Author Topic: Game #74 Discussion ~ SENS vs Flyers ~ Tuesday Mar. 23  (Read 3336 times)

Offline OS

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • MacLean is Really Good!
    • View Profile
Re: Game #74 Discussion ~ SENS vs Flyers ~ Tuesday Mar. 23
« Reply #80 on: March 24, 2010, 03:47:26 PM »
There's a difference between being a big hitting D, and running around hitting people to hurt.  I mean, Pronger is considered a dirty player, but if you look at his recent suspensions, they had nothing to do with actually running around and making big hits or getting out of position to make the big hits.  In the 06-07 playoffs, he got suspended for chasing the puck and putting Holmstrom into the boards.  Subsequently he got suspended again for his elbow on McAmmond, but he wasn't chasing him, he simply smashed him with his elbow.  Then a couple of years ago, he got suspended for stomping on a player after getting tangled up with him, and he wasn't going to get anything until a higher quality video of the incident surfaced.  Ultimately, Pronger has over 20 fighting majors to his credit, does Volchenkov have any?

Pronger is/has been a very dirty player over his career, A-Train has never had the reputation.  Last night is one, but I can't really recall where teams have looked that much to have someone fight A-Train because of a hit.  If it's there, he does makes the hit, but his first responsibility is to playing D. I think most players know that, which is why you don't have guys looking for him very often.  I don't buy that a player that is for the most part clean, has to fight because he can also lay down a solid body check - especially a D-man.  IMHO, this whole tangent implying he is a lesser player because he hits hard but doesn't fight bizarre.

Anyway, plenty for fans of each team to point fingers about last night.

Eastwood on the post-game show last night ripped Gagne for laying on the ice trying to draw a penalty.  He was NOT impressed that he layed there like he was hurt, but then jumped up to jump A-Train.   I never thought of that, but it was pretty funny listening to him - to bad I can't reproduce his tone in text!

Offline rose

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 24, 2010, 04:02:42 PM »

Pronger is/has been a very dirty player over his career, A-Train has never had the reputation.  Last night is one, but I can't really recall where teams have looked that much to have someone fight A-Train because of a hit.  If it's there, he does makes the hit, but his first responsibility is to playing D. I think most players know that, which is why you don't have guys looking for him very often.  I don't buy that a player that is for the most part clean, has to fight because he can also lay down a solid body check - especially a D-man.  IMHO, this whole tangent implying he is a lesser player because he hits hard but doesn't fight bizarre.

Anyway, plenty for fans of each team to point fingers about last night.

Eastwood on the post-game show last night ripped Gagne for laying on the ice trying to draw a penalty.  He was NOT impressed that he layed there like he was hurt, but then jumped up to jump A-Train.   I never thought of that, but it was pretty funny listening to him - to bad I can't reproduce his tone in text!

:icon_agree:  completely!  A-Train has a reputation for hitting hard and sacrificing himself game in and game out by the number of shots he blocks.  Running from "manning up"?  Not something that I would associate with A-Train just like his defence partner, Phillips, who has had few fights in his day. 

I only saw the third period of the game last night so I missed some of the shenanigans live.  But I did see the replay of Sutton sticking up for his "little buddy" Karlsson and I laughed out loud at the look on Sutton's face when he reached Carcillo.  Wonder if that little jerk wet himself...just a little bit?   ;)

A lot of players, over the course of their careers, have had 'misfires' in terms of hits they deliver.  The hit on Gagne was questionable as Gagne's decision to turn his back on Volchenkov.  As a result, for me, it's a wash.

And, for me, most hits hurt.  It's hits that intentionally are meant to injure that bother me.  On the whole, I don't believe that Volchenkov hits to injure.

My two cents.
"If you can't make up your mind, 'What the hell' is usually the right answer."  Ellen Reid Smith

Offline gosensgo101

• Hall of Fame Inductee
  • So long Fish & Kells
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 24, 2010, 04:17:32 PM »
Both Volchenkov's hit on Gagne and Carcillo's hit on Karlsson were clean. If you see the guy coming and turn your back at him, like one guy said earlier, its as bad as diving.

Nobody should have to drop the gloves for a clean hit. If you make a dirty play, you should be prepared to have to drop your gloves, and if you don't, you lose any of my respect that you still have left after the dirty play. Volchenkov's hit was clean, you could even say that Gagne brought it on himself, so I don't think Volchenkov had any obligation to fight.

On another note, I don't even give Pronger the dignity of calling his Elbow on McAmmond a bodycheck or a hit. It was a dirty elbow, not a check, not a hockey play.

Offline classmate

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 24, 2010, 04:26:01 PM »
Come on guys you can't surprised that Flyers fans are concentrating on the hits against, we're no different here don't think that we are.  Everyone loves their own team :)

Yes and why anyone loves the Flyers is way beyond me.   :shake:    :icon_vomit:     :twisted