Poll

My wife and I are having a...

Boy
7 (58.3%)
Girl
5 (41.7%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Voting closed: October 09, 2008, 08:36:00 PM

Author Topic: Take your best guess!  (Read 16313 times)

Offline Broken Bones

• Public Relations Guy...
  • Global Moderator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • I'm the pain in your ass...
    • View Profile
Re: Take your best guess!
« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2008, 12:21:42 PM »
There is a great Yiddish expresssion - you want to make God laugh?  Make plans!

I like your plans BB but stay loose - she could come out of the womb frilly and girly and no amount of encouragement will change it.  But in reality kids are largely shaped by their evironments - if they think you're having fun - they will likely have fun too.  Have fun in the dirt with the worms 'n all!!

Exactly, we have no plans for our daughter, hell she isn't even born yet, we only want to be sure our child(ren) get to experience everything so that they can choose what they like best. And we want to be 100% involved with whatever she would be doing be it something we did to perk her interest, or something she found on her own.  I would love it if my daughter gets to enjoy BMX racing as much as I do, and my wife would love it if she enjoyed horses and the barn as much as she does, but if she doesn't, so be it, at least she was exposed to that as well as anything else we would let her try.

Offline classmate

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2008, 04:59:19 PM »
BB, let me just add, I tried to take what I did not like about my parents when I was growing up and not doing that with my kids.  An example of that would be always being there for my kids wether it is lending an ear or watching them play sports.  I never missed anything they did and my husband and I always tried to let them know that there was no competition between each of them.  They are who they are, wether in school or sports and we love each one equally.  Actually when my kids ask which one of them I like best, I simply say "I don't like any of them."   ;)
Actions speak louder then words sometimes.  :thumbsup:,

And of course they know I would die for each and everyone of them. 

Offline Broken Bones

• Global Moderator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2008, 07:26:44 PM »
Thanks for the advice CM.  I know there are things my parents did with me growing up that I will do everything not to repeat with my child, and one of them is doing everything possible to ensure our family is whole and healthy and that my wife and I have a loving happy marriage.  I was extremely young when my parents divorced and I understand that it takes work to ensure both people are happy.

Offline s3nsfan75

• Future Hall of Famer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2008, 11:17:34 PM »
Congrats on the soon new arrival, my wife and I have a great 2 y/o boy.  If i could offer a bit of advice, even to have it fall on deaf ears, don't sweat everything, don't stress too much.  Relax enjoy it, sometimes if they're sick, let them be sick don't rush them to emergency.  If they don't want to eat, so be it, kids are smarter then we are if they're not hungry they know best. And take each day as it comes because from this point forward there will never be two the same.

Congrats and enjoy every moment!!!

Offline classmate

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2008, 05:32:02 PM »
Congrats on the soon new arrival, my wife and I have a great 2 y/o boy.  If i could offer a bit of advice, even to have it fall on deaf ears, don't sweat everything, don't stress too much.  Relax enjoy it, sometimes if they're sick, let them be sick don't rush them to emergency.  If they don't want to eat, so be it, kids are smarter then we are if they're not hungry they know best. And take each day as it comes because from this point forward there will never be two the same.

:icon_agree:    Very good advice.

Offline FV

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 16, 2008, 05:45:16 PM »

Good advice!  Kind of what I meant by "don't think too much".  Young parents can overreact.  It's just not that complicated.
Proud member of the P.P.A. since 2008.

Offline Broken Bones

• Global Moderator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 16, 2008, 07:49:48 PM »
We will be having pretty good resources near by, and do I mean near by as my in-laws are a block away from our house.  I am sure in any difficult situation we would be calling parents for advice/help first, and if it is medical related, call the ontario medical hotline for advice, and then if instructed to do so, proceed to emergency.

Offline Small Town

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 16, 2008, 10:05:20 PM »
Or you can ask here - clearly no end of advice here.   :thumbsup:
It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

Offline Metalhawk

• Head-Bangin'-
  • Administrator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • Some Heads Are Gonna Roll!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 17, 2008, 01:00:08 AM »
Or you can ask here - clearly no end of advice here.   :thumbsup:

But there's not too many of us around here at 3am to give advice.  ;)
"A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove that you donít need it"

Offline butterfly_style

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • The Puck Stops Here
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 17, 2008, 12:15:02 PM »
But there's not too many of us around here at 3am to give advice.  ;)
C'mon bones, nothing ever happens at 3:00 AM with kids

Offline rose

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 17, 2008, 12:37:28 PM »
Best piece of advice I ever got from my pediatrician was the first day of my eldest's life while in the hospital and she told me, "You can call me anytime but I would suggest that you call your Mother first.  It's not that I don't want to help, but you were a child once too and since you grew up to be a fully-formed, thinking adult, your parents had a larger hand in that outcome than any doctor along the way."....and she was right! 

My girls are girls and my boy is a boy....that's the way they were born and some things are simply nature and not nurture.  However, how you bring them up and how they turn out in the long run is a delicate mix of unconditional love, common sense, TLC and a sense of humour (THAT is key, IMHO).  Once they show the appropriate amount of reasoning and thoughtfulness, consultation comes into play as you gently, but firmly, start cutting those "apron strings".

My girls both took dance lessons early on (age 3) as I did and it helped to give them the rythym, timing and coordination to be elite athletes in their chosen sports (and they both played in various realms but eventually 'specialized') of basketball and rugby.  Our son 'tried on' the same variety of sports but settled on one specialty (soccer) of a competitive nature and, yet, is still playing road/floor hockey with the same dozen guys that he started with on our quiet crescent almost 15 years ago! 
My son is also the tidiest (room-wise) of my three and certainly the most helpful around the house.  Goes against the grain, I suppose, but that is just the way it has turned out. 

But, for me, one of the single most important things that I have learned along the way (and you will have time to work into) is "get involved".....in their lives, with their school(work), with their friends and make the time to let them know that you care about what they do/are doing.  Being involved - if only from the sidelines - keeps the lines of communication open and if your kids are comfortable talking to you, about everything, then your lives will be much less stressful.
"If you can't make up your mind, 'What the hell' is usually the right answer."  Ellen Reid Smith

Offline momr

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 17, 2008, 01:30:57 PM »
I actually have great empathy for new parents today.  It isn't easy. More now than ever, there will be experts around every corner, offering unsolicited advice - or looking down their nose at you for your personal parenting choices.  Everybody and his dog has written a book.  And young parents today are left feeling guilty if it all doesn't come natural to them - constantly second guessing their parenting decisions. I myself could have written one too - having successfully raised 3 grown kids - but the first 6 chapters would be devoted to all the mistakes I have made and continue to make :mrgreen:

You'll make them too.  Don't let the do-gooders get you down when you do.  Like Rose said - its not rocket science.  Trust your gut and have fun.   :woohoo

Offline butterfly_style

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • The Puck Stops Here
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 17, 2008, 02:28:45 PM »
My son is 7 years old . . .almost 8.
Times passes so fast.
I remember his birth-date like it was yesterday.

If you ever catch yourself saying "I can't wait until my daughter is old enough to  . . . . (*fill in this blank with whatever*), then stop right there.
Every stage of their life is the "best-stage"  . . .enjoy.
Having a child changes your life . . . BIG-TIME !!!!
But, I wouldn't want it any other way .

Offline FV

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 17, 2008, 02:35:15 PM »
If you ever catch yourself saying "I can't wait until my daughter is old enough to  . . . . (*fill in this blank with whatever*), then stop right there.
Every stage of their life is the "best-stage"  . . .enjoy.
Having a child changes your life . . . BIG-TIME !!!!
But, I wouldn't want it any other way .

Beautiful!  I couldn't have said it better!   :icon_thankyou:
Proud member of the P.P.A. since 2008.

Offline rose

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 17, 2008, 02:41:16 PM »
Children are like snowflakes.....no two alike. :nod:
"If you can't make up your mind, 'What the hell' is usually the right answer."  Ellen Reid Smith

Offline Broken Bones

• Global Moderator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 17, 2008, 04:44:45 PM »
I can tell you, I simply can't wait for our daughter to be born.  I am enjoying this pregnancy experience with my wife, but we are getting anxious to meet our baby girl soon.

Offline classmate

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 17, 2008, 10:39:12 PM »
I can tell you, I simply can't wait for our daughter to be born.  I am enjoying this pregnancy experience with my wife, but we are getting anxious to meet our baby girl soon.

The last month of my pregnancies always seemed to take as long as the first 8.  :nod: