Author Topic: Sens Network - Need Your Advice  (Read 7006 times)

Offline vegas_shark

• Draft Pick
    • View Profile
Sens Network - Need Your Advice
« on: July 31, 2008, 04:03:28 PM »
Greetings from Las Vegas. This is my first post here and I thought I'd kill two birds with one stone.

First, I'll introduce myself. As you can probably tell from my handle I'm a Sharks fan. But above all, I am a fan of the great game of hockey. I was born and raised in Chicago and followed the Hawks when I was a kid, back in the Original 6 days. After moving to Northern California to pursue a career in music I became a Sharks fan when they came into the league in 1991. As a subscriber to the Centre Ice package (gotta see my Sharks play) I regularly watch as many games from around the league as possible. I enjoy watching Senators games whenever possible because I see the Sens as the Eastern Conference version of my Sharks. Loads of talent, rabid fans and always a contender that always seems to come up a little short of skating the Big Shiny Thing.

Which brings me to my second point.

I'm in the early stages of planning a trip back east to see the Sharks play in Detroit, Ottawa and Montreal in late February 2009. It may just be a solo venture or I might be bringing a few other Sharks fans with me. Having never been to Ottawa before, I'd be interested in any information you would like to share. I'd be particularly interested in things to see and do kind of advice. Most of all, I'd like to explore anything related to hockey history and of course, information on how to score good seats to the game on February 26th.

I have lived and worked in the entertainment industry in Las Vegas for 10 years so if anyone here needs inside advice on Las Vegas, I'd be happy to help. I'd like to also extend an invitation for you to visit my regular board http://www.letsgosharks.com/forums/ It's the best "unofficial" Sharks board around. Don't be put off by how sparse the membership looks. The board has been up for over four years now but we just recently upgraded to the IP 2.2 forum software and lost our entire database in the process.

Thanks,
Vegas

Offline PuckFancy

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • Go Sens Go!
    • View Profile
Re: Sens Network - Need Your Advice
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 05:28:51 PM »
Welcome to the Sens board! I'm sure you'll get lots of help soon. I'm a bit busy at the moment but I'll try to give you a few pointers myself as soon as I can.

Cheers.

Offline Small Town

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 06:25:05 PM »
Advice will depend on what you (and yours) like to do. 

February calls for at least a skate on the canal (if the weather is good - we have had rain in February in the past).  While on the canal you can take in the local culinary delight called a beaver tail.  As for the bar scene, someone else will have to advise you since I don't know squat about that. 

If you like Major Junior hockey (NHL stars of the future) we have the Ottawa 67s with Sharks prospects Jamie McGinn, Logan Couture and Julien Demers and Tyler Cuma who was Minnesota's round 1 pick this year as well as the Gatineau Olympiques with Paul Byron (Buffalo prospect).  I don't know the regular home dates for the 'Piques but if the 67s are in town, they usually play Friday evenings and/or Sunday afternoons.  Gatineau went to the memorial Cup this year and their coach is coaching the Canadian world junior's team this year.

That's about all I can think of right now.  It's hard to think about February in July. 

Welcome to the board. 
It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

Offline butterfly_style

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • The Puck Stops Here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 09:03:26 AM »
This was pretty much everyone's house last February

Offline classmate

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 09:13:22 AM »
Winterlude is always fun. 

Offline vegas_shark

• Draft Pick
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008, 02:26:22 PM »
Thanks for the tips guys, they are greatly appreciated.

That is some serious snowfall in that photo. Let's hope there's not a repeat this winter. A skate on the Canal would be awesome (anyone know the spot where the old Sens kicked the Cup into the Canal?). As for the 67's, I really wanted to do that because of all the Sharks connections to the team, but they will be on the road while I'm in Ottawa, but I'll definitely try to get to one OHL or QMJHL game somewhere on the trip. Looks like I'll arrive too late for Winterlude also.

Planning to do the tourist thing to The Hill, after all I am a tourist, but I'd be interested in other sights that are a must see or any great restaurants popular with locals.

Offline SzuperChicky

• Global Moderator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • Offcial Coach Clouston Groupie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2008, 11:01:53 PM »
67's play Friday nights and Sunday afternoons ... some Saturday afternoons as well.  There is a good chance there will be a 67's game on when you are in town.  The OHL schedule is already up so just go to www.ottawa67s.com ... hopefullly they aren't on their 5 day roadtrip to the Southern cities the same week.

If you are coming in February, you probably don't need to worry about getting tickets in advance as the arena is almost 10,000 seats ... they don't sellout as often as they used to.  But its always nice to get them in advance.  I suggest taking the bus to the game if you are coming during Winterlude... otherwise, it could be really hard to find a spot unless you get there very early.

Ticket prices: all the same for all seats (but different price for adult/senior/student/child)... I suggest mid-high rows in the lower bowls of sections 19-21 (centre ice).

If all else fails, you can go across the river and see the Hull Olympiques play ... its like a 5-10 min drive from downtown Ottawa.
Game Day & Prediction Threads HERE

Douchebag List:
Dany Heatley, Corey Perry, Bill McCreary, Dave Branch, Ryan Kesler

Offline sens hockey

• Draft Pick
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2008, 05:32:43 PM »
Vegas I was just wondering how did your trip to Ottawa go?  Please fill us in.

Sen Hockey

Offline butterfly_style

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • The Puck Stops Here
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2008, 09:39:50 AM »
Quote from: vegas_shark
I'm in the early stages of planning a trip back east to see the Sharks play in Detroit, Ottawa and Montreal in late February 2009.
Quote from: sens hockey

Ummm, you know that February 2009 is in the future  . . .right ?

Offline SCRAMBLLLLLLE...

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2008, 03:08:44 PM »
No.

Offline vegas_shark

• Draft Pick
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2008, 08:43:15 PM »

Ummm, you know that February 2009 is in the future  . . .right ?

Whew!! Thanks butter, after reading the post by sens hockey, I thought I'd overslept and missed my own vacation.