Author Topic: CONGRATULATIONS BROKEN BONES aka NEW DADDY!!!!!  (Read 30820 times)

Offline Broken Bones

• Public Relations Guy...
  • Global Moderator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • I'm the pain in your ass...
    • View Profile
Re: CONGRATULATIONS BROKEN BONES aka NEW DADDY!!!!!
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2009, 02:03:15 PM »
Actually the first day or two we personally did not take that many pictures of her, but lately, especially since coming home it's been a frenzy.

And as for the "olden" days, my mom still has a roll of film sitting around which is undeveloped that contain pictures of me as a baby.  She keeps the roll but doesn't want to develop it now as she feels too much time has passed for it to work properly, crazy woman.

Last night was a long night for us.  Alexis started crying at 11 and would not stop, my wife tried to feed her and I changed her hoping it would make her happy, but that failed.  No matter what we did she would not stop crying until sometime after 3am when she finally fell asleep in Kate's arms while I was taking my turn to sleep for a few hours.  We eventually switch "shifts" in which I held Alexis on my chest so that she would continue to sleep, around 5am I figured I would put her down in her play pen to sleep so that I could catch some shut eye on the couch without disturbing my wife.  The moment she went down on her back she began to cry.  Definitely the worse night we have had as everything we tried failed to work and we felt ultimately useless.  This morning however she is back to her "old self" again being generally happy and relaxed.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 02:08:50 PM by Broken Bones »

Offline OS

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • MacLean is Really Good!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2009, 12:15:32 AM »
LOL.  You guys will make it.  I walked many miles in the living room with my first one, who was a bit collickly.  I had my mantra "it's ok, it's ok" repeat 30,000 times....   kind of like being a Sens fan this season.   

Offline Broken Bones

• Global Moderator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2009, 12:19:11 PM »
LOL.  You guys will make it.  I walked many miles in the living room with my first one, who was a bit collickly.  I had my mantra "it's ok, it's ok" repeat 30,000 times....   kind of like being a Sens fan this season.  

We had a really good night last night, we have been told it is now ok to space out her feedings to about 5 hours provided she doesn't ask to be fed.  We slept most of the night and only needed to wake up three times for about 90 minutes each for a feed and some cuddle time to get her good and ready to be put back in her bed.

Offline classmate

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2009, 07:28:45 PM »
She is a real beauty bones.  Congratulations again. 

My three kids all had jaundice and had to be under the "lights".  My second was so bad, after a week of staying with him, I had to leave him in the hospital because the insurance wouldn't pay for me to stay any longer.  One of the hardest things I had to do.  I did however, sleep in the waiting room. 

Good luck and it does get better.

Offline butterfly_style

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • The Puck Stops Here
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2009, 10:28:46 AM »
Last night was a long night for us.  Alexis started crying at 11 and would not stop, my wife tried to feed her and I changed her hoping it would make her happy, but that failed.  No matter what we did she would not stop crying until sometime after 3am when she finally fell asleep in Kate's arms while I was taking my turn to sleep for a few hours.  We eventually switch "shifts" in which I held Alexis on my chest so that she would continue to sleep, around 5am I figured I would put her down in her play pen to sleep so that I could catch some shut eye on the couch without disturbing my wife. 
I see a few 3:00AM "around-the-block" car rides in your future.

When my son couldn't sleep, the first step was to walk around gently rocking him.
Next step was to put him in the baby seat, place in on top of the dryer, then turn it on (the combination noise / vibration was often enough to put him into "zzzzzzz" land )
Failing the first two things, load him into the car, and start to drive.
Usually, he would be gone in about 5 minutes

Offline Dagwood

• SITE PHILOSOPHER
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2009, 03:40:17 PM »
Wow... Did I miss some earth shattering news while I was away...

Fantastic News Bones.  Glad to hear everybody is doing well.  Your Daughter is beautiful!!!
“Being politically correct....not my forte”

Offline Broken Bones

• Global Moderator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2009, 09:48:51 AM »
I see a few 3:00AM "around-the-block" car rides in your future.

When my son couldn't sleep, the first step was to walk around gently rocking him.
Next step was to put him in the baby seat, place in on top of the dryer, then turn it on (the combination noise / vibration was often enough to put him into "zzzzzzz" land )
Failing the first two things, load him into the car, and start to drive.
Usually, he would be gone in about 5 minutes

We have not had to resort to the car, the one time it did cross my mind I was too tired and thought it was best to stay at home.  The nice thing is we actually have a chair for her, which puts her in a similar position as a car seat which has a vibrating motor.  If that fails we have a playpen in our living room which has a "box" that plays music, has a night light and includes a switch to vibrate the pen.

RIght now she can go about 5 hours at night, but every third night or so she needs to feed as if she was neglected all day even though she had been nursing nearly every 2 hours during the day.  When she does wake up at night it takes about 30 minutes to get her back to bed, if you put her down too soon after falling asleep in your arms she becomes fussy and wants to be held again.

Wow... Did I miss some earth shattering news while I was away...

Fantastic News Bones.  Glad to hear everybody is doing well.  Your Daughter is beautiful!!!

Thanks dags, maybe in a few months Alexis and I can head out to your new place to watch the Senators win the Stanley Cup....  :laugh2:

Offline Dagwood

• SITE PHILOSOPHER
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2009, 01:07:36 PM »
Open invite still stands Bones.  My Daughter can entertain Alexis while we watch the game  :drink:

Offline Broken Bones

• Global Moderator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2009, 02:34:03 PM »
Open invite still stands Bones.  My Daughter can entertain Alexis while we watch the game  :drink:

Alexis won't be joining any outings with me anytime soon as I don't have the necessary "tools" to meet her needs as my wife does. I'll definitely contact you to come out and see your new place once I get the green light that it's ok to go out occasionally. Hell, since the Senators have started to win games and play an entertaining game I have not been able to watch a full game let alone think of going to one, or going out to watch one.  I am really looking forward to the game against Vancouver too, it's a game I typically am guaranteed to go to!

Offline rose

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2009, 03:02:55 PM »
Hell, since the Senators have started to win games and play an entertaining game I have not been able to watch a full game let alone think of going to one, or going out to watch one.  I am really looking forward to the game against Vancouver too, it's a game I typically am guaranteed to go to!

Aaaahhhhh!  Parenthood...the time in life when there are no guarantees!!  ;)
"If you can't make up your mind, 'What the hell' is usually the right answer."  Ellen Reid Smith

Offline Dagwood

• SITE PHILOSOPHER
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 18, 2009, 12:44:37 PM »
Alexis won't be joining any outings with me anytime soon as I don't have the necessary "tools" to meet her needs as my wife does.

+ OR  
Equals a Happy Momma....and a Dad that can get out with his new child  ;)

Offline Broken Bones

• Global Moderator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2009, 10:05:07 PM »
We need to wait about a month before my wife starts pumping to give Alexis the bottle.  The last thing we want to do is encourage her to take the bottle and stop breast feeding.  Happened to friends of ours, they needed to bottle feed shortly after their son was born because he was not getting enough from breast feeding, he is now 100% on the bottle.

Offline classmate

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2009, 11:12:40 PM »
We need to wait about a month before my wife starts pumping to give Alexis the bottle.  The last thing we want to do is encourage her to take the bottle and stop breast feeding.  Happened to friends of ours, they needed to bottle feed shortly after their son was born because he was not getting enough from breast feeding, he is now 100% on the bottle.

Yea, that happened with my second (10 lb) baby.  I wasn't making enough milk and had to give a bottle too.  He said, "Yea, the bottle is much easier Mom. No more working to get milk on that other "thing". 

Yes, my son is a genius and could speak perfect english when he was born.  Got a problem with it?   :paddle:

Offline PiePants

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 19, 2009, 11:09:24 AM »
Yea, that happened with my second (10 lb) baby.  I wasn't making enough milk and had to give a bottle too.  He said, "Yea, the bottle is much easier Mom. No more working to get milk on that other "thing". 

Yes, my son is a genius and could speak perfect english when he was born.  Got a problem with it?   :paddle:

Could he also speak with a british accent?  If so, I'd be more worried he would try to kill you.

Offline Broken Bones

• Global Moderator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 19, 2009, 01:00:41 PM »
Could he also speak with a british accent?  If so, I'd be more worried he would try to kill you.

Well, that would be true English then now wouldn't it?

Yes, my son is a genius and could speak perfect english when he was born.  Got a problem with it?   :paddle:

Last night Alexis was extremely difficult to put to bed, she would fall asleep in the arms of anybody who was holding her, but the moment we put her down she started to cry.  And then to boot between 7pm and 1am she demanded she needed to be fed every hour.  Now my wife and I have a plan where she goes to bed at 8:30, I stay up with Alexis anywhere from 9-10 so that she does sleep, and then after that my wife will deal with her when she wakes up once I am bed, but if it is any time before 2am I have no problems waking up to help when needed. Well at one point last night my wife woke me up and she was crying, just completely frustrated as she was not getting any sleep from the time she went to bed because of Alexis' demand to be fed every hour.  She was on the brink of giving up on breast feeding and going to the bottle (Alexis, not my wife). But we don't have any bottles and formula ready at the go to make that switch at night she is sticking with breast feeding as she does not want to give up on this and the benefits to breast feeding, one of them being money saved.

Offline momr

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 19, 2009, 01:10:48 PM »
And I'm sure everyone and his dog has an opinion don't they BB. 

Do what you feel is right and don't listen to the fear mongerers who tell you that once a baby takes a bottle they won't take a breast - its simply not always true.  Sometimes true - but not always.  I did it with all 3 of mine - supplemented their nighttime feeds with formula so hubby could do them and I could sleep.  Cause your wife wont make milk if she is too tired and the merry-go-round will only get worse if she doesn't meet the demand with her supply. 

Good luck!!!

Offline butterfly_style

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • The Puck Stops Here
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 19, 2009, 01:41:22 PM »
Cause your wife wont make milk if she is too tired and the merry-go-round will only get worse if she doesn't meet the demand with her supply. 

Good luck!!!
Your wife may want to start pumping . . .just to get into a routine

Offline rose

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 19, 2009, 01:55:30 PM »
And I'm sure everyone and his dog has an opinion don't they BB. 

Do what you feel is right and don't listen to the fear mongerers who tell you that once a baby takes a bottle they won't take a breast - its simply not always true.  Sometimes true - but not always.  I did it with all 3 of mine - supplemented their nighttime feeds with formula so hubby could do them and I could sleep.  Cause your wife wont make milk if she is too tired and the merry-go-round will only get worse if she doesn't meet the demand with her supply. 

Good luck!!!

I agree....all three of mine were breastfed but they had the odd bottle now and then (sometimes breastmilk, sometimes boiled/cooled water) because I had to attend a funeral or something else that I was not taking a newborn to.  In any case, the reason I mention the boiled/cooled water was that my pediatrician mentioned that sometimes newborns get into an "unsettled" period where they are not actually hungry but only suckling will get them back to sleep.  Since mine were gaining weight properly and eating well (from the breast), she said that they don't always need food when they are fussy so to keep a bottle of boiled water in a bottle and give to baby when at room temperature (especially if they have just had a good feed an hour before).  Typically, they would have a few good 'snorts' and drift back off to sleep.

I remember those exhausting/frustrating times now and then.  Tell 'Mom" that, like labour, she will eventually forget all about it.

And I agree with momr.....do whatever you guys feel comfortable with.  I stopped breastfeeding when I felt like it (or when the front teeth sprouted!!   ;) ).
"If you can't make up your mind, 'What the hell' is usually the right answer."  Ellen Reid Smith

Offline momr

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 19, 2009, 02:04:54 PM »
I never did the pump - I couldn't get my mind past the image or the 'bonding' experience with machinery ;)

But I certainly did the water, right from day one.  But something tells me they don't recommend that anymore. Why?  Can't remember....

Rose is right - you forget everything    :nod:

Offline rose

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 19, 2009, 02:18:56 PM »
I never did the pump - I couldn't get my mind past the image or the 'bonding' experience with machinery ;)

But I certainly did the water, right from day one.  But something tells me they don't recommend that anymore. Why?  Can't remember....

Rose is right - you forget everything    :nod:

I got used to the pump although my first one was "manual" (oh gawd, I'm old!!!!!!!) so the upgrade to an electric one for child #2 was like heaven! 

They weren't high on the water idea back in the day with my little ones either....but my pediatrician said that with the "talk" turning to childhood obesity (yes....24 years ago...video games had just come onto the market for home use) etc., etc. made her feel that the "overfeeding" that can take place when they were newborns made her feel that water was not a bad idea (particularly since the fussiness was not linked to hunger necessarily).  In any case, that's what I did and it worked quite well (and only lasted for a short while until they were firmly established into routines).  I used to keep the water-bottle at the ready in the nursery when I put them down for the night so it was there if needed.