Author Topic: Game #59 Discussion ~ SENS @ Maple Leafs ~ Saturday Feb. 6  (Read 8940 times)

Offline FV

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
Re: Game #59 Discussion ~ SENS @ Maple Leafs ~ Saturday Feb. 6
« Reply #120 on: February 10, 2010, 09:20:56 AM »
The Leafs have had more than a couple of stinkers this year but overall they haven't played all that bad.  It's difficult to play with confidence when you are all over another team for the first 10 minutes and your goalie let's in a ridiculously easy goal.

Toskola was a nightmare.  Gustofsson was better but he's not ready for prime time in my opinion.  Pressure gets to him like the breakdown he had against the Devils.  In another one of those games the Leafs dominated and lost.
Proud member of the P.P.A. since 2008.

Offline OS

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • MacLean is Really Good!
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 10, 2010, 09:33:28 AM »
So you think the Leafs improvement is because they are out of the playoff hunt?  Don't think it helps that they have someone now who can stop the puck on occasion?

The Leafs pattern the last few years has to not get it going until it is to late when the pressure is off and the guys are loosey goosey.   Burke is working hard to change that of course.  I think that effect is part of the current let 'er rip styly, but the roster change is a big factor to.  Giggy has been good, though against Ottawa, he wasn't challenged nearly enough  (shoot Jason shoot!).  If the team played with that much energy in front of previous goalies the Leafs may have won those games to. All goalies go on good runs, so it will take a long time to see if Giggy is the solution - there is a reason he lost the #1 job. 

Right now, it just looks like another dead cat bounce effort, fueled by some big roster changes.   Saturday the Leafs played with passion, the Senators were a bit flat, had so-so goaltending, and the parity in the East is such that you lose those types of games badly.   With Ottawa's defence, the difference between them and Leafs isn't that large.

Offline gared66

• Hall of Fame Inductee
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 10, 2010, 09:49:00 AM »
The one thing I will say about the Leafs is they always score goals and allow a lot of goals. It almost doesn't matter who they have on the team anymore. They could have a bunch of amateurs and they'd still play a style that scores a bunch and allows even more. Yeah, they shut the sens out. But you know what I mean.

I think Burke's recent moves were great. Then again, unless he traded more draft picks away any bold move was a good move. He almost couldn't go wrong. In my mind, getting Guigere was probably better than Phaneuf.

They have way too much money tied up on the blueline now. It's kinda ridiculous. But if they can trade Kaberle and bring in a couple top 6 forwards next year. I think they're a playoff team.

This is the first time in years I think the Leafs are actually headed in the right direction. But Burke never shoulda traded two 1st's for Kessel. There's only a half dozen players in the NHL worth that and Kessel isn't one of them. If things don't go right he'll never live it down.

Offline FV

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 10, 2010, 11:08:06 PM »
Doesn't really belong here but it goes with the conversation.  This Toskola article is funny....and true.

http://www.downgoesbrown.com/

And OS I liked your post and agree somewhat but I don't think that this year, they are just loose because of where they are in the standings.  I really don't think they have been that bad.  Toskala was just really, friggin' horrible this year.  Like I said, when you take 10 shots on net and the other teaam flicks the puck into you end and it goes in, it really hurts a teams confidence.

Hey, as Sens fans we know what crap goaltending can do.  It will kill you.

To be honest, this is the most optimistic I've been as a Leaf fan since '93.  Burke is on the right track.  They will be pretty competitive in 2 years.

Offline OS

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • MacLean is Really Good!
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 11, 2010, 12:21:47 AM »
Doesn't really belong here but it goes with the conversation.  This Toskola article is funny....and true.

http://www.downgoesbrown.com/

And OS I liked your post and agree somewhat but I don't think that this year, they are just loose because of where they are in the standings.  I really don't think they have been that bad.  Toskala was just really, friggin' horrible this year.  Like I said, when you take 10 shots on net and the other teaam flicks the puck into you end and it goes in, it really hurts a teams confidence.

Hey, as Sens fans we know what crap goaltending can do.  It will kill you.

To be honest, this is the most optimistic I've been as a Leaf fan since '93.  Burke is on the right track.  They will be pretty competitive in 2 years.

No shock I'm sure, but I haven't watched a lot of Toskala's games this season  :smily1263:   Glad you are feeling it though.  In general, I'm just getting a bit of deja vu, as this is similar to the vibe from the pre-season where the Leafs were going to run everyone out of the rink, and teams would be afraid to play them and the playoffs were looking so possible.  All fan bases get overly optimistic and pessimistic, but I think with the size of the Leaf fan base they carry it from one manic swing to the next more than others.   So right now I am resisting the flow and taking a Missouri stance - show me where things are at half way through next season and this isn't just another to late run like the last couple of years.  Everything is swell when the Ws are on the board, but when it gets tougher will be a test.  If Kessell gets hurt and the Bruins get a top 3 pick, I'll buy the kool-aid.   

Offline FV

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 11, 2010, 08:23:28 AM »
You make some valid points but I can't help thinking that it's also just a convenient way for you to justify not giving them any credit for anything they do from here on in.  They could win every game to close out the season and it will all be because they are "loosey goosey"?  The fact it coincided with the removal of a quarter of the team has nothing to do with it?

If they continue to improve the rest of this year they will definitely have restored my faith in them moving forward.  In Burke we trust.