Author Topic: World Cup Soccer  (Read 22461 times)

Offline BlindDruid

• Administrator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
World Cup Soccer
« on: June 01, 2010, 07:50:34 AM »
The tournament starts in a few days and looks like Spain are the odds on favorites to win it all.  I am looking forward to following the action and I have a sneaking suspicion that a small eastern European country like Slovakia will have a breakout tournament and threaten for the big prize.  Should be interesting.
Time passes, things change, the Sens WILL WIN the CUP. 
edit -  Hopefully within my lifetime.......

Offline Jasonf6

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • The good 'ol days
    • View Profile
Re: World Cup Soccer
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 09:16:27 AM »
 :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping:

:mrgreen: :icon_hiding2:

Offline rose

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 09:19:37 AM »
It will likely be on here since all my kids have played soccer over the years and they tend to watch with their (formerly for the most part) soccer playing friends.  Only one of my kids still plays in a women's recreational team and it's strictly for fun (she plays competitive rugby still ..... and that's 'fun' for her but grueling).  I don't have a great deal of interest - never have - but I will likely end up rooting for someone as the tournament winds on. 
"If you can't make up your mind, 'What the hell' is usually the right answer."  Ellen Reid Smith

Offline OS

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • MacLean is Really Good!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 01:02:58 PM »
I never played soccer but having been pulled in to coaching for the last dozen years, I have a much great appreciation for what the players are doing and understand it a lot more.   So I've gone from not watching to enjoying the games. 

Offline Special J

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010, 01:03:26 PM »
Italy looks like they're in good form to defend their title.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRO626ImQek

I'll be watching but there's no horse I'm backing.  Besides, if there's any chance of it happening, I don't want to miss an epic moment like this:

I just looked at the list of countries that are in this year.  North Korea?!? WTH Canada!?  We can't get in yet somehow they found a way?  Hang your heads in shame.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 01:25:19 PM by Special J »
"Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true." - Homer Simpson

Offline Jasonf6

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • The good 'ol days
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2010, 09:39:41 PM »

I'll be watching but there's no horse I'm backing.  Besides, if there's any chance of it happening, I don't want to miss an epic moment like this:

I just looked at the list of countries that are in this year.  North Korea?!? WTH Canada!?  We can't get in yet somehow they found a way?  Hang your heads in shame.

:A_laughing_matter: :A_laughing_matter:

I keep seeing that Zidane clip and wondering just how a small head-butt can cause a grown man to drop to the ground and curl up like he was shot...and then I remember it's soccer and they have perfected overacting. 

Offline rose

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2010, 09:55:50 PM »

I keep seeing that Zidane clip and wondering just how a small head-butt can cause a grown man to drop to the ground and curl up like he was shot...and then I remember it's soccer and they have perfected overacting. 

I don't know.....I wouldn't want Tie Domi head-butting me and Zidane looks (and acts) like his head might be solid like a bowling ball too!   ;)
"If you can't make up your mind, 'What the hell' is usually the right answer."  Ellen Reid Smith

Offline Special J

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2010, 10:14:29 PM »

Oh I take my shot at them over the play acting, but I disagree here. Zidane got him good, and you can bet he didn't expect that.  :thumbsup:
"Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true." - Homer Simpson

Offline Jasonf6

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • The good 'ol days
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2010, 10:25:04 PM »
Oh I take my shot at them over the play acting, but I disagree here. Zidane got him good, and you can bet he didn't expect that.  :thumbsup:

Nah, as he was falling his face was in full grimace and he definitely overacted.  It might hurt sure but not the way he was going on.  Plus, unless I see bone, every guy rolling on the ground is embellishing. :)

Offline OS

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2010, 11:44:10 PM »
Nah, as he was falling his face was in full grimace and he definitely overacted.  It might hurt sure but not the way he was going on.  Plus, unless I see bone, every guy rolling on the ground is embellishing. :)

The problem is that with so much BS faking, unless you see bone, blood or both, you dismiss it.   I want what is in the magic healing spray all the trainers seem to have - one minute a guy needs a stretcher to come of the field, the trainer sprays the spot on the shin/thigh/arm, and he's back out there a minute later.

Offline FV

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2010, 07:25:47 AM »

I thought it was one of the most selfish acts I've ever seen in pro sports.
Proud member of the P.P.A. since 2008.

Offline Special J

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2010, 09:20:00 AM »
I thought it was one of the most selfish acts I've ever seen in pro sports.

Incredibly so.  If it was my team I would go absolutely bonkers.  But my team is never there, so I can just revel in it's awesomeness.

France had to be kind of torn though, Zidane singlehandedly won them a World Cup and lost them one.  Though the French coach didn't help them much either.

Offline FBK

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2010, 04:45:08 AM »

This was the worst part of 2006 world cup. I was watching it live and I was really sad when Zidane (my favorite at the time)
was given a red card.

Anyways I am cheering for Spain and Argentine. Soccor is my second favorite sport. I play soccer better than I play hockey :D
RAP AND HIP-HOP FOR LIFE

Offline Johnny English

• Future Hall of Famer
  • Canadian Heroine
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2010, 11:50:39 AM »
Materazzi is a *****, but he's a big tough one. No doubt he was play acting, but it's the World Cup Final - if the opposition's star player puts the nut on you, then you go down.

Spain are a decent side, but I expect Brazil to win it again.
We all dream of a team of Chris Kellys.

Offline FBK

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2010, 10:41:03 PM »
materazzi comes over here, the locals are going boo him. Everyone hates him here. He is going to be here in december 2010(because of the club world cup)
RAP AND HIP-HOP FOR LIFE

Offline Sugar J.Hyde

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • Go blow yourself up
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2010, 03:13:10 PM »
Go England, I guess.

Offline PHJ314

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2010, 03:58:27 PM »
Netherlands!! Seems like they're one of the only teams I can stand to watch. The play offensive all game long.
Friends don't let Friends cheer for the Maple Leafs!!

Offline Jasonf6

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • The good 'ol days
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2010, 11:56:28 AM »
What a big surprise, violence and stampedes at the World Cup.  :shake:

Offline FBK

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2010, 08:34:42 AM »
Netherlands!! Seems like they're one of the only teams I can stand to watch. The play offensive all game long.
Too bad. Robben is injured
RAP AND HIP-HOP FOR LIFE

Offline OS

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2010, 11:06:30 AM »
Doesn't matter, Netherlands is always overhyped and under delivers.