Author Topic: Henry joins New York red bulls  (Read 2270 times)

Offline FBK

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
Henry joins New York red bulls
« on: July 14, 2010, 11:11:16 AM »
http://www.tsn.ca/soccer/story/?id=327469

I don't think this is a good idea. He scored 4 goals in Barcelona when he was playing with the worlds best play-makers. If anyone saw how he played in the world cup, he would know that this is a bad idea. He was given so many chances to score but he always missed them.

I wish him the best of luck. Hopefully he finds his way in NYC.
RAP AND HIP-HOP FOR LIFE

Offline Johnny English

• Future Hall of Famer
  • Canadian Heroine
    • View Profile
Re: Henry joins New York red bulls
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 01:51:12 PM »
Except you're missing the key point that he was also playing against the world's best defenders at Barca, and he was also getting splinters in his arse from spending so much time on the bench; they weren't exactly short of attacking options.

Based on what I've seen of the MLS he'll do all right; his biggest problem is that he'll have to change his game slightly, as his ridiculous pace probably isn't quite what it was and athleticism is one thing that the MLS does do well. With his experience he'll be a key player, and he'll bring in fans.
We all dream of a team of Chris Kellys.

Offline Special J

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 11:05:10 PM »
I hope he works out better than Beckham.  Is it too late to bring over Zidane?  That is someone I would go see, even old and broken down.
"Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true." - Homer Simpson

Offline FV

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 11:37:24 PM »
I remember my Dad taking me to see Pele and Hans Beckenbauer playing against the Toronto Metro.  Pretty cool to see the greats even when they're at the end of their careers.  My Dad actually knew Stanley Matthews pretty good (Dad's a big soccer guy, but that's a story for another time).     
Proud member of the P.P.A. since 2008.

Offline Johnny English

• Future Hall of Famer
  • Canadian Heroine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 10:51:43 AM »
I hope he works out better than Beckham.  Is it too late to bring over Zidane?  That is someone I would go see, even old and broken down.

'Fraid so, he's been retired a good four years now. He was an incredible player, probably the best I've ever seen play in the flesh. It's a shame that his last act as a professional footballer was to be sent off for that ridiculous headbutt.

I remember my Dad taking me to see Pele and Hans Beckenbauer playing against the Toronto Metro.  Pretty cool to see the greats even when they're at the end of their careers.  My Dad actually knew Stanley Matthews pretty good (Dad's a big soccer guy, but that's a story for another time).    

Franz Beckenbauer, not Hans. I'm very jealous, I would have loved to have seen Der Kaiser play; players like Pele, Maradona and Cruyff got the plaudits for their incredible individual skill, but none of them had such a colossal impact upon the way the game is played as Beckenbauer did. He pretty much invented the role of the libero.
We all dream of a team of Chris Kellys.

Offline FV

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 11:51:34 AM »
He did all that and this Canucklehead can't even get his name straight.   :laugh2:
Proud member of the P.P.A. since 2008.

Offline sensfan1984

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2010, 03:51:36 PM »
As an FC Barcelona fan, I've watched his every game since his move from EPL. I think Henry still has the legs to perform well in MLS. In my eyes (and pretty well any Barca fan), he's been a noshow and a massive disappointment. However, he's been used improperly and never quite fit in Barca's system.

I wish him the best of luck, specially after all the criticism after the handball. It is such a disgrace that an EPL legend like Henry has been treated with such disrespect.

Offline FBK

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2010, 06:19:19 PM »
Henry's first goal was actually pretty good. 

As for zidane returning to socccer, I doubt he will. But I think he still can play. He is probably better than anyone on the Toronto FC team.
RAP AND HIP-HOP FOR LIFE