Author Topic: Bell Long Distance  (Read 3396 times)

Offline CrustyOldGuy

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
Bell Long Distance
« on: July 23, 2009, 11:43:00 AM »
Anybody use Bell for long distance?

We never have, but a call appears on my billl this month that I can't figure out who made it.  Don't know the person the number is assigned to, and can't think of anybody who was in our house on that evening.

This isn't a big issue...will probably come to me later...was only for 26 cents.  What burns me is a charge of $1.95 for "LD network connection fee".

I called Bell (guess which country I got).  They said it was a "fee" charged every month for the first long distance call made!!

I don't recall ever seeing a charge like this before, when I mistakenly didn't dial our Distributel number before making the long distance call!

What burns me more, is Bell just finished harrassing me to agree to their "Home Phone" plan, so I could get a $15.00 discount on my internet, and a $5.00 bundling discount.  They assured me that long distance calls were .05/minute and it would only cost me a buck more a month.

If they charge this every time, it looks like thatr first minute costs $0.40!!

Anybody else use their long distance services?

Now that I am older, I thought it was great that I seemed to have more patience.  Turns out I just don't give a damn.

I don't have an attitude...I have a personality you can't handle!

Offline rose

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
Re: Bell Long Distance
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 12:05:10 PM »
^^Used to use Bell but recently switched to Rogers who gave us a 'better deal'.  But don't get me started on all the "deals" that are out there.  As my husband said to a Rogers employee who answered his call last week "Luckily I'm retired so I have the time to go through my monthly statement like a forensic auditor" as every month it seems that Rogers 'bills' us for something else and/or makes a "mistake" not adhering to the terms that were agreed upon, etc., etc.  We only recently switched to Rogers long-distance...time will tell.  We didn't have many 'problems' with Bell long-distance....only reason we switched away from it was after repeatedly telling Rogers sales people that if they couldn't "do better" than the Bell plan we had, we wouldn't switch.  They finally offered a 'better deal'.
"If you can't make up your mind, 'What the hell' is usually the right answer."  Ellen Reid Smith

Offline stone169

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 12:15:44 PM »
I use Primus' Voice Over IP (VOIP) phone.  I have all the calling features that Bell offers and I only pay $35 a month.  I can also call anywhere in North America for free except for the Yukon and Alaska (I have no idea why).  I can even check my phone messages online.

The only problem is when the power goes out so does my phone, but the money that we save we have cell phones in case of emergencies.
There are good coaches and there are bad coaches, the real question is "Do you want this person to be a role model to your kids for the next 6 months".  That's the question you have to ask yourself.

Go Sarnia Jr. Sting Minor Midget MD!!!!!

Offline work2play

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
    • Petition Spot - CBC is for all Canadians
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2009, 12:21:16 PM »
Yes we still use Bell at home for all of our telephone services.  Much as many like to complain about Bell, it is still the best telephony network in this country.

As far as I know that $1.95 fee is only charged by Bell to customers of other long distance providers that make a call using Bell's long distance network.  Basically their way of making you pay extra if you forget to enter the access code of your LD provider (Distributel in your case).

Either that or I don't see it on our Bell bill because it's included in our monthly LD package, but I don't ever remember seeing it on our bill even before we signed up for that package (which pays for itself the first time each month that my wife calls her family out west).
Lost your job yet?  Keep buying foreign!

Offline CrustyOldGuy

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2009, 01:13:02 PM »
As far as I know that $1.95 fee is only charged by Bell to customers of other long distance providers that make a call using Bell's long distance network.  Basically their way of making you pay extra if you forget to enter the access code of your LD provider (Distributel in your case).

How the heck would they know we use Distributel unless they track the number we dial before we enter the long distance number?

Or maybe they just decide to pound the crap out of people who don't sign up for their long distance package.

Basically do agree w2P, we stuck with Bell because they have been in the business the longest, and I have had very few problems with the phone side of the business.

Don't get me started on the internet and television side...they screw that up on a regular basis.  I have to do the same thing as Roses' hubby...check the bill with a fine tooth comb every month.

So I guess there is nobody who just pays for long distance like we used to do in the "good ole days".
Now that I am older, I thought it was great that I seemed to have more patience.  Turns out I just don't give a damn.

Offline work2play

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2009, 01:41:19 PM »
How the heck would they know we use Distributel unless they track the number we dial before we enter the long distance number?
They're the phone company, they can track the routing of any/every call in their network if they want to.

Or maybe they just decide to pound the crap out of people who don't sign up for their long distance package.
That would be a very Bell like thing to do!

Basically do agree w2P, we stuck with Bell because they have been in the business the longest, and I have had very few problems with the phone side of the business.
I have never switched us at home because of the problems I have encountered in the business world with other phone companies.  I would consider VOIP, but there are side effects to strictly using VOIP.  One being that 911 can not automatically locate you, and since we live in the country it's hard enough to find us as it is.   The one way I have looked at getting into VOIP is to put a VOIP PBX into our house (you can build your own for no cost other than an old computer that you have retired from other use) and getting friends and family that are located strategically around the world to do the same.  Our LD plan only covers Canada, so that would help cut any LD costs for calls to other countries.

Don't get me started on the internet and television side...they screw that up on a regular basis.  I have to do the same thing as Roses' hubby...check the bill with a fine tooth comb every month.
Never tried Bell for internet as I know the only way they can meet my needs is for me to sign up for business class service, which doubles the price.    Even though I don't live in the Ottawa area, I use a smaller ISP from Ottawa (www.aserty.com) for my DSL service at home.  No band width caps and only a small fee for the static IP address I need.  I used to use another third party ISP, but I got tired of their service being unreliable and their tech support people trying to BS me when I called about it.  With how long I have worked in the computer business I know far more about this technology that some first or second level tech support rep.  On the one occasion where there was a problem with my new service they told me straight up that the outage was their fault because one of their techs had made a mistake configuring something that impacted my connection.  That incident was a few years ago now, and the service up time has been rock solid ever since.  I have had calls from Bell and other ISP's since, but I don't think anyone could make me switch even if they did offer me a better price.  You don't just find that kind of honesty enough in business these days.  That one bit of honesty bought them a level of customer loyalty from me that any other company would find extremely difficult to overcome.

As for TV, we now have no choice but to use satellite, and yes it's Bell.  I hate it and would switch back to cable tomorrow if it was an option.  If anyone knows of another (legal) satellite provider in this country that is better than Bell I'd welcome any recommendations.

So I guess there is nobody who just pays for long distance like we used to do in the "good ole days".
We did up until about a year ago when we signed up for the plan we are currently on.  What surprised me was it was Bell that called me and told me that I could get this plan that provides 1600 minutes anywhere in Canada for less what it was typically costing for my wife to make one call to her family.  I signed up on the spot.

Offline Metalhawk

• Head-Bangin'-
  • Administrator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • Some Heads Are Gonna Roll!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2009, 01:49:22 PM »
If anyone knows of another (legal) satellite provider in this country that is better than Bell I'd welcome any recommendations.

Star Choice?
"A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove that you donít need it"

Offline CrustyOldGuy

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2009, 02:58:01 PM »
What surprised me was it was Bell that called me and told me that I could get this plan that provides 1600 minutes anywhere in Canada for less what it was typically costing for my wife to make one call to her family.  I signed up on the spot.
Same thing happened here...except they wanted me to take the "Home Phone Bundle" to get a net $19.00 saving.  I got all these "features" that I didn't want or need, but said "go ahead".  I already had their Call Answer, but after they put the rest of the crap on the line, my Call Answer was in French!!

I swear they can't do anything right the first time... :duh

And yes MH...Star Choice is something I am considering, if they screw up my Expressvu one more time... :icon_angry2:

Offline work2play

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2009, 11:25:50 AM »
Star Choice?
Is it any better than ExpressVu? 

Offline CrustyOldGuy

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2009, 11:55:59 AM »

It's not Bell...need I say more?   8)

I know a few people with it, and they don't have any beefs.

Offline Metalhawk

• Head-Bangin'-
  • Administrator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • Some Heads Are Gonna Roll!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2009, 01:20:53 PM »

First, I have to correct myself: they are now called Shaw Direct, not Star Choice.

As for your question, I don't know, I'm with Rogers. But as CoG said before me, it's not Bell, so that's already a good thing. :) You could check the Shaw Direct forums over at digitalhome.ca and get an idea.
"A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove that you donít need it"

Offline work2play

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2009, 04:23:23 PM »
First, I have to correct myself: they are now called Shaw Direct, not Star Choice.
OK, but if you had said Shaw Direct I wouldn't have known you were talking about Star Choice.

As for your question, I don't know, I'm with Rogers. But as CoG said before me, it's not Bell, so that's already a good thing. :) You could check the Shaw Direct forums over at digitalhome.ca and get an idea.
Thanks I will.  At one time I was both a Shaw cable and internet customer and was perfectly happy with both.  Then Shaw and Rogers did their territory swap.  Rogers were OK for television, but a horrible ISP (at least in the area I lived at the time).

Offline goaliedave

• Future Hall of Famer
    • View Profile
    • Senators Army Club
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2009, 02:24:30 AM »
been a Bell only customer since day 1, had a portable phone with them since I won it at a Sens game at the Civic Centre. I pay $5 a month for unlimited long distance Cda-USA still that I got years ago. Never had a problem... every time I call I just say look I've been a Bell "cell" customer for over 15 years and theysolve everything. have Bell internet and home phone and cell and never a problem; they always match whatever Rogers gives.
There's a bounty on anyone named Murray in Binghamton as of NHL trading deadline day.