Author Topic: The Official Karlsson Thread. [merged]  (Read 9230 times)

Offline moxie

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • A Proud Member of The P.P.A.
    • View Profile
The Official Karlsson Thread. [merged]
« on: October 13, 2009, 05:57:16 PM »
What do you guys think of the kid so far? I'm sticking to my guns in saying that there is no way he is ready for the NHL yet. He is way too small. His lack of size hasn't really left him KO'd or anything thus far, but he is constantly rushing plays, scrambling with the puck in trying to avoid being hit, making constant turnovers that have led directly to goals more than a few times. As for his offensive potential, well, he seems to have a decent shot, but he does not make very good decisions in the offensive zone. If we are going to run 5 forwards on the power play, we need to send this guy back to Sweden ASAP, because he is completely useless otherwise.

Am I missing anything here? Is my anti-Karlsson bias causing me to ignore some positives in his game?

Campoli has been kind of slumping so far as well. Both of these guys are way too small, but Campoli is much more accustomed to the pace and physicality at the NHL level. All of our "bottom pairing" type guys have outplayed Karlsson, and I see no reason why even Brian Lee wouldn't if he were up here.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 06:00:19 PM by moxie »
He could drink like hell, he could fight like hell.

Offline PiePants

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
Re: Karlsson experiment 2 week in
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 06:10:12 PM »
Offensively, he has great potential, has better vision and passing ability than any of our defensemen, and has a good shot.  Defensively, it's not that he isn't capable, and yes the lack of size is a concern, but the defensive pairings have done nothing but highlight his weaknesses rather than shelter him.  If anything, it highlights our lack of depth on the backend with Kuba being injured.  Personally, I think being paired with a veteran defenseman like Kuba, Phillips or Volchenkov he would be doing fine.  Right now, without Kuba we're essentially gunning on 4 rookie defensemen to carry the load, and it doesn't matter whether it's Karlsson, Campoli, or Picard who are there, they are all going to get exposed badly, especially if Phillips and Volchenkov are playing together.

Offline Jasonf6

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • The good 'ol days
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 06:22:58 PM »
Nah, I completely agree that he isn't NHL-ready yet.  He will be in a year or two after he puts on 30-40 lbs and has time to adjust to the extra weight.

Campoli is slumping but I wouldn't replace any of our guys with Lee, I just don't think he is that good.

Offline Enkidu

• NHL Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 06:30:24 PM »
I've been in the minority, but I think he could benefit from futher development not in the NHL.  I don't think he'd be out of place in the AHL, he can handle the physical side of the game.

I do find it redundant to have both Campoli and Karllsson playing.  They bring a very similar game, and in my opinion once Campoli's contract is up after this season, then it would make more sense to bring Karl on.

I also think being paired with a veteran who could "show him the ropes" would benefit him a lot, much like what Gator did with Lee last year.

Offline momr

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 06:50:51 PM »
I think Karllsson has been forced to play too many minutes with Kuba being injured.  I would not rush to send him to the AHL.  He is no worse and will never be any worse than Picard!!!

Offline Metalhawk

• Head-Bangin'-
  • Administrator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • Some Heads Are Gonna Roll!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2009, 10:30:38 PM »
Quote from: Metalhawk
Karlsson is not ready. He can make good plays, but just the same, some of his giveaways are just brutal. The 2nd Pittsburgh goal, all he had to do was go to the corner, and move the puck. Instead, he got scared when a forechecking forward approached him, the Pens got control of the puck and scored.
"A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove that you donít need it"

Offline FBK

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 11:37:09 PM »
Offensively, he has great potential, has better vision and passing ability than any of our defensemen, and has a good shot.  Defensively, it's not that he isn't capable, and yes the lack of size is a concern, but the defensive pairings have done nothing but highlight his weaknesses rather than shelter him.  If anything, it highlights our lack of depth on the backend with Kuba being injured.  Personally, I think being paired with a veteran defenseman like Kuba, Phillips or Volchenkov he would be doing fine.  Right now, without Kuba we're essentially gunning on 4 rookie defensemen to carry the load, and it doesn't matter whether it's Karlsson, Campoli, or Picard who are there, they are all going to get exposed badly, especially if Phillips and Volchenkov are playing together.
:icon_agree:
Offensively he is great. Why don't we put volchenkov with him???? After all volchenkov is our best or second best body checker.  I think we should give karlsson a chance. Let him play 10 games. And then see what we could do with him.
RAP AND HIP-HOP FOR LIFE

Offline Special J

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2009, 09:32:05 AM »
He's shown me he can do some stuff with the puck and could turn out to be a really good transition player.

But whether its size, age or experience with the North American game he doesn't look ready.  He is getting pressured badly on the forecheck and struggles in the corners.  Opponents are picking up on this too.

Unfortunately our next option is Brian Lee and I don't know if he'd be better or worse.  Kuba being out really shines a light on how thin they are on the blue line.
"Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true." - Homer Simpson

Offline sensfan1984

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2009, 10:13:00 AM »
Sadly he isn't ready for the nhl yet. It is definitely in his best interest to be sent down. Let's just hope Murray doesn't pull a Bob Gainey by keeping this kid up here because his ego is too big to admit the prized prospect isn't ready.

However, I would like to see Karlsson paired with Kuba again for the next couple games. Paired with Picard or Campoli, it is impossible for him to succeed.

Offline FBK

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2009, 10:19:39 AM »
Sadly he isn't ready for the nhl yet. It is definitely in his best interest to be sent down. Let's just hope Murray doesn't pull a Bob Gainey by keeping this kid up here because his ego is too big to admit the prized prospect isn't ready.

However, I would like to see Karlsson paired with Kuba again for the next couple games. Paired with Picard or Campoli, it is impossible for him to succeed.
:icon_agree:
RAP AND HIP-HOP FOR LIFE

Offline Bytown_Brawler

• Bingo Sen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2009, 08:07:11 PM »
  Kuba being out really shines a light on how thin they are on the blue line.

thin is right, I think he only weighs 165 lbs.  ?

Offline s3nsfan75

• Future Hall of Famer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2009, 11:01:18 PM »
I have to agree with Mox, he is completely rushed in certain areas and forgets he is in the NHL sometimes when he tries to carry the puck out of the zone.  He was visibly out of place on monday and I don't feel we need to have two Campoli type players.  Send him to the AHL I believe it's a better fit for him then sending him back to Sweden however, the players are bigger, more hitting, faster paced and the same ice surface, as well there are players coming up and down through the "A" all the time, and he'll get more accustomed to the game then sending him back to Europe.  That to me would be a waste of a season in his development.  Be harder to track his progress when he is playing a different game (larger ice, less contact etc etc etc) 'Sides keeping him here they can help him bulk up a bit as well and put some muscle on that little boy frame he's carrying around

Offline Special J

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2009, 09:33:48 AM »
I agree.  He needs to go to Bingo.  He will not develop further in Sweden.
"Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true." - Homer Simpson

Offline sensfan1984

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2009, 09:59:02 AM »
Murray stated today that Karlsson will likely be staying around for the entire season. He said that while Karlsson might spend some time in the AHL, the 10 game mark will not matter.

That bothers me quite a bit because then he uses up one very valuable year on his entry level contract. If he's not going to be up here all year, then he should be down there all year.

Offline moxie

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2009, 10:01:00 AM »
Murray stated today that Karlsson will likely be staying around for the entire season. He said that while Karlsson might spend some time in the AHL, the 10 game mark will not matter.

That bothers me quite a bit because then he uses up one very valuable year on his entry level contract. If he's not going to be up here all year, then he should be down there all year.

Is this taken out of an article?

Offline sensfan1984

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2009, 10:04:30 AM »
Is this taken out of an article?

I read it in the newspaper this morning, but I've found the link online for you.

http://www.metronews.ca/ottawa/sports/article/340002--ottawa-s-russian-anton-volchenkov-back-in-form

the Senators have given Karlsson a vote of confidence as the schedule ticks toward the magic 10-game mark that could have decided the 19-year-old's fate for this season.

"Erik's a young guy who's going to be an NHL player for a long time," Ottawa general manager Bryan Murray said Wednesday. "Whether he's here for every game or whatever this year, I don't know that, but 10 games won't be the trigger point."

Offline FBK

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2009, 10:10:59 AM »
I think murray might send him to bingo.

RAP AND HIP-HOP FOR LIFE

Offline moxie

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2009, 10:15:49 AM »
The Moscow native doesn't even hit the most on the Senators - that would be Chris Neil - but he's the most feared in the Eastern Conference if not the league, centre Jason Spezza said Wednesday.

Obviously Spezza doesn't want us to re-sign him.  :laugh2:

Offline sensfan1984

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2009, 10:16:17 AM »
I think murray might send him to bingo.

The title of the article in the newspaper itself was "Karlsson sticking around". For some reason it isn't the same online.

If he sends him to Bingo, I hope it is before the 10 game mark.

Offline FBK

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2009, 10:23:19 AM »
The title of the article in the newspaper itself was "Karlsson sticking around". For some reason it isn't the same online.

If he sends him to Bingo, I hope it is before the 10 game mark.
I think murrey is gonna see what karlsson does for 9 games. Then he is going to decide. Karlsson isn't nhl ready yet. He will probebly want him to add some weight and get used to the style of play in North Americe. Karlsson does look like he has a good career ahead of him. But I think its a little too early.
RAP AND HIP-HOP FOR LIFE