after midnight every day of the week but you know what it's something I expect because I chose to live there so these are expectations.  If I didn't want to except it I could sell and move but even though sometimes annoying I don't sit there ringing my hands and waiting for something I know is going to happen.  Living in a semi-large cities urban core always has it's drawbacks.  Perhaps this individual chose the wrong location to live and maybe he should reconsider.   Can't sell his home because of a couple week festival...yikes, that's a stretch

Offline FV

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008, 11:30:07 AM »
Some places you have to expect noise.  For example if you lived beside the CNE you have to expect noise and you shouldn't bitch everytime the Molson Indy comes to town.  Besides the CNE grounds have been around a long time so chances are you moved in knowing what to expect.

I could see though it being a problem if all of a sudden, in the park across the street from your house, someone decided to start up a prolonged music festival.  Personally, I'd love it but others might not.  And if it made it difficult to sell your house that would be a major issue.  

It's a tough one.
Proud member of the P.P.A. since 2008.

Offline OS

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • MacLean is Really Good!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008, 12:47:26 PM »

And some people still cling to the notion that the Palladium could have been built downtown in NIMBY central.

Offline Docawesome

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • Sensnet mob
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ESPN.com
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2008, 01:53:44 PM »
Whats wrong with Ottawa? The landscape is flat. Literally, there's no horizon. No hills or valleys. Also, traffic is getting worse every year. This city can't financially and mentally afford a 'big dig'. Another issue, not enough snow, well except for last winter. I love snow.

"The upper class: keeps all of the money, pays none of the taxes.  The middle class: pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.  The poor are there...just to scare the shit out of the middle class."

Offline Bonzai

• Administrator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2008, 02:22:58 PM »
This city can't financially and mentally afford a 'big dig'.

Doc, in comparison to the 'big dig' in Boston our little hole through downtown is like childs play.  But when have children making the decision it becomes much more complicated.

:smily1263:

Offline Broken Bones

• Global Moderator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2008, 03:04:11 PM »
Doc, in comparison to the 'big dig' in Boston our little hole through downtown is like childs play.  But when have children making the decision it becomes much more complicated.

:smily1263:

You mean its not normal to hire a committee to study an issue with recommendations, and then simply ignore those recommendations in order to put forth your own ideas/"solutions"?

Offline Bonzai

• Administrator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2008, 03:12:40 PM »
You mean its not normal to hire a committee to study an issue with recommendations, and then simply ignore those recommendations in order to put forth your own ideas/"solutions"?

What is that not normal.  What's more important, stifling gridlock or a nice shiny new library...let me thinka bout that one for a second...I say - shiny new library...can I run for city council

Offline Metalhawk

• Head-Bangin'-
  • Administrator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • Some Heads Are Gonna Roll!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2008, 03:13:38 PM »
What is that not normal.  What's more important, stifling gridlock or a nice shiny new library...let me thinka bout that one for a second...I say - shiny new library...can I run for city council

You seem to your priorities straight for that.
"A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove that you donít need it"

Offline Bonzai

• Administrator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2008, 03:35:08 PM »
You seem to your priorities straight for that.

I knew I was unqualifed..... :oh oh:

Offline Broken Bones

• Global Moderator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2008, 03:37:29 PM »
I knew I was unqualifed..... :oh oh:

The politically correct like to use the term "over qualified".

Offline OS

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • MacLean is Really Good!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2008, 03:49:07 PM »
What is that not normal.  What's more important, stifling gridlock or a nice shiny new library...let me thinka bout that one for a second...I say - shiny new library...

Only if it's in your ward, otherwise it's an example of flagrant waste!   

Offline stone169

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2008, 01:35:03 AM »
What's wrong with Ottawa is like anything else in this country...Political Correctness, lack of common sense, and the balls to do anything about it.
There are good coaches and there are bad coaches, the real question is "Do you want this person to be a role model to your kids for the next 6 months".  That's the question you have to ask yourself.

Go Sarnia Jr. Sting Minor Midget MD!!!!!

Offline rose

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2008, 01:51:33 AM »
What is wrong with this city is that there are too many people who run to the newspapers and then the newspapers make the whining and complaining into "a story"!  Seriously.  Do cities of any and all sizes not get complaints on a regular basis about noise, etc?  Why do the Sun and the Citizen run with this muck?  How many people live downtown and how many complained?  I know lots of people who live downtown and they LIVE for Bluesfest...they buy tickets the nights they really want to go and the others, they sit on their apartment balconies and listen from a distance.  Gee....think if THEY called the newspapers and said that, THAT would get in as "a story".  Nope.

A couple of years ago, the papers ran with the "fights" between the sitters and the standees.  Guess there was not much whining about that this year, so they called the local councillor who put them in touch with the "noise" complainers.

Can't sell one's house because of Bluesfest?  I doubt it.  More likely, the house is a dump!!

"If you can't make up your mind, 'What the hell' is usually the right answer."  Ellen Reid Smith

Offline winterfan

• NHL Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2008, 07:06:46 AM »
What is wrong with this city is that there are too many people who run to the newspapers and then the newspapers make the whining and complaining into "a story"!  Seriously.  Do cities of any and all sizes not get complaints on a regular basis about noise, etc?  Why do the Sun and the Citizen run with this muck?  How many people live downtown and how many complained?  I know lots of people who live downtown and they LIVE for Bluesfest...they buy tickets the nights they really want to go and the others, they sit on their apartment balconies and listen from a distance.  Gee....think if THEY called the newspapers and said that, THAT would get in as "a story".  Nope.

A couple of years ago, the papers ran with the "fights" between the sitters and the standees.  Guess there was not much whining about that this year, so they called the local councillor who put them in touch with the "noise" complainers.

Can't sell one's house because of Bluesfest?  I doubt it.  More likely, the house is a dump!!

Its was amazing the rant this guy went on.Saying by law it does not matter what time of day is is if it bothers something you have to stop.I can't wait to the world jrs are here i can hear the crying already.

Offline Broken Bones

• Global Moderator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2008, 07:31:52 AM »

It amazes me how "much" people like to bitch downtown regarding noise and its disturbance during festivals and exhibitions, and they keep saying send it somewhere else. You would think people who live in small quiet communities that have several young kids growing up thatrequire early bed times and nap times would bitch more, but it does not seem to be the case.

Every year we have the Navan Fair, we have rides, agricultural exhibitions, car derby's, and nightly concerts for an entire week. Along with that we have more than simply the community in Navan attending, we get people from Orleans and such, we don't bitch until some drunk ass teenagers decide they want to be cool and vandalize our properties, but all in all, our community embraces the fair.

The fair is held in the one and only park here in Navan, no matter where you live in Navan you can hear the noise, but as you say, we take it as an advantage being able to lounge around in our backyards, pools, etc. and have a clear sound of the music at night, that plays very well late into the night.  Nobody bitches, nobody grumbles, and surely nobody has any problems selling their homes because of it.

You would think those who choose to live in the hustle and bustle of downtown would be willing to learn a few things or two from those who live outside of the city in search for peace and quiet.

Offline stone169

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2008, 09:02:47 AM »
I love the Navan fair.
There are good coaches and there are bad coaches, the real question is "Do you want this person to be a role model to your kids for the next 6 months".  That's the question you have to ask yourself.

Go Sarnia Jr. Sting Minor Midget MD!!!!!