Author Topic: Hello all  (Read 7773 times)

Offline Johnny English

• Future Hall of Famer
  • Canadian Heroine
    • View Profile
Hello all
« on: January 08, 2010, 01:19:00 PM »
I'm a new arrival to Ottawa from England, have been following hockey and the Senators on and off for a few years from afar but now I'm here, getting into it in a far more serious way. Apologies in advance for the dumb questions I'm inevitably going to ask.....
We all dream of a team of Chris Kellys.

Offline FV

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
Re: Hello all
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 01:22:42 PM »
Welcome aboard!   :drink:
Proud member of the P.P.A. since 2008.

Offline rose

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 01:33:18 PM »
Welcome to the site and to Canada!!!  Always nice to have new "immifans"!!  And ask away....there are no dumb questions in lifelong learning.  Cheers!   :thumbsup:
"If you can't make up your mind, 'What the hell' is usually the right answer."  Ellen Reid Smith

Offline Jasonf6

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • The good 'ol days
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 01:54:14 PM »
Yup, welcome aboard.

And ya, there are no stupid questions, only stupid answers. :)

Offline momr

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 01:54:35 PM »
The problem with getting information from us is that if you ask one question to 10 fans, you'll get 10 different answers.  There isn't a lot of consistency in fandome    :spin:

Welcome aboard and bear with us  ;)

Offline FV

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 01:55:29 PM »
The problem with getting information from us is that if you ask one question to 10 fans, you'll get 10 different answers.  

So just listen to me......

Offline CrustyOldGuy

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 02:21:41 PM »
Welcome!

And don't listen to FV... :smily1263:
Now that I am older, I thought it was great that I seemed to have more patience.  Turns out I just don't give a damn.

I don't have an attitude...I have a personality you can't handle!

Offline Jasonf6

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • The good 'ol days
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2010, 02:43:35 PM »
Welcome!

And don't listen to FV... :smily1263:

Ya, he has Leafitis.  A rare condition that we wish would be limited to Southern Ontario but has somehow spread across the country.  :mrgreen:

Offline momr

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2010, 02:47:16 PM »
So just listen to me......

Only if you agree to change your name from FV to PF (Permanent Fixture)   :D

Offline rose

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2010, 02:47:49 PM »
Ya, he has Leafitis.  A rare condition that we wish would be limited to Southern Ontario but has somehow spread across the country.  :mrgreen:

I don't think that FV's case of Leafitis is out of control, though.  His symptoms of the rampant variety have settled down a lot over the last couple of years and he only shows true evidence of the disease when he hears/reads the word "Laffs" at which point his case is quite severe and likely requires some sort of (liquid) medication to placate and have it go back into its more dormant state.  I believe the medical literature shows that Leafitis is not totally curable and, like herpes, is always in one's system once one has been infected but is totally controllable in the longterm. :nod:
"If you can't make up your mind, 'What the hell' is usually the right answer."  Ellen Reid Smith

Offline Jasonf6

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • The good 'ol days
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2010, 02:48:55 PM »
 I believe the medical literature shows that Leafitis is not totally curable and, like herpes, is always in one's system once one has been infected but is totally controllable in the longterm. :nod:

:A_laughing_matter:

Offline FV

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2010, 02:55:11 PM »
 :laugh2:  That's why I went from FrequentVisitor to FV.  With about 4600 posts it didn't make a lot of sense.  

Actually the "Laffs" thing I pretty much ignore now.  Trust me, I'm not fond of name like the "Turds" either it's not just Leaf names!   :nod:  I just learned on public forums you have to ignore some stuff.  When I was a newby, name calling freaked me out a bit.  I thought it was pretty strange.

Too be honest, this place is pretty civil JE (that BTW is probably what you will be called in here).

Offline Small Town

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2010, 02:59:23 PM »
Heeeeeeeeeeeer's Johnny!  Welcome to the board. I will be in London a week from this Sunday.  Is there any hockey I should be looking to watch?  Unfortunately my trip is very short (Brussels to London via the Chunnel on Sunday, meetings on Monday, flight back to Ottawa on Tuesday).
It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

Offline rose

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2010, 03:12:12 PM »
Actually the "Laffs" thing I pretty much ignore now.  Trust me, I'm not fond of name like the "Turds" either it's not just Leaf names!   :nod:  I just learned on public forums you have to ignore some stuff.  When I was a newby, name calling freaked me out a bit.  I thought it was pretty strange.

:icon_agree:  The name-calling I have seen (and continue to now and then) on sites like this used to be very offputting but my internal ignore button works pretty well (some days better than others).  I think what we have here, over a lot of other sites, is a group of Mods that maintain the overall civility levels which makes it, for me, an enjoyable place to be.  There are "moments" here and there and some debates can get pretty heated but it would appear that there is a decent level of respect, and restraint, exercised but the Sensnetworkers.   :nod:   :thumbsup: to our Moderators for keeping the 'order' so well!!! :thumbsup:

Offline Johnny English

• Future Hall of Famer
  • Canadian Heroine
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2010, 10:55:58 PM »
Thanks all, I've only been here a short while but have already developed, it appears, a severe allergy to blue and white. Dirty dirty dirty.

Heeeeeeeeeeeer's Johnny!  Welcome to the board. I will be in London a week from this Sunday.  Is there any hockey I should be looking to watch?  Unfortunately my trip is very short (Brussels to London via the Chunnel on Sunday, meetings on Monday, flight back to Ottawa on Tuesday).

I very much doubt it. The Elite League in the UK is pretty poor compared to the NHL or even OHL standard, and London doesn't even have a team - there are actually only eight teams in the Elite League. You might find a game on the outskirts of London in the EPL (English Premier League) which is a level below Elite, but it wouldn't bear any resemblance to hockey as you know it.
We all dream of a team of Chris Kellys.

Offline classmate

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2010, 11:21:24 PM »
Thanks all, I've only been here a short while but have already developed, it appears, a severe allergy to blue and white. Dirty dirty dirty.

Just don't add red to that and we'll get along just fine.   :nod:

I'm from Binghamton NY, ("FARM" Country) good ole USA.  Ya know USA the winners of the gold at the World Juniors Tournament.  :smily1263:

(That's it everyone I promise.  I know better then to take on Canada by myself.)

Offline Small Town

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2010, 08:37:27 PM »
Hey - you got the bragging rights - exercise them!
It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

Offline butterfly_style

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • The Puck Stops Here
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2010, 02:13:35 PM »
Quote from: Johnny English
I'm a new arrival to Ottawa from England, have been following hockey and the Senators on and off for a few years from afar but now I'm here, getting into it in a far more serious way. Apologies in advance for the dumb questions I'm inevitably going to ask.....
Quote from: Jasonf6
Yup, welcome aboard.
And ya, there are no stupid questions, only stupid answers. :)
Let me apologise in advance for my stupid answers
Quote from: classmate
I'm from Binghamton NY, ("FARM" Country) good ole USA. 
Ya know USA the winners of the gold at the World Juniors Tournament.  :smily1263:
Too bad you're the only one in the states that knows this !!

Oh yeah, Welcome aboard Johnnie !!

Offline classmate

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2010, 03:57:56 PM »
Too bad you're the only one in the states that knows this !!

Pffflt   My husband knows too, so there... :mrgreen:

Offline butterfly_style

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • The Puck Stops Here
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2010, 03:36:18 PM »
Pffflt   My husband knows too, so there... :mrgreen:
So you tell two friends, and they'll tell two friends . . .and so on  . . .and so on.