Author Topic: CONGRATULATIONS BROKEN BONES aka NEW DADDY!!!!!  (Read 30256 times)

Offline momr

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
Re: CONGRATULATIONS BROKEN BONES aka NEW DADDY!!!!!
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2009, 01:23:22 PM »
Wow!!  Congrats - jeez,  I go away for a few days and so much changes!  Awesome news.     :drink:

Offline rose

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2009, 04:23:27 PM »
I hope she gets a good chance to rest and sleep since she is there anyway.  You both need it!

Yep...I stayed as long as I could when I gave birth.  Once home, you're on your own (although having grandparents nearby is helpful, for sure!) and sleep/naps can be hard to come by (unless the baby is asleep!).  You will be absolutely amazed how much time you will spend just looking at her!   :nod:

You will both likely do just fine with your "on the job training" once you get home.  Really.  I agree that the pre-natal training is overwhelming and the post-natal is underwhelming but you will also be aware of Mom's maternal instincts pretty quickly!  One step at a time and always remember....baby will cry, so don't panic when she does.  It's her way of communicating and you will soon be able to determine the "difference" in the cries (ie hungry, tired, bored).  It's quite fascinating.  :nod:

"If you can't make up your mind, 'What the hell' is usually the right answer."  Ellen Reid Smith

Offline BlindDruid

• Administrator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2009, 06:26:47 PM »
Also remember that common sense and gut feelings go a long way towards good parenting.  By the time my wife and I got to our third the advice given when we had our first seemed totally absurd and we were glad that we didnt follow some of that "advice" given at the time.  Some of the older nurses and those of the older generation that came to visit were quite pushy when it came to telling us what to do and what was best for the baby and although I am sure that they were well meaning times had changed. 
Time passes, things change, the Sens WILL WIN the CUP. 
edit -  Hopefully within my lifetime.......

Offline Broken Bones

• Public Relations Guy...
  • Global Moderator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • I'm the pain in your ass...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2009, 07:39:33 AM »
We were discharged yesterday afternoon.  My wife was hoping that we could come home on Tuesday so that she could sleep in her own bed, be able to keep herself occupied while Alexis slept, etc but Alexis became jaundiced to the point where her entire body was yellow and she was extremely lethargic and difficult to nurse. The nurses placed Alexis in a device which emits a blue ultraviolet light to lower the levels of the jaundice.  She was great for the first 10 or so hours, but the remaining 6 (which of course were throughout the night) were difficult as she became more awake and was none too fond of the goggle/eye patch device she had to wear and she was constantly pulling at it to the point she actually broke them.

Our only concern right now is that she has not had a bowel movement since yesterday morning, although we are hearing rumblings in her tummy and some pretty good farts that would give any man a run for their money.

None of the nurses we had at the General every came off pushy, telling us how to do things in a specific manner, but rather showing us different techniques in different situations and such.

Right now Alexis is behind me in her Fisher Price Rain Forest swing.  She was crying after I dressed her to go back to bed and I figured this would do the trick to calm her but she has yet to fall asleep.

My only main concern right now is using the week and a half I am off work to set our schedule so that my wife is not the only one getting up at night so that she can actually get some sleep and that I can confidently feel awake each morning and drive to work without the risk of nodding off behind the wheel.

Offline OS

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • MacLean is Really Good!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2009, 09:28:09 AM »
Bone, you're giving me flashbacks, especially the sleep deprivation.  My first was in isolation and had a spinal tap a few hours after birth, though it ended up being just a precaution, it didn't help the nerves of the new parents.  Before you know it she will be 16 and asking to go to the movies with some creature named Alex, it goes to fast, enjoy.

Offline PHJ314

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2009, 09:37:24 AM »
WICKED!!!!! CONGRATS BB!!!!!!
Friends don't let Friends cheer for the Maple Leafs!!

Offline Broken Bones

• Global Moderator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2009, 05:10:36 PM »
Bone, you're giving me flashbacks, especially the sleep deprivation.  My first was in isolation and had a spinal tap a few hours after birth, though it ended up being just a precaution, it didn't help the nerves of the new parents.  Before you know it she will be 16 and asking to go to the movies with some creature named Alex, it goes to fast, enjoy.

Keep your son's grubby paws off of my daughter!

Offline rose

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2009, 05:39:44 PM »
Aaaahhhhh!  Jaundice.  Rumbling tummies.  No sleep.  Those were the (easy) days!!! ;)

Yeah...it ticked me off when people said that to me 24 years ago and I thought they were out of their minds but.....they were right!! :nod:

Trust me...it's all fun (in hindisght). 
"If you can't make up your mind, 'What the hell' is usually the right answer."  Ellen Reid Smith

Offline CrustyOldGuy

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2009, 06:25:38 PM »
Keep your son's grubby paws off of my daughter!

Here you go Bones!!  Kept these for my three daughters.  Actually handed it to a couple of guys that looked shady.

Dating Rules

Rule One:
If you pull into my driveway and honk you'd better be delivering a package, because you're sure not picking anything up.

Rule Two:
You do not touch my daughter in front of me. You may glance at her, so long as you do not peer at anything below her neck. If you cannot keep your eyes or hands off of my daughter's body, I will remove them.

Rule Three:
I am aware that it is considered fashionable for boys of your age to wear their trousers so loosely that they appear to be falling off their hips.  Please don't take this as an insult, but you and all of your friends are complete idiots.  Still, I  want to be fair and open minded about this issue,  so I propose this compromise: You may come to the door with your underwear showing and your pants ten sizes too big, and I will not object. However, in order to ensure that your clothes do not, in fact come off during the course of your date with my daughter, I will take my electric nail gun and fasten your trousers securely in place to your waist.

Rule Four:
I'm sure you've been told that in today's world, sex without utilizing a "Barrier method" of some kind can kill you. Let me elaborate, when it comes to sex, I am the barrier, and I will kill you.

Rule Five:
It is usually understood that in order for us to get to know each other, we should talk about sports, politics, and other issues of the day. Please do not do this. The only information I require from you is an indication of when you expect to have my daughter safely back at my house, and the only word I need from you on this subject is: early."

Rule Six:
I have no doubt you are a popular fellow, with many opportunities to date other girls. This is fine with me as long as it is okay with my daughter.  Otherwise, once you have gone out with my little girl, you will continue to date no one but her until she is finished with you. If you make her cry, I will make you cry.

Rule Seven:
As you stand in my front hallway, waiting for my daughter to appear, and more than an hour goes by, do not sigh and fidget. If you want to be on time for the movie, you should not be dating. My daughter is putting on her makeup, a process than can take longer than painting the Golden Gate Bridge.  Instead of just standing there, why don't you do something useful, like changing the oil in my car?

Rule Eight:
The following places are not appropriate for a date with my daughter: Places where there are beds, sofas, or anything softer than a wooden stool. Places where there is darkness. Places where there is dancing, holding hands, or happiness. Places where the ambient temperature is warm enough to induce my daughter to wear shorts, tank tops, midriff T-shirts, or anything other than overalls, a sweater, and a goose down parka - zipped up to her throat.  Movies with a strong romantic or sexual theme are to be avoided; movies which feature chain saws are okay. Hockey games are okay. Old folks homes are better.

Rule Nine:
Do not lie to me. I may appear to be a potbellied, balding, middle-aged, dimwitted has-been. But on issues relating to my daughter, I am the all-knowing, merciless god of your universe. If I ask you where you are going and with whom, you have one chance to tell me the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. I have a shotgun, a shovel, and five acres behind the house. Do not trifle with me.

Rule Ten:
Be afraid. Be very afraid. It takes very little for me to mistake the sound of your car in the driveway for a chopper coming in over a rice paddy near Hanoi.  When my Agent Orange starts acting up, the voices in my head frequently tell me to clean the guns as I wait for you to bring my daughter home. As soon as you pull into the driveway you should exit the car with both hands in plain sight.  Speak the perimeter password, announce in a clear voice that you have brought my daughter home safely and early, then return to your car - there is no need for you to come inside. The camouflaged face at the window is mine.
Now that I am older, I thought it was great that I seemed to have more patience.  Turns out I just don't give a damn.

I don't have an attitude...I have a personality you can't handle!

Offline rose

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2009, 06:31:19 PM »
^^^^  :A_laughing_matter:  :A_laughing_matter:  :A_laughing_matter:

THAT'S a good one!!  I should hunt up the contract my husband had when our two daughters were younger.  But that one is just soooooo funny (or not...depending on your POV 8)).

Offline Broken Bones

• Global Moderator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2009, 11:35:13 PM »
Seen those before, and I think I will be getting those laminated and posted on the fridge when she is older.  Alexis even has the protection of her Grandfather, here is an email my dad sent me this afternoon.

Well my son you and Kate have done it.  Brought a beautiful little baby girl into this world.  You are going to face many challenges and changes as she continues to grow.  You will ask yourself at times if you are able to do this.  Don't worry we all ask ourselves that and we all got through it.  I have no worries as you and Kate are going to be wonderful parents and Alexis is lucky to have you.

Just remember two things when at 3:30 am you find yourself sitting up with her because she is fussy or sick and you are bleary eyed and tired, while watching some TV with her cradled in your arms.

1) just look down at her there in your arms trusting that you wil look after her and comfort her and know you are the luckiest man on earth.
2) when else is it that you would have had the opportunity to watch the 1969 movie. "Mutant Biker Zombies Invade Earth".

Oh, and when she hits her teens and all those pimply faced evil-intentioned teenage boys come crawling around if you need any help chasing them away just call me and Granpa will be over there asap with a shooting iron or some other form of deadly weaponry.

Love you, Dad

Offline OS

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2009, 11:37:40 PM »
Very nice e-mail BB.

COG - was that supposed to be humour?  Just seems reasonable to me (says the father of the 16 year old girl).

Offline CrustyOldGuy

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2009, 09:50:51 AM »
COG - was that supposed to be humour?  Just seems reasonable to me (says the father of the 16 year old girl).

No...I also thought they were reasonable knowing what I was thinking when I was 16... :smily1263:
Now that I am older, I thought it was great that I seemed to have more patience.  Turns out I just don't give a damn.

I don't have an attitude...I have a personality you can't handle!

Offline FV

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2009, 06:57:30 PM »
Alexis is a real cutie Bones!  A little Gerber baby!!   :nod:
Proud member of the P.P.A. since 2008.

Offline FV

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2009, 07:01:01 PM »
I just walked up stairs and thought about what I posted and realized it could be misunderstood on here!!!   :laugh2:  FOr those that don't know "Gerber" is a brand of baby food that always has a real cute baby on the jar.  Nothing to do with the goalie!   :nod:
Proud member of the P.P.A. since 2008.

Offline OS

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2009, 07:27:01 PM »
I just walked up stairs and thought about what I posted and realized it could be misunderstood on here!!!   :laugh2:  FOr those that don't know "Gerber" is a brand of baby food that always has a real cute baby on the jar.  Nothing to do with the goalie!   :nod:

Well, if you it is like the Gerber goalie, she will be easy to feed.  If she tries to stop the food, it will go in 70% of the time  :smily1263:

Offline Broken Bones

• Global Moderator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2009, 07:35:16 PM »
Thanks FV, and thankfully I know how you see the pictures...  Anyhow, without further ado, here are some pictures of sweet Alexis.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 09:50:13 AM by Broken Bones »

Offline Broken Bones

• Global Moderator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2009, 07:39:17 PM »
Well, if you it is like the Gerber goalie, she will be easy to feed.  If she tries to stop the food, it will go in 70% of the time  :smily1263:

Actually, about that, at first my wife was getting discouraged breast feeding, but after Alexis' first doctors appointment this afternoon all concerns about her getting enough milk are gone as in two days since leaving the hospital she gained 100 grams where approximately 30 grams is the average.

Offline OS

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2009, 12:08:30 PM »
Actually, about that, at first my wife was getting discouraged breast feeding, but after Alexis' first doctors appointment this afternoon all concerns about her getting enough milk are gone as in two days since leaving the hospital she gained 100 grams where approximately 30 grams is the average.

:thumbsup:

She's a real cutie!  Babies have that great smell too.

Offline rose

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2009, 01:48:57 PM »
What a sweet little angel-face! 

Care to guess how many pictures you have taken of her during this first week? ;)  I remember the "olden" days when you took your film in to be processed!!  Seemed like forever to get s hots back!