Author Topic: 2010 Fiba world championship  (Read 3855 times)

Offline FBK

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
2010 Fiba world championship
« on: August 06, 2010, 01:27:10 AM »
Its gonna start in the end of the month. I know not many people care about it but it is the biggest international basketball event.

If only steve nash wasn't an idiot and he agreed to play for The Canadian national team, I would have went for Canada. But since he isn't, I guess I will be going for The United states of America :D

Imagine Spain wins again :D

BTW its going to take place in turkey (not much of a basketball country).

So who are you guys going for?
RAP AND HIP-HOP FOR LIFE

Offline work2play

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
    • Petition Spot - CBC is for all Canadians
Re: 2010 Fiba world championship
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 11:39:39 AM »
I'll be cheering for Canada, Nash or no Nash. 

I'm not a big basketball fan (mostly because it conflicts with hockey season), but I do enjoy this tournament when I get a chance to see it.  In any sport I enjoy watching players get the chance to represent their country.  While Turkey may not be that big on basketball, sometimes hosting a tournament like this can get more kids interested in playing the game and help grow the sport in the host nation.

Is the tournament schedule available anywhere yet?
Lost your job yet?  Keep buying foreign!

Offline FBK

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 11:52:30 PM »
Yea its available in Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_FIBA_World_Championship

Believe it or not, Canada is one of the worst teams going into the tournament. Canada is going to be my no:3 team though.
RAP AND HIP-HOP FOR LIFE

Offline rose

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010, 02:32:18 AM »
^^I'd believe it.  Basketball is not played by a ton of players in this country.  It's popular in high school sports programmes and at university level but, overall, there are several sports more popular than basketball at the youth level.
"If you can't make up your mind, 'What the hell' is usually the right answer."  Ellen Reid Smith

Offline work2play

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 06:04:08 PM »
Yea its available in Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_FIBA_World_Championship

Believe it or not, Canada is one of the worst teams going into the tournament. Canada is going to be my no:3 team though.
Thanks for this. 

I noticed at the bottom they list which TV networks hold the FIBA broadcast rights for various countries, but no mention of Canada. 

Will the tournament not be broadcast here?

Offline FBK

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 12:36:14 PM »
^^I'd believe it.  Basketball is not played by a ton of players in this country.  It's popular in high school sports programmes and at university level but, overall, there are several sports more popular than basketball at the youth level.

I know that but its funny how the Canadians made the game and then they are not good in it.
RAP AND HIP-HOP FOR LIFE

Offline rose

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2010, 12:03:22 AM »
I know that but its funny how the Canadians made the game and then they are not good in it.

A Canadian invented the game while he was teaching in the US, if I'm  not mistaken. 
"If you can't make up your mind, 'What the hell' is usually the right answer."  Ellen Reid Smith

Offline playertobenamedlater

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2010, 07:25:40 AM »
A Canadian invented the game while he was teaching in the US, if I'm  not mistaken. 

The game of basketball was invented in Almonte, Ontario, Canada by Dr. James Nasmith (sp?). It was popularized in the U.S. when he was teaching there, which is why Americans claim basketball as their own sport.
A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice Chianti.

Offline rose

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2010, 09:19:54 AM »
Naismith....but close enough. ;)

Offline FBK

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2010, 12:30:45 PM »
Why didn't he teach it in Canada?
RAP AND HIP-HOP FOR LIFE

Offline rose

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2010, 03:32:23 PM »
Why didn't he teach it in Canada?

He was a professor in the USA.  Not sure that he taught in Canada during his career.

Offline FBK

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2010, 11:30:00 AM »
Canada has been embarrassed in the Fiba worlds. This time they ended up being winless, the worst record in the whole championship. No one else in their group was winless. Like a said before I am going with team USA and now my second team is Brazil.
RAP AND HIP-HOP FOR LIFE

Offline FBK

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2010, 04:30:20 PM »
I never thought Turkey was so good. They played really well against France and they haven't lost a game yet. They might make it to the top 4. I actually wouldn't be so surprised!
RAP AND HIP-HOP FOR LIFE

Offline work2play

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2010, 04:31:40 PM »
The game of basketball was invented in Almonte, Ontario, Canada by Dr. James Nasmith (sp?). It was popularized in the U.S. when he was teaching there, which is why Americans claim basketball as their own sport.

Not true.  Dr. Naismith was born in Almonte, Ontario, but he never taught there.  After graduating from McGill University he taught at McGill until 1890.  He invented basketball in 1891 while teaching at Springfield College (then a YMCA training center) in Springfield, Massachusetts.  The first formal rules for the game of basketball were written in 1892.

As for Canadians not being good at the sport invented by one of their own, that has not always been true.  A women's  team called the Edmonton Grads was dominant in the sport in it's early days.  The Grads still hold the North American record for best winning percentage by a sports team (even though they were disbanded in 1940).

Anyone interested in such bits of Canadiana should buy Robert Livesey's book "Footprints in the Snow".   It contains a number of short stories which correct the myths surrounding many of Canada's heros and heroines.

To bad Canada didn't fare better at this years FIBA tournament, maybe next time.

Offline FBK

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2010, 07:48:15 PM »
Did anyone watch the Argentina/Brazil game? It was crazy. It was another tight loss by the brazilians. But they both played really well. Maybe next time for Brazil. Canada is not going to be any better next time. Their good players (if you call them that) are getting old and from what I know they don't have any bright prospects right now.
RAP AND HIP-HOP FOR LIFE

Offline playertobenamedlater

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2010, 07:51:30 PM »
Not true.  Dr. Naismith was born in Almonte, Ontario, but he never taught there.  After graduating from McGill University he taught at McGill until 1890.  He invented basketball in 1891 while teaching at Springfield College (then a YMCA training center) in Springfield, Massachusetts.  The first formal rules for the game of basketball were written in 1892.

As for Canadians not being good at the sport invented by one of their own, that has not always been true.  A women's  team called the Edmonton Grads was dominant in the sport in it's early days.  The Grads still hold the North American record for best winning percentage by a sports team (even though they were disbanded in 1940).

Anyone interested in such bits of Canadiana should buy Robert Livesey's book "Footprints in the Snow".   It contains a number of short stories which correct the myths surrounding many of Canada's heros and heroines.

To bad Canada didn't fare better at this years FIBA tournament, maybe next time.

Double check my post that you quoted. I never claimed that he tought in Almonte. Although the rules of the game were officially written in 1892, he had been working on developing the game long before that, while still living in Canada.
A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice Chianti.

Offline FBK

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2010, 08:16:06 AM »
So it was USA that won the Championship but turkey became second. I didn't think they would make it this far though. They got a little lucky by winning by one point against Serbia. It was quite obvious that USA was gonna win the finals
RAP AND HIP-HOP FOR LIFE