Author Topic: Binghamton Senators 2010-2011 Season Thread  (Read 15859 times)

Offline Metalhawk

• Head-Bangin'-
  • Administrator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • Some Heads Are Gonna Roll!!!
    • View Profile
Binghamton Senators 2010-2011 Season Thread
« on: October 17, 2010, 06:05:55 PM »
I figured this deserves a thread of its own, and hopefully Classmate (or anyone else that follows the team closely) can keep us up to date on what's going on in Bingo land.

I watched the game on CBC against the Marlies, and Brust seems to be doing quite well for the 5th goalie in the organization. Of the high profile players, O'Brien, Greening and Locke had a good game, while Weircioch, Butler and Wick were basically invisible. Hale seemed to be the solid, stay at home d-man (and got away with a nasty hit from behind) whiile Shirra and Kinrade seemed to be reliable but not great.

And what's with that Mueller kid for the Marlies. Good on him for sticking up for his teammate after the Hale hit, but someone should tell him that you're supposed to drop your gloves when in a fight. And that's supposed to be a penalty, if I'm not mistaking. :shake:
"A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove that you donít need it"

Offline Sugar J.Hyde

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • Go blow yourself up
    • View Profile
Re: Binghamton Senators 2010-2011 Season Thread
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 10:11:27 AM »
I just did a quick Stats search for the Bingo boys and if you put much stock into stats it looks like Bobby Butler is having a pretty good start to the year.  Three goals and two assists in five games.  On the other hand, Roman Wick is 0 g, 0 A and a -4 through five games.

Offline FBK

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2010, 08:47:24 AM »
Lehner played a game so far but he allowed 7 goals. I didn't watch the game or anything but on paper, it looks really bad lol.
RAP AND HIP-HOP FOR LIFE

Offline classmate

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2010, 12:06:00 PM »
Lehner played a game so far but he allowed 7 goals. I didn't watch the game or anything but on paper, it looks really bad lol.

He couldn't stop anything and even the coach said, "He didn't give the team a chance to win."

B-Sens are back in town again..... FINALLY.  They had a pretty successful road "tour" earning 5 out of 8 points.   I look forward to this weekends games.  Brodeur is still out with a concussion so we are going with the #5 goalie in the Ottawa system, Barry Brust.  He actually is doing pretty well for being so low on the totem pole.  Bass is also out and has only played a couple games so far this season.  He has an upper body injury.

Offline Metalhawk

• Head-Bangin'-
  • Administrator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2010, 02:18:53 PM »
Bass hasn't been the same since injuring his shoulder in a fight last time he was with the big club.
"A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove that you donít need it"

Offline classmate

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2010, 11:43:39 AM »
Last nights game against the Charlotte Checkers, (formally the Albany River Rats) the Carolina farm team ended up being a decent game.  After a very lackluster first period that had shots on goal 15-14 in favor of the Checkers but the Checkers had a 2 -0 lead.  The last 2 periods featured a different B-Sens team then the first period.  When all was said and done with just 15.5 seconds on the clock and an extra attacker for the checkers, they score to tie it up, 3-3.  UGH!  We have seen this scenario way too often.  But this would have a different turn when with just over a minute left on the clock, Bobby Butler gets the OT goal to win the game.  Final shots on goal were 49 sog for the B-Sens and 33 sog for the Checkers.  That right there shows, IMHO, that Justin Pogge was the better goalie, but couldn't get the win.  Not to take anything away from the B-Sens who was skating circles around the Checkers in the last 45 minutes or so of the game.  Roman Wick was called out in the local paper by the coach a couple days ago, (Kleinendorst said he (Wick) watched most of the last game from the bench but next time, it would be from the stands.....)  Seems Wick took it to heart and started doing as he was told in practice/games.  He is talented that's for sure but one goal that stood out the most to me was by Eric Condra.  from a local reporter "19:47 - Condra just got loose on a breakaway, got stopped, grabbed the puck off the bounce on the boards and held up for a trailer, but never got one. So he took another shot of his own, this time beating Pogge up high. Nifty goal and a great individual effort by Condra."   I almost hate telling you guys who is doing well down here because the way the "big" team is doing, they may not be here long.    :icon_hiding2:   Actually I really do wish them all the chance to play in the NHL. 

On a side note, Jared Staal was playing for the Checkers last night.  Not really that impressive with what I saw. 
Tonight's game is against the same team and I promise I won't be so wordy from now on.

Scoring by Ryan Keller, Corey Locke, Eric Condra and OT goal by Bobby Butler.

Offline Metalhawk

• Head-Bangin'-
  • Administrator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2010, 02:01:27 PM »
Please, be as wordy as you like. Many of us like to read about the Bingo Sens.

Offline gosensgo101

• Hall of Fame Inductee
  • So long Fish & Kells
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2010, 03:13:15 PM »
Please, be as wordy as you like. Many of us like to read about the Bingo Sens.
Yup, wordy is good.

Offline classmate

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2010, 09:58:17 AM »
Last night the B-Sens won a decisive win (7-3) over the last place Adirondack Phantoms.  (Philly farm team)  The Phantoms signed Denis Hamel last week to a PTO and after just two games; Denis is tied for the 4th top scorer on that team with 3 goals.  Yea, doesnít say much for the Phantoms does it?  Denis received a warm round of applause when his name was announced as he is still well respected after playing 6 years in Binghamton.  But thatís not what you are here to read about now is it.  

Roman Wick got his first AHL point, and Mike Hoffman got his first professional goal which was nice to see.  However, it seems like most of the team got at least one point last night. 

Locke: 1 G, 3 A
Butler: 1 G, 2 A
Greening: 1 G, 2 A
Keller: 2 G
Daugavins: 2 A
Hoffman: 1 G
Schira: 1 G
Wick: 1 A
Gryba: 1 A
Benoit: 1 A
Derek Smith: 1 A

Defensemen   Gryba and Geoff Kinrade was +3 for the night.

Fourth-line wingers Jason Bailey and Francis Lessard were the only minuses for the B-Sens, both at -1.

The game was arguably the best so far for Gryba. Some nice checks, blocks and of course the assist.   

Barry Brust was in goal again for the senators and earned HIS 6th straight win for the team.   

Tonight the B-Sens play again, this time against Syracuse (Ducks farm team) with Robin Lehner scheduled to be in goal.   Yes this is their third game in less then 36 hours.   :fear:   Letís see if Robin can impress me more tonight then he did his last game played here.   :popcorn:

Offline Metalhawk

• Head-Bangin'-
  • Administrator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2010, 11:15:08 AM »
How come Gryba wasn't in the lineup for a while? Was he hurt or simply a scratch?

Offline classmate

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2010, 02:49:41 PM »
How come Gryba wasn't in the lineup for a while? Was he hurt or simply a scratch?

He was a scratch.

Offline Metalhawk

• Head-Bangin'-
  • Administrator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2010, 06:27:15 PM »
He was a scratch.

Why? I may not be able to follow Bingo as much as I'd like, but I'm pretty sure Gryba is above Schira and Kinrade on the depth chart.

Offline classmate

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2010, 10:19:07 PM »
Why? I may not be able to follow Bingo as much as I'd like, but I'm pretty sure Gryba is above Schira and Kinrade on the depth chart.

Maybe but he wasn't playing better then them at the time.  He is a big guy but doesn't seem to always use his size to his benefit.  So far I would have to say that Kinrade and Schira are both better players. 

Offline Metalhawk

• Head-Bangin'-
  • Administrator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2010, 10:40:20 PM »
Gryba likely suffers from the same as many NCAA players who make the jump to the AHL. He goes from a skill-oriented only league to a feisty, physical one. And since he's no puck-moving d-man, the only way Gryba will become an NHL player is if he develops his game along the same lines as Volchenkov. Shot blocking and physical play.

Offline FBK

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2010, 10:27:17 AM »
He was a scratch.
Wow he can't even play on the bingo roster and we were thinking that he can make the NHL this year.  BTW why isn't cowen playing in the AHL
RAP AND HIP-HOP FOR LIFE

Offline Small Town

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2010, 01:22:14 PM »
Cowan is still junior eligible and, as agreed-to between the CHL and the NHL, if he does not make the NHL he must return to juniors. 
It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

Offline Metalhawk

• Head-Bangin'-
  • Administrator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2010, 01:24:07 PM »
BTW why isn't cowen playing in the AHL

Age. You have to turn 20 in the current calendar year to be able to play in the AHL. Since he doesn't turn 20 until January 25, 2011, it was either the NHL or junior.

Offline classmate

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2010, 01:36:47 PM »
Age. You have to turn 20 in the current calendar year to be able to play in the AHL. Since he doesn't turn 20 until January 25, 2011, it was either the NHL or junior.

Isn't Lehner like 19?  Did he play overseas is that why?

Oh wait, maybe he is turning 20 this calendar year?

Offline classmate

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2010, 01:53:09 PM »
On Sunday, November 7 Bobby Butler scored his first professional hat trick.  Jim O'Brien scored two goals and the team was pulling for him to get the hat trick too but to no avail.  Like I mentioned in another thread, Robin Lehner got his first pro shut-out with a 5-0 win against Syracuse.  The top two lines of
Colin Greening-Corey Locke-Bobby Butler  and
Roman Wick-Jim O'Brien-Erik Condra
have been on fire lately.  Jim O'Brien was hardly noticable last season. Ottawa told him what to work on over the summer and apparently he did just what they said because he sure looks like a different player this season so far anyway.  Corey Locke, the leader in points on the B-Sens and second in the entire AHL, said since they put Colin Greening with him and Butler, the chemistry seems to really be working.  Greening is pretty good on the forecheck and is able to turn a lot of pucks over with Butler and Locke just waiting for it. 

My over all opinion after just a month of the season gone by is that this is a young team but they are working hard and are starting to gel.  If they can keep this pace up and the goalies keep helping like they have, they may just be a team to watch this season. 

Mike Brodeur came back from a weekend in Elmira, where he only played a partial game and allowed 4 goals on 16 shots, with a set back from the concussion he received on opening day.  No telling when he will be back in goal but Barry Brust is more then capable of keeping up with the pace with Lehner thrown in there for good measure. 

Next game is tomorrow night (Wednesday).  Here's hoping for another win.   :ccclapping:

Offline Metalhawk

• Head-Bangin'-
  • Administrator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2010, 01:54:32 PM »
Isn't Lehner like 19?  Did he play overseas is that why?

Oh wait, maybe he is turning 20 this calendar year?

I should have mentioned that the age thing only applies to North American players, not Europeans. As smalltown mentioned, it's so that junior/college teams don't lose all their talent to the AHL.