Author Topic: rogers disconnects  (Read 941 times)

Offline Pasky

• Hall of Fame Inductee
    • View Profile
rogers disconnects
« on: April 24, 2009, 01:13:51 AM »
so I'm having a bit of a problem with Rogers at the moment. It seems that we have an IRC bot/virus thingy on one of the computer that are connected to our network. They told us that they would disconnect the internet if we did not remove this virus/worm/whatever. Now i run a virus scan weekly on my laptop, it always only finds cookies and minor stuff like that. I ran another one after they called us, and found nothing. My step-dad is having his computer formatted (by Staples no less, so he's paying for that). My sister is abandoning her old PC since she's getting a laptop for graduation. So our computers are clean, or will be very soon.

I went online and researched this IRC bot, and most things I found were that Rogers would email someone to tell them they had a virus, this someone ran multiple anti-virus/spyware scans, and Rogers wouldn't let them back on the internet until they were told that the computer had been formated. In fact, a lot of people seemed to think it was a shifty way to get heavy users off the internet to free up bandwith.

Has anybody had this happen to them, and if so, what did you do?
"Kneel, Aes Sedai, or you will be knelt!" - Mazrim Taim

Offline Metalhawk

• Head-Bangin'-
  • Administrator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • Some Heads Are Gonna Roll!!!
    • View Profile
Re: rogers disconnects
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 01:46:08 AM »
There is another possibility and that is that there's nothing wrong with your computer. 2 possibilities come to mind.

1. Your MAC address has been cloned and you are getting warnings because of what is happening with that person. (a google search would explain in better details what this all means. But a new network card would be the best way to fix that problem.)

2. If you have a wireless router, someone is piggy-backing on your connection.

Of course, it's possible you are actually infected, and Rogers is well known to disconnect infected people. A quick look at dslreports.com's Rogers' forum would pop a similar story near the top.
"A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove that you donít need it"

Offline Pasky

• Hall of Fame Inductee
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 01:58:58 AM »
1. Your MAC address has been cloned and you are getting warnings because of what is happening with that person. (a google search would explain in better details what this all means. But a new network card would be the best way to fix that problem.)

This seems kinda far-fetched, and wouldn't that mean someone on my network is infected then?

2. If you have a wireless router, someone is piggy-backing on your connection.

I doubt it, my wireless router is secured, but that doesnt mean it aint happening.

so basically i'm stuck formatting my PC?
"Kneel, Aes Sedai, or you will be knelt!" - Mazrim Taim

Offline Metalhawk

• Head-Bangin'-
  • Administrator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • Some Heads Are Gonna Roll!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 02:50:39 AM »
When you say it's secured, is it WEP or WPA? Because WEP is basically useless of a protection. It was cracked almost as soon as it was introduced. WPA is practically impossible to crack if you use 6 or 7 (or more) characters for your password.
"A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove that you donít need it"