Poll

My wife and I are having a...

Boy
7 (58.3%)
Girl
5 (41.7%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Voting closed: October 09, 2008, 08:36:00 PM

Author Topic: Take your best guess!  (Read 16014 times)

Offline Broken Bones

• Public Relations Guy...
  • Global Moderator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • I'm the pain in your ass...
    • View Profile
Re: Take your best guess!
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2008, 08:41:05 PM »
Close poll results... so here's the answer.
It's
A

GIRL

Offline Metalhawk

• Head-Bangin'-
  • Administrator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • Some Heads Are Gonna Roll!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2008, 10:22:24 PM »
Oh boy. You'll have fun in about 13 years.  :icon_hiding2:
"A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove that you donít need it"

Offline moxie

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • A Proud Member of The P.P.A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2008, 10:29:15 PM »
Shit Bones, better go back in time and a have a son about 2 years ago.

I think you'll have to give your moniker over to the boys who will come knocking on the door.
He could drink like hell, he could fight like hell.

Offline FV

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2008, 10:37:16 PM »
Oh boy. You'll have fun in about 13 years.  :icon_hiding2:

I actually have a 13 year old daughter!  MH you have no idea!! 
Proud member of the P.P.A. since 2008.

Offline Metalhawk

• Head-Bangin'-
  • Administrator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • Some Heads Are Gonna Roll!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2008, 01:01:15 AM »
I actually have a 13 year old daughter!  MH you have no idea!! 

I once had a 13 year old sister. So I have an inkling of an idea.  :laugh2:
"A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove that you donít need it"

Offline OS

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • MacLean is Really Good!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2008, 08:04:36 AM »
My daughter is 15.  After the age of 12, you are seen as 10% stupider for every year older they are.   I know I encouraged here independence, I don't have to enjoy it.  8)

Offline Broken Bones

• Global Moderator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2008, 09:00:59 AM »
Well OS, I am hoping that when our daughter is 13 years old there will be some sort of support group for fathers...

Oh this should be fun!

Offline CrustyOldGuy

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2008, 10:37:38 AM »
Three daughters...two years apart, give or take a couple of months... :shock:

Any ideas how I got called COG?
Now that I am older, I thought it was great that I seemed to have more patience.  Turns out I just don't give a damn.

I don't have an attitude...I have a personality you can't handle!

Offline moxie

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • A Proud Member of The P.P.A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2008, 12:02:17 PM »
I know I am going to get "cursed" with a daughter for sure when I start a family. There hasn't been a girl born into our family aside from a second cousin in about 20 years.  :laugh2: My mom had 3 boys, my older brother has 3 boys... When I decide to have children I am going to get quintuplet girls, I just know it.  :icon_hiding2:
He could drink like hell, he could fight like hell.

Offline rose

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2008, 11:08:21 AM »
Congratulations, BB!!!  I have two girls and my youngest is a boy........and there are different challenges with either gender at the ages of 12-15.  My husband just left me to contend with the two girls....it was tough but we got through it intact and, frankly, I don't have too many 'war wounds' (they are now 24 and 19).  However, when our son hit 13, it was testosterone city in this house!  It was not a 'problem' for me because all the "crankiness" was pointed at my husband.  I, on the other hand, could do no wrong in my son's eyes.  Don't worry....you'll get through it just fine.  We all do (to some degree!). :nod:

"If you can't make up your mind, 'What the hell' is usually the right answer."  Ellen Reid Smith

Offline classmate

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2008, 05:22:12 PM »
I have one daughter and 2 boys.  All in their twenties now.   I always say if I had to have one sex I would most def want boys. 

Good luck BB. 

And I guessed correctly.  Yessss  Now if I could just guess the Sens scores correctly.

Offline Broken Bones

• Global Moderator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2008, 08:42:16 AM »
Thanks girls!

Ever since my wife and I started discussing the idea of having kids, and after knowing kids of our friends we leaned toward the idea of "if we got to choose" having a boy.  I joke more so about the teenage years, I am really not worried about that, the preference more so comes simply because my wife is far from a "girly girl" and doesn't want to deal with a kid having a "I'm a little princess attitude" that the little girls we know seem to have.  So in efforts to curb this we will allow our future daughter to grow into the person she wants to be, but we are going to play with her and and such in no way different than you would a boy (eg, playing in the dirt, and eating worms if necessary).  We are informing our family that there will be simply no frilly dresses that will be accepted by us, the colour pink is ok, but we don't want crap that we might not want to allow "get dirty".

Going to be fun... Only 4 months to go.

Offline FV

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2008, 08:56:09 AM »
Girls and boys ARE different Bones and viva le difference!

You say you want her to grow into the person she wants to be but in the same sentence say that you will pretty much raise her like a boy.  Let her be what she is naturally.  Maybe she is a Princess type like my 13 year old but she's a girl and most of her friends are like that.  You don't necessarily raise them like that, they are like that frilly dresses and all.

In short, love your kid the way they are.  You're not having a boy, you are being blessed with a girl and that is a wonderful thing.  When we were expecting our second I kind of wanted another boy because I just figured boys are more fun to do things with but having a little girl has been amazing and we do lots of things together.   

Offline Broken Bones

• Global Moderator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2008, 09:14:33 AM »
Girls and boys ARE different Bones and viva le difference!

You say you want her to grow into the person she wants to be but in the same sentence say that you will pretty much raise her like a boy.  Let her be what she is naturally.  Maybe she is a Princess type like my 13 year old but she's a girl and most of her friends are like that.  You don't necessarily raise them like that, they are like that frilly dresses and all.

In short, love your kid the way they are.  You're not having a boy, you are being blessed with a girl and that is a wonderful thing.  When we were expecting our second I kind of wanted another boy because I just figured boys are more fun to do things with but having a little girl has been amazing and we do lots of things together.  

When I say we will play with her no different than we would a boy, I am saying at a young age, ie: ages 1-6 or so.  We know a few families that have young daughters, and from before they could even walk they were being dressed up like mini princesses and treated as such, when they went to play and "get dirty" they were encouraged not to as to not get their dresses dirty.  That is not what my wife and I want to do.  We will not be dressing up our daughter in frilly dresses as if she were a princess, and if she chooses to go play and get dirty or even eat a snail, so be it, I won't discourage her. I will encourage her to be who she wants to be by allowing her to do just what she wants when it comes to playing rather than discouraging her from certain things because it will get them dirty or because it's a "boy thing".

I am not saying we will raise her as if she were a boy, but rather we will do our best to raise her in a way giving her the opportunity to realize that even though she is "a girl", there is nothing she can't do, and if playing in the dirt and getting dirty is something she wants to do, so be it.  I am sure a huge majority of parents raise their daughters in this fashion, but it is where we live and the people we know who are that "higher class" who really restrict what their daughter(s) do(es) by enrolling them in activities that may be more popular for girls than they are for boys and not allowing them to experience the "boy activities".

And should it be that as she grows up she develops into a "girly girl", so be it, as that is who she is, but we will know that that is who she is because that is simply who she grew into be rather than being "molded".

So because of this we simply are asking our friends and family that if they buy clothes for our baby, that it not be frilly princess like, because frankly, we don't want to dress her up in clothes we wouldn't want to have ruined.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 09:20:14 AM by Broken Bones »

Offline FV

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2008, 09:24:31 AM »
we will do our best to raise her in a way giving her the opportunity to realize that even though she is "a girl", there is nothing she can't do...

Perfect.

Trust me on one thing Bones.  Don't think too much or read too many books.  Raising kids isn't difficult as long as you use common sense.

Offline momr

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2008, 09:26:37 AM »
My two oldest are boys and my third is a girl - and she might as well have been an alien, for as different as she is from her brothers. 

FYI - I measured how much fun my kids had - all 3 of them - by how dirty they were at the end of the day :)

Offline Broken Bones

• Global Moderator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2008, 09:50:54 AM »
Perfect.

Trust me on one thing Bones.  Don't think too much or read too many books.  Raising kids isn't difficult as long as you use common sense.

Glad to see you understand where I am coming from and not simply raising a "boy" even though we will have a daughter.

I am not a reader, so no worries there, well not books anyways. However my wife and I have been reading books but they are more targeted as to what to simply expect during the pregnancy and how to best prepare for when the child enters this world by way of tips for buying clothes, exploring options for diapers, etc as oppose to parenting guidelines.

I also figure, should we have any parenting issue that requires advice or tips, we have future grandparents to ask who obviously did a petty good job with my wife and I, so why spend time reading a book when the answer may be simply a phone call away.

Offline butterfly_style

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • The Puck Stops Here
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2008, 12:12:07 PM »
Quote from: BB
I am sure a huge majority of parents raise their daughters in this fashion, but it is where we live and the people we know who are that "higher class" who really restrict what their daughter(s) do(es) by enrolling them in activities that may be more popular for girls than they are for boys and not allowing them to experience the "boy activities".
That may be at the request of their daughter.

Offline Small Town

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2008, 12:15:39 PM »
There is a great Yiddish expresssion - you want to make God laugh?  Make plans!

I like your plans BB but stay loose - she could come out of the womb frilly and girly and no amount of encouragement will change it.  But in reality kids are largely shaped by their evironments - if they think you're having fun - they will likely have fun too.  Have fun in the dirt with the worms 'n all!!
It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

Offline Broken Bones

• Global Moderator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2008, 12:18:23 PM »
That may be at the request of their daughter.

I can tell you in the cases I am referring to, not the case.