Author Topic: Game #71 Discussion ~ SENS @ Thrashers ~ Thursday Mar. 18  (Read 5647 times)

Offline Jasonf6

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • The good 'ol days
    • View Profile
Re: Game #71 Discussion ~ SENS @ Thrashers ~ Thursday Mar. 18
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2010, 10:11:39 PM »
Yieks... can't say too much today :(  I think focus was lost over the break and I think it might be time for the coaching staff to kick the refocusing into high gear.  I'm thinking make em stay in a hotel even at home.

Pretty ugly to be sure... but still got a decent amount of time to turn this thing around

Given their record on the road I don't think a hotel will do shit.

Offline SensFanInMTL

• Bingo Sen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2010, 11:09:54 PM »
Will Clouston's job be on the line?

Offline Funky McBain

• Future Hall of Famer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2010, 12:15:12 AM »
I sure hope not this organization needs some stability let a coach actually do something
Stupendimus Geographicus

Offline Budkiller

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2010, 01:01:10 AM »
So the Sens have now scored just 2 goals in their last 10 periods. It's getting pathological. How fragile are their psyches?

And it's infectious.  So many new players in the past few seasons and it seems none of the are immune to it.

Offline Metalhawk

• Head-Bangin'-
  • Administrator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • Some Heads Are Gonna Roll!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2010, 01:40:12 AM »
I put part of the blame right now on Clouston. He's quick to shuffle the lines around trying to get things clicking (he made a few great on-the-fly changes at various points this season), but the power-play is pathetic time after time after time, but Clouston keeps throwing the same players over and over again, and the result is the same over and over again. I don't know if it's just plain stubbornness (I believe he said before he's the one in charge of the PP, not an assistant coach) or fear of benching some PP regulars, but it's time for something different. Maybe putting Carkner or Sutton in front of the net (it worked with Chara a few years ago).

What happened to "accountability"? Clouston wasn't afraid to bench under-performing big guns last year, and with a few exceptions that can be counted on one hand, it has not happened this year. Right now, Spezza, Kovalev, Fisher and Alfie could all use a little ass-stapling to the bench.

/rant
"A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove that you donít need it"

Offline FBK

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2010, 02:35:36 AM »
I've had enough. Now we are on a losing streak. What has happenned to the sens??? They can't beat anyone. They have only won one game since the olympic break. I know that we are still in the playoff spot but we might not be by april. Clouston has to do something about it. We have struggled on the PP. Yet he keeps on putting the same guys on the pp.
RAP AND HIP-HOP FOR LIFE

Offline Billy_Muckwalt

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2010, 08:19:11 AM »
This team has ALWAYS been known to be unpredictable and unstable. The core team is capable of such amazing highs, then without reason, they can also be the worst team in the league. Hot and Cold doesn't describe it.

And Phillips again shows his age out there. But he got a goal so all is good. My god he is slow though. He basically cost the sens one too.  Stats or no stats, anyone thats at the arena on a regular basis would agree he's dragging himself like never before. I started to notice it back in the 07 playoff run where he got many stupid penalties for basically being slow.

You can't isolate one player here. Its time for a major rebuild in which NO ONE is protected.
The Alife era is officially over here, lets move on and rebuild.

If they fire Clouston or something over this and leave the team, then thats the last straw for me. Going from a season tickett holder to a split ticket pack with MTL was the best move ever. The exact opposite is going on in MTL.  :ccclapping:  Jeebs, T.O is even starting to come around. Maybe a few games at the ACC is in order next year too. The Sens on the other hand... cest le poop!

Luongo sucks.

Offline sensfan1984

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2010, 09:14:31 AM »
Yes we should rebuild a team currently in a playoff spot  :laugh2:

Offline Billy_Muckwalt

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2010, 09:18:27 AM »
Yes we should rebuild a team currently in a playoff spot  :laugh2:

Yeah, they are poised for a deep playoff run this spring !  :A_laughing_matter:   That is, if they even make it.
The sens are headed towards a rebuilding phase, thats pretty common knowledge in the media and anywhere else..
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 09:22:49 AM by Billy_Muckwalt »
Luongo sucks.

Offline rose

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2010, 09:19:19 AM »
The good news about last night's game, the Sens scored more than one goal.  The bad news is, they needed seven, not three, to pull of a win. :duh

The game was 'interesting' to me right up until the controversial (here in Sens Nation, at least) call on Sutton that ended up leading to the game-winning PP goal.  Even though down by a 3-1 score the Sens kept up their compete level well enough to come back and tie it up.  But, once that goal was scored on a call that was complete BS, IMHO, it was like  what little confidence they had gained from scoring three goals in less than a game went down the toilet and they just gave up. :icon_banghead:

And while I know the support for Elliott was not good, he was not playing near well enough either.   :shake:  While Hedberg, at the other end of the rink, not only outplayed him but showed that he had a pulse arguing with the refs (on a goal - the Sens' second - that frankly he WAS interfered with and likely should not have been allowed).  And what is Hedberg and his team-mates playing for?  Obviously "pride" is still in their vocabulary because it sure as heck is not to win over their fans which it would appear they have very few of who are willing to actually pay to see them play.   :popcorn:

Very difficult to say much positive, as a Sens fan, about last night's display of disinterest and ineptitude.  Although 1) I liked what I saw from the Kelly-Ruutu-Neil line overall and 2) I was pleased to see them get a full 59 seconds as the second PP unit during the Sens' last PP of the game.  It was about time to 'give' them something to reward them for their efforts on the night. :thumbsup:

"If you can't make up your mind, 'What the hell' is usually the right answer."  Ellen Reid Smith

Offline Billy_Muckwalt

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2010, 09:24:44 AM »
Thats the second bad call on Sutton, but you have to work through this stuff.  The team seemed to give up after that. It's more than just the penalty, but that was a bad call. However, I still believe the Sens would have lost even if that call had not been made.
Luongo sucks.

Offline gared66

• Hall of Fame Inductee
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2010, 09:26:41 AM »
They shouldn't fire Clouston, that's ridiculous. I'm as down on the sens as anyone, but people were talking about him winning the Jack Adams as of 2 weeks ago. 2 weeks does not invalidate an entire year of success.

The defensive breakdowns are very disturbing though. The offense was always streaky, but the one thing the senators did well consistently this year was play tight checking one or two goal games. I thought that was their identity. Ever since the trades... and no I am not hanging it on Cullen or Sutton, but ever since then I don't recognize the system those guys are playing anymore.

And why is Elliot untouchable? How come Leclaire gets pulled 5 minutes in, after 2 goals, but Elliot is left out there for 6? What does Clouston have against him?

Offline rose

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2010, 09:28:45 AM »
Thats the second bad call on Sutton, but you have to work through this stuff.  The team seemed to give up after that. It's more than just the penalty, but that was a bad call. However, I still believe the Sens would have lost even if that call had not been made.

Oh...they very well might have still lost without that call.  I don't disagree.  However, for me watching here at home, it seemed to signal the end of the Sens' "compete" level.  Coincidence? Very possibly.   :smily677:
"If you can't make up your mind, 'What the hell' is usually the right answer."  Ellen Reid Smith

Offline PiePants

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2010, 09:33:25 AM »
And Phillips again shows his age out there. But he got a goal so all is good. My god he is slow though. He basically cost the sens one too.

Phillips being slow isn't necessarily a problem.  No team out there has an entire defense core composed of speedsters, and even the defending cup champions relied heavily upon a pylon on skates (Hal Gill).  The problem is with Murray building the entire defense corps out of these slow footed defensemen.  From Richardson, Smith, Commodore, Carkner, and now Sutton, our defense has gotten too slow and too defensively minded to compete like it needs to.  

The sens are headed towards a rebuilding phase, thats pretty common knowledge.

Yeah, the sens are poised for a deep playoff run this spring!  A_laughing_matter

Where was it implied by him that the Sens are going for a deep playoff run?  If anything his past posts have indicated that he doesn't believe the Sens are going to go deep in the playoffs and that the focus should have been on getting assets in order to rebuild the farm and ensure we don't lose Volchenkov for nothing, rather than giving away draft picks.  Ultimately, the belief that I hold, along with sf1984 is that you can rebuild (in the sense of getting prospects and draft picks without essentially 'tanking') while remaining a competitive team.

Offline Billy_Muckwalt

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2010, 09:34:08 AM »
No, I think they gave up after that too.
Luongo sucks.

Offline Billy_Muckwalt

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2010, 09:44:56 AM »
Phillips being slow isn't necessarily a problem.  No team out there
has an entire defense core composed of speedsters, and even the defending
cup champions relied heavily upon a pylon on skates (Hal Gill).  The problem is with
Murray building the entire defense corps out of these slow footed defensemen. 
From Richardson, Smith, Commodore, Carkner, and now Sutton, our defense has
gotten too slow and too defensively minded to compete like it needs to. 

Those are pretty obvious points. Hall Gill is 6'7, and plays that way. He wasnt a standout on the D core of the pens either. Murray has the bums eye for D, but the point I am making is that he's lost about 2 gears since 07'
I never said EVERY D-MAN has to be  lightning fast just that I expect more out of a #1 dman.
Im not saying he 'sucks' either.

Where was it implied by him that the Sens are going for a deep playoff run? 
If anything his past posts have indicated that he doesn't believe the Sens are
going to go deep in the playoffs and that the focus should have been on getting
assets in order to rebuild the farm and ensure we don't lose Volchenkov
for nothing, rather than giving away draft picks.  Ultimately, the belief
that I hold, along with sf1984 is that you can rebuild (in the sense of
getting prospects and draft picks without essentially 'tanking') while
remaining a competitive team.

SF84 was implying that rebuilding a playoff team is not required.
I was simply implying that even IF the sens get there, they will be a first round snack.
And yes, the theory is right, if you build through the draft year over year and make a couple deals,
theoretically yeah you dont need to tank. There's just one problem, it's not happening in Ottawa.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 09:56:46 AM by Billy_Muckwalt »
Luongo sucks.

Offline rose

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2010, 09:47:26 AM »
They shouldn't fire Clouston, that's ridiculous. I'm as down on the sens as anyone, but people were talking about him winning the Jack Adams as of 2 weeks ago. 2 weeks does not invalidate an entire year of success.

The defensive breakdowns are very disturbing though. The offense was always streaky, but the one thing the senators did well consistently this year was play tight checking one or two goal games. I thought that was their identity. Ever since the trades... and no I am not hanging it on Cullen or Sutton, but ever since then I don't recognize the system those guys are playing anymore.

And why is Elliot untouchable? How come Leclaire gets pulled 5 minutes in, after 2 goals, but Elliot is left out there for 6? What does Clouston have against him?

:icon_agree:  Firing Clouston should definitely NOT be on the radar of management.  I agree that is ridiculous.  :nod:

As far as the Elliott/Leclaire question.....I think Clouston has decided that Elliott, overall, has "earned" the right to be left in, win or lose, to prepare for the playoffs.  Not saying that I necessarily agree, but it would appear that is the way he is thinking. :smily677:

However, one thing I am convinced of, in terms of Clouston and his coaching decisions....the Heatley effect and the reality that, overall, the only smidgen of reasoning that we ever got of why Heatley wanted to be moved out of Ottawa was due to Clouston's decisions to put him on the 2nd PP unit, the so-called reduced ice time, etc. which seems to have left Clouston a bit shy of benching so-called "stars" (aka as overpaid, under-performing primo dons) for fear of being blamed if anyone complains or, god forbid, asks for a trade out of here due to DES (Damaged Ego Syndrome).  My case in point - or at least the most glaring one for me - is how, although the rest of the team is not exactly 'on fire' (bring back the Dads, please!), Kovalev has gone back into hibernation which took him months to get out of at the beginning of the season!!  His listless, disinterested, careless, lazy play was on full display once again last night.  It's like he just can't be bothered.  For me, Kovalev is currently the main problem on the anaemic, frustrating PP unit.  While it is not working effectively by any stretch of the imagination, it seems to me that it often looks like a 4-on-4 since Kovalev seems incapable of even attempting to try to get open, go to the net, pass the puck once it accidentally lands on his stick or try to keep it in the opponents zone.  When Heatley was 'demoted' to the second PP unit, at least he was still trying to  positionally be in place for a one-timer.  I often have to take a good, long, hard look to see if Kovalev is on the ice and, if he is, whether or not he has drifted off into a coma!  While several players could do with a butt-stapling to the bench, Kovalev would be the first candidate for me and if that didn't rev him up in the least, he would likely prefer to be up in the press box where he could fantasize about flying his plane,  his next trip to Montreal or whatever the hell else he would prefer to concentrate on because it sure looks like he has not given the actual playing of the game a thought since the Olympic break!   :icon_angry2:

Offline PiePants

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2010, 09:49:30 AM »
Those are pretty obvious points. Hall Gill is 6'7, and plays that way.
Murray has the bums eye for D, but the point I am making is that he's lost about 2 gears since 07'
But I guess since everyone else is slow it's ok. I never said t EVERY D-MAN has to be  lightning fast
just that I expect more out of a #1 dman. Im not saying he 'sucks' either.

That's the main problem with this team's situation.  Phillips shouldn't be a #1 dman, especially not on a competitive team, but due to circumstances, he's forced to be on this team.  Even in 07, Phillips was part of our shutdown pair, but back then, Redden was nominally our #1 Dman.

SF84 was implying that rebuilding a playoff team is not required.
I was simply implying that even IF the sens get there, they will be a first round snack.
And yes, the theory is right, if you build through the draft year over year and make a couple deals,
theoretically yeah you dont need to tank. There's just one problem, it's not happening in Ottawa.

Unfortunately  :(

Although would you really want Brian Murray to be leading a complete rebuild?  I know I wouldn't.

Offline rose

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2010, 09:53:14 AM »
Although would you really want Brian Murray to be leading a complete rebuild?  I know I wouldn't.

And, in essence, I am not convinced that a "complete rebuild" here in Ottawa would be financially viable.  A team like Toronto can withstand the time it takes to do so without worrying that their gate receipts would suffer.  As a result, their revenue flow could easily  deal with playing for pride and not to make the playoffs.  Here in Ottawa?  Unfortunately, I doubt it and Murray knows that as he tries to navigate a cap world.  I don't envy him the challenge.

Offline PiePants

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2010, 10:19:08 AM »
Gate receipts would suffer in the short term, however having to rebuild is an eventuality in professional sports, and failing to recognize when the time to rebuild has arrived, simply leads to longer term pain.  If the Leafs had recognized that situation after 05-06 and done a proper rebuild (with competent management), rather than wait until 1.5 years ago to do it, they probably would be a more competitive than Ottawa right now, rather than having to wait another 1-2 years before they get there.  Other franchises have gone through worse than a complete rebuild and are still here today.  The problem here is that I don't think that Ottawa needs a complete rebuild like the Leafs where you completely gut your roster and let kids play, but rather the focus should be on keeping the team competitive, while stockpiling draft picks and prospects who in a few years time will be NHL ready.  Instead, we're giving away draft picks because Murray has himself and the owner convinced that this team is a Stanley Cup contender, which will simply hurt this team in the long term when guys like Alfie, Phillips and Volchenkov are no longer with us, when it doesn't even make the team any more competitive than it was before (and based on the results things have been worse since the trades).