Author Topic: Lebron and his hour long special??  (Read 7821 times)

Offline Canuck28

• NHL Veteran
    • View Profile
Lebron and his hour long special??
« on: July 08, 2010, 05:58:29 PM »

Why does a guy need an hour long special on ESPN and TSN to announce where he is going to play,  If I were a part of that team the ego alone would scare me lol   

Offline FBK

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
Re: Lebron and his hour long special??
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 09:29:07 PM »
Guess he is joining bosh and Wade.  They are going to win the NBA championship
RAP AND HIP-HOP FOR LIFE

Offline Special J

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 10:03:20 PM »
Why does a guy need an hour long special on ESPN and TSN to announce where he is going to play,  If I were a part of that team the ego alone would scare me lol  

This is probably more the brainchild of ESPN than anything else.  Can you think of anything they could put on that would have more viewers?
"Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true." - Homer Simpson

Offline Canuck28

• NHL Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 07:30:13 AM »
This is probably more the brainchild of ESPN than anything else.  Can you think of anything they could put on that would have more viewers?

Yea your right there!!!   Like FBK said The Heat are looking good for a championship!

Offline BlindDruid

• Administrator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010, 07:37:15 AM »
I just love Dan Gilberts scathing reaction to James leaving Cleveland

http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/07/08/dan-gilbert-blasts-lebron-james-cowardly-betrayal-in-letter-t/
Time passes, things change, the Sens WILL WIN the CUP. 
edit -  Hopefully within my lifetime.......

Offline FV

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010, 07:37:57 AM »
The third world countries are about to become inundated with "Welcome, Lebron!" T-Shirts with Nets, Bulls and Knicks logos on them.  
Proud member of the P.P.A. since 2008.

Offline OS

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • MacLean is Really Good!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2010, 08:38:31 AM »
James played in Cleveland for 7 years, so I have no problem with him leavinjg as a UFA.  It isn't a betrayal, and he was in Cleveland because they won the draft lottery. 

But the sheer crud around his leaving and announcement is  :icon_vomit:  The Cavs owner nalied it: 

"This was announced with a several day, narcissistic, self-promotional build-up culminating with a national TV special of his "decision" unlike anything ever "witnessed" in the history of sports and probably the history of entertainment."

Have to grow that LeBron James brand name.

Offline Jasonf6

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • The good 'ol days
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2010, 08:44:40 AM »
 :icon_agree:

Not that I ever watch Basketball but I hope to hell that Miami doesn't win a championship for as long as Bosh and James are on the team, either together or separately.

Offline rose

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2010, 08:49:54 AM »
James played in Cleveland for 7 years, so I have no problem with him leavinjg as a UFA.  It isn't a betrayal, and he was in Cleveland because they won the draft lottery. 

But the sheer crud around his leaving and announcement is  :icon_vomit:  The Cavs owner nalied it: 

"This was announced with a several day, narcissistic, self-promotional build-up culminating with a national TV special of his "decision" unlike anything ever "witnessed" in the history of sports and probably the history of entertainment."

Have to grow that LeBron James brand name.

Yep...the owner nailed it!  To be honest, I was a little surprised at the level of narcissism displayed by James et al.  And I was also surprised to read that ESPN initially was good with a thirty minute presentation but were talked into the full hour by the James' camp.  I sure hope that little display of "Look At Me!!!" does not become the norm.  I didn't turn it on last night (I just don't care enough) but it would annoy the h*ll out of me if other sports stars started this nonsense too!
"If you can't make up your mind, 'What the hell' is usually the right answer."  Ellen Reid Smith

Offline OS

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • MacLean is Really Good!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2010, 09:06:10 AM »
And I was also surprised to read that ESPN initially was good with a thirty minute presentation but were talked into the full hour by the James' camp.

Really, Wow!   I thought it was mainly ESPN driving it, albiet with a very willing partner.   How about waiting until you win the whole thing once or twice.

Offline rose

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2010, 09:14:25 AM »
Really, Wow!   I thought it was mainly ESPN driving it, albiet with a very willing partner.   How about waiting until you win the whole thing once or twice.

^^Exactly!  A few of the sponsors - Microsoft being one - donated to the Boys and Girls Club of America for their spots during the broadcast (matching funds or something like that) so, at least, someone other than James benefitted from the exposure.  But, really, just a real display of nauseating self-promotion for me.  Sheeeesh!  Surprised he didn't hand a rose to the chosen team owner!   :duh
"If you can't make up your mind, 'What the hell' is usually the right answer."  Ellen Reid Smith

Offline Special J

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2010, 09:40:46 AM »
The third world countries are about to become inundated with "Welcome, Lebron!" T-Shirts with Nets, Bulls and Knicks logos on them.  

LOL!  It's good thing too.  Those Patriot 19-0 T-shirts must be running out by now.

Yes, it was shameless self-promotion, that ESPN was an equal partner in so I don't buy they acquiesced to demands he get a full hour.  But this is the NBA; More than any other league it is driven by it's stars.

Not saying its ok.  Just that the NBA has always embraced hyping up individuals.  They gave people what they wanted.
"Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true." - Homer Simpson

Offline FV

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2010, 09:45:05 AM »
Here are Lebrons lastest Tweets.  The boys got an ego. 

What's up yall. Just landed in my new home. Thanks to all the fans and Miami organization who greeted me. The Road to History starts now!

Good Morning! It's your chance to ask me a question about my decision, use #lebrondecision to submit and I'll answer them tonight.

Check http://bit.ly/apxlxx (lebronjames.com) for updated info on my decision.

Offline BlindDruid

• Administrator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2010, 11:06:04 AM »
I have to wonder if all those egos will be able to work and play together successfully.  How may times have we seen a hockey club try to buy a Stanley Cup only to find failure in the end.

Time passes, things change, the Sens WILL WIN the CUP. 
edit -  Hopefully within my lifetime.......

Offline FV

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2010, 11:13:36 AM »
It's one of those "where were you?" moments in life.  JFK assassination, Lennon murder, 9/11.  Now we can add "the Decision" to the stories we can tell our grandchilden about.    :shake:

Offline rose

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2010, 11:31:58 AM »
I have to wonder if all those egos will be able to work and play together successfully.  How may times have we seen a hockey club try to buy a Stanley Cup only to find failure in the end.

Yep ^^  :nod:.  My son's friends were on the same lines last night.  One had said something like "Yeah..watch one of them rip his achilles early in the season and require surgery"  and another responded "Wonder if that will happen before one of them needs surgery for a terminally bruised ego?" .  These 19 year olds did not watch the announcement either.  :shake:

Offline FBK

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2010, 11:43:45 AM »
I just love Dan Gilberts scathing reaction to James leaving Cleveland

http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/07/08/dan-gilbert-blasts-lebron-james-cowardly-betrayal-in-letter-t/

:laugh2:

He seems like an Idiot. James' actions weren't actions of a coward. He was drafted by Cleveland. Played 7 years with them. He won 2 MVP awards and right now he is the best Basketball player. The cavs suck. They are not helping him win the championship. Every player wants a ring. And he is going to find his.
RAP AND HIP-HOP FOR LIFE

Offline butterfly_style

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • The Puck Stops Here
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2010, 01:05:28 PM »
:laugh2:

He seems like an Idiot. James' actions weren't actions of a coward. He was drafted by Cleveland. Played 7 years with them. He won 2 MVP awards and right now he is the best Basketball player. The cavs suck. They are not helping him win the championship. Every player wants a ring. And he is going to find his.
Lebron has every right to do just that.
However, to call a new conference just boost your already inflated ego , s what everyone is upset about.
I don't care about basketball in the least, but I hope Lebron falls flat on his face !!

Offline PHJ314

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2010, 02:08:22 PM »
Jordan, Bird and Magic all did it in the cities they gor drafted from.

Why did Lebron have to go join another team to win....shouldn't he be the one saying..."COME HERE AND LETS WIN". I'm sure the Cavs would have figured out a way to get Bosh and Wade had Lebron said that's the way it had to be.

But no....the narcisst had to fly the coop....for sunny south Beach...guaranteed the way of life played the biggest factor. Cleveland VS Miami, I mean common......yeah....easy choice.

Still a douche for bailing on the cavs.

To each his own I suppose.

TSN and ESPN are worse off for granting this jerk his hour in primetime.

Friends don't let Friends cheer for the Maple Leafs!!

Offline FV

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2010, 02:23:12 PM »
I lose a little respect for players that chase championships (i.e. Hossa).  Personally, I'm way more impressed with a player who hangs in and builds a winner out of the team he got drafted by.  It really lessons the accomplishment in my eyes if James goes on to win a championship.

That being said though, he was a free agent so he fulfilled his contractual obligation.

He's still a major douche though.

And the Cavs owner made some good points but overall the whole letter was really unprofessional.  As JE would say, he sounded like a 12 year old girl.