Author Topic: This is whats wrong with ottawa  (Read 12411 times)

Offline OS

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • MacLean is Really Good!
    • View Profile
Re: This is whats wrong with ottawa
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2008, 09:17:01 AM »
I know lots of people who live downtown and they LIVE for Bluesfest...they buy tickets the nights they really want to go and the others, they sit on their apartment balconies and listen from a distance.  Gee....think if THEY called the newspapers and said that, THAT would get in as "a story".  Nope.

LOL.  So move it out of downtown and the papers can run week long features on how the character is being sucked out of the downtown with event being moved to the soulless suburbs, that attendance is down because it is in the boonies, and easy access to the action is a reason people live downtown in the first place!

Offline rose

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2008, 11:00:24 AM »
LOL.  So move it out of downtown and the papers can run week long features on how the character is being sucked out of the downtown with event being moved to the soulless suburbs, that attendance is down because it is in the boonies, and easy access to the action is a reason people live downtown in the first place!

Exactly!!  I grew up on the Rideau Canal across from the CCEA.  It had been there long before we were there (although not my ancestors whose farmland was now our neighbourhood!).  Anyway, no one in our neighbourhood EVER complained about the Ex being there during the 7-10 days it ran in August when I was a kid.  Heck!  The only complaining you would here then was from the kids who saw it as "the end of summer" and a daily reminder that school would start soon after the Ex was over!  The adults took it as a daily (happy) reminder that the kids were going back to school soon!!   ;)

And if the wind was blowing just right, some nights you could SMELL the Ex in all its glory.....grease from the french fries, gas from the rides, etc. With all the 'allergies' to smell these days, I have been waiting for one of those uppity Glebites (or their councillor, Clive Doucet) to start ranting in the newspapers that they are allergic to the Exhibition!!   :icon_banghead:

Seriously, when the City via Diane Holmes get a smattering of complaints about the "noise" of Bluesfest and it's considered "news" in this City (without the corroborating numbers of people who DON'T call in complaints) I just shake my head and turn the page!  Gimme a break, people!! :shake:

It's called Life......deal with it!
"If you can't make up your mind, 'What the hell' is usually the right answer."  Ellen Reid Smith

Offline winterfan

• NHL Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2008, 11:07:10 AM »
Its the same type of people that donn't want a  new football stadium.

Offline Bonzai

• Administrator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2008, 01:23:53 PM »
Exactly!!  I grew up on the Rideau Canal across from the CCEA.  It had been there long before we were there (although not my ancestors whose farmland was now our neighbourhood!).  Anyway, no one in our neighbourhood EVER complained about the Ex being there during the 7-10 days it ran in August when I was a kid.  Heck!  The only complaining you would here then was from the kids who saw it as "the end of summer" and a daily reminder that school would start soon after the Ex was over!  The adults took it as a daily (happy) reminder that the kids were going back to school soon!!   ;)

And if the wind was blowing just right, some nights you could SMELL the Ex in all its glory.....grease from the french fries, gas from the rides, etc. With all the 'allergies' to smell these days, I have been waiting for one of those uppity Glebites (or their councillor, Clive Doucet) to start ranting in the newspapers that they are allergic to the Exhibition!!   :icon_banghead:

Seriously, when the City via Diane Holmes get a smattering of complaints about the "noise" of Bluesfest and it's considered "news" in this City (without the corroborating numbers of people who DON'T call in complaints) I just shake my head and turn the page!  Gimme a break, people!! :shake:

It's called Life......deal with it!

People probably have always complained but then we had politicians and city staff not afraid to either simply give the polite "yes, yes, yes, ok" and then file the complaint in file 13 after hanging up the phone.  Or we had staff who while reamining as politie as possible state that this is the realities of living in the city centre and the exhibition or blues fest last for such a short time.  You will have to suck it up because this actually does benefit our city economically.  But alas, they people do not exist today.  We have a bunch of spineless, vote hungry, politically correct useful idiots both on council and in our upper reaches of city management.  I'll tell you how stupid it has gotten.  Our neighbour has a very small back yard where 1/2 of it borders on an extremely narrow portion of his lot at the back of house.  Essentially due to the size and the lack of sun the hits there they really can't use it for much other than storage.  Well, their direct neighbour was mad at them and didn't like the fact that they put a small shed up against their back fence which was actually the side of her property.  She complained to city hall and they actually sent staff out to ensure that this wasn't a problem and followed the rules.  The shed was tiny and really most couldn't be seen on her part but she had a bug up her ass and she screamed and they wasted the time of two city of ottawa employees to come and measure the shed for some unknow reason.  Everything was fine and the shed still stands.  When I was told of this I just shook my head...well there you go

Offline OS

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • MacLean is Really Good!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2008, 01:37:52 PM »
Clive Doucet - hmm, the same Clive Doucet that wants to level Landsdowne and turn it into a park with minimal new housing.  Gee, I wonder who would get 90% of the use from that park, particularly when he eliminates all parking? 

Funny that with amalgamation counsellors look at the big picture less than ever and taking a narrower wardcentric view.  Thought it was supposed to work the other way.

P.S.  When is council going to change the name of "The Glebe Community Centre" to some former politicians name without even bothering to follow the rules, the way they did it to us in Orleans with the Orleans Rec. Centre? 

« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 08:51:03 PM by OS »

Offline MEAT

• Hall of Fame Inductee
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2008, 06:52:19 PM »
What's wrong with this city is that it's run by a group of councillors that have no one's interests at heart but their own and will do whatever it takes for their ward to get re-elected; this, by comparison, makes the current Federal parliament look like a model of non-partisan democracy.
I love the Navan fair.
This!

Offline extraSENSory

• Bingo Sen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2008, 11:34:56 PM »
What is wrong with this city is that there are too many people who run to the newspapers and then the newspapers make the whining and complaining into "a story"!  Seriously.  Do cities of any and all sizes not get complaints on a regular basis about noise, etc?  Why do the Sun and the Citizen run with this muck?  How many people live downtown and how many complained?  I know lots of people who live downtown and they LIVE for Bluesfest...they buy tickets the nights they really want to go and the others, they sit on their apartment balconies and listen from a distance.  Gee....think if THEY called the newspapers and said that, THAT would get in as "a story".  Nope.

A couple of years ago, the papers ran with the "fights" between the sitters and the standees.  Guess there was not much whining about that this year, so they called the local councillor who put them in touch with the "noise" complainers.

Can't sell one's house because of Bluesfest?  I doubt it.  More likely, the house is a dump!!

that's it, you've won my vote for mayor!!!

Offline Broken Bones

• Public Relations Guy...
  • Global Moderator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • I'm the pain in your ass...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2008, 08:33:10 AM »
Rose for mayor!

Offline Sugar J.Hyde

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • Go blow yourself up
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2008, 11:01:04 AM »
We just bought 70 acres of land out in the Stittsville area.  About 30-ish acres were designated wet lands.  At the exact same time we had just purchased this land, with the intention of building a sub-division on it, the new additions to highway 7 were being put up.  The land that the city had just put the new additions to highway 7 were right next to our land.

Now we had to go through rigorous procedures and follow the city's policy in order to try and re-zone our land.  During our research, we discovered that the city had actually, without following of their own guidelines OR procedures, had temporarily lifted the wetland status in order to put in a exit ramp for highway 7.  When they were finished of course, they had put wetland status back onto the land surrounding it.  It took us about a year to finally get everything rezoned and get the land ready to be built on.

Also, usually it takes about 6 months for a builder to get site plan approval.  It took us THREE YEARS.  I've also heard of someone waiting 5 years.

But at least were not allowed to have tailgaiting parties.  Rediculous.

Offline rose

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2008, 09:29:04 AM »
that's it, you've won my vote for mayor!!!

Rose for mayor!

I hadn't noticed these "endorsements" before today!   :oops  Gee, thanks!

To be honest with you, I highly doubt that being mayor is an easy task but I have got to admit there are some days that I have wondered about those who have held the position and just what the h*ll they've been thinking?!?  It would be nice to have someone with some vision who would not be easily swayed from that vision but instead used their energy to achieve and not just appease.  Consensus building is a difficult task, to be sure, but getting people onside with insight and integrity and sticking to what you believe in (which should have been what you laid out during your campaign) seems to be a thing of the past, IMHO.  If you do your research, hire people you trust and believe in to do the "heavy lifting" behind the scenes (your City manager and Staff) and stick to your plan while convincing people that it will benefit the City as a whole then you could effectively run the City.  I don't look for "perfection" in decision-making because to err is human and politicians ARE human, after all.  But I have a lot more respect for those who try to achieve and fail in their plans than those who just say whatever they think people want to  hear and damn the consequences!

(End of speech  ;) ).
"If you can't make up your mind, 'What the hell' is usually the right answer."  Ellen Reid Smith

Offline winterfan

• NHL Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2008, 08:19:26 AM »
We just bought 70 acres of land out in the Stittsville area.  About 30-ish acres were designated wet lands.  At the exact same time we had just purchased this land, with the intention of building a sub-division on it, the new additions to highway 7 were being put up.  The land that the city had just put the new additions to highway 7 were right next to our land.

Now we had to go through rigorous procedures and follow the city's policy in order to try and re-zone our land.  During our research, we discovered that the city had actually, without following of their own guidelines OR procedures, had temporarily lifted the wetland status in order to put in a exit ramp for highway 7.  When they were finished of course, they had put wetland status back onto the land surrounding it.  It took us about a year to finally get everything rezoned and get the land ready to be built on.

Also, usually it takes about 6 months for a builder to get site plan approval.  It took us THREE YEARS.  I've also heard of someone waiting 5 years.

But at least were not allowed to have tailgaiting parties.  Rediculous.

1)Wetlands is a very tricky area to build on or even around.
2)Tailgating is not a city bylaw bit a ontario bylaw.I would suggest you email or call your mp.

Offline FV

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2008, 09:27:38 AM »
2)Tailgating is not a city bylaw bit a ontario bylaw.I would suggest you email or call your mp.

I think you are probably better off calling your MPP.
Proud member of the P.P.A. since 2008.