Author Topic: Toddler Ice Skates  (Read 8695 times)

Offline Broken Bones

• Public Relations Guy...
  • Global Moderator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • I'm the pain in your ass...
    • View Profile
Toddler Ice Skates
« on: January 09, 2011, 09:22:04 AM »
My wife and I want to get Alexis out on the ice. this year, she will be 2 in February.  We found "Bob Skates" at Canadian Tire which essentially are a platform with a double skate that strap onto the child's shoe/boot.  reading reviews however give some concern over the quality of the straps and them coming loose easily as they are just the cheap vinyl strap w/ a pressure "clip".

http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524441903279&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=1408474396672363&bmUID=1294582732035

Any other stores locally that sell double bladed skates?  Be it with their own "boot" or strap-ons like these ones but with more of an actual buckle on the strap?

Offline playertobenamedlater

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
Re: Toddler Ice Skates
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 01:27:15 PM »
My wife and I want to get Alexis out on the ice. this year, she will be 2 in February.  We found "Bob Skates" at Canadian Tire which essentially are a platform with a double skate that strap onto the child's shoe/boot.  reading reviews however give some concern over the quality of the straps and them coming loose easily as they are just the cheap vinyl strap w/ a pressure "clip".

http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524441903279&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=1408474396672363&bmUID=1294582732035

Any other stores locally that sell double bladed skates?  Be it with their own "boot" or strap-ons like these ones but with more of an actual buckle on the strap?

Why not just replace the straps?
A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice Chianti.

Offline Broken Bones

• Global Moderator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 01:57:03 PM »
Because that didn't cross my mind...

Offline FV

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 07:21:59 PM »
They look fine to me.  They're for a 2 year old to get a feel for the ice and push around a plastic lawn chair.  She's not going into the corners wearing them.  She'll only be on them a few times and you'll be out buying real skates.  Been there.  Believe me. 
Proud member of the P.P.A. since 2008.

Offline playertobenamedlater

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 07:23:49 PM »
Might want to start there.  :D. Since the skating season's half over, and she's only 2, she'll outgrow a new pair before yo get your money's worth out of them.
A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice Chianti.

Offline Johnny English

• Future Hall of Famer
  • Canadian Heroine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 07:27:20 PM »
Is it acceptable for adults to wear them? This is my second winter living in Canada and I still can't skate......
We all dream of a team of Chris Kellys.

Offline FV

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 07:33:40 PM »
Don't think they come in a mens 10 JE.   LOL
Proud member of the P.P.A. since 2008.

Offline Broken Bones

• Global Moderator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2011, 10:19:13 PM »
They look fine to me.  They're for a 2 year old to get a feel for the ice and push around a plastic lawn chair.  She's not going into the corners wearing them.  She'll only be on them a few times and you'll be out buying real skates.  Been there.  Believe me. 

The concern on the straps come from a friend who has a pair and reviews I have read online. 
Might want to start there.  :D. Since the skating season's half over, and she's only 2, she'll outgrow a new pair before yo get your money's worth out of them.

She is size 7 shoes now, and I believe these are adjustable from size 6 to 10 or 11.  But I am indeed hoping we will need them for this year, and possibly early next year before we get real skates.

Offline Special J

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2011, 01:21:05 PM »
Is it acceptable for adults to wear them? This is my second winter living in Canada and I still can't skate......

If you don't have a problem wearing water wings at the pool, then sure!

BB: like FV said.  For a winter or two winter they'll be fine.  They might be a little on the cheap side, but I doubt they'll go through a whole lot.
"Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true." - Homer Simpson

Offline Johnny English

• Future Hall of Famer
  • Canadian Heroine
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2011, 10:03:21 PM »
Don't think they come in a mens 10 JE.   LOL

Maybe I could strap two on each foot........ growing up in England, if I'd learned to skate I'd have been labelled a poofter. Now, living over here, I just feel plain inadequate.
We all dream of a team of Chris Kellys.

Offline Dagwood

• SITE PHILOSOPHER
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2011, 07:42:19 PM »
I remember buying these things for my son.  Lasted maybe two trys and then went to blades.  He was older than 2, but if you are holding on to her by both hands and or Mom on one side, Dad on the other...She'll be fine on regular skates.  Essentially the kids are not striding and pushing off when they fisrt learn to skate. They walk more than anthing...so then why not walk with your daughter on regular skates where she'll learn to balance much faster than on training wheels. I think most have the perception of balance coming with the dually blades..but again..they are just walking and they do little to keep kids upright, let alone stay strapped on to a boot.

There is a reason they are only 9 bucks. LOL
“Being politically correct....not my forte”

Offline momr

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2011, 07:59:54 PM »
I remember buying these things for my son.  Lasted maybe two trys and then went to blades.  He was older than 2, but if you are holding on to her by both hands and or Mom on one side, Dad on the other...She'll be fine on regular skates.  Essentially the kids are not striding and pushing off when they fisrt learn to skate. They walk more than anthing...so then why not walk with your daughter on regular skates where she'll learn to balance much faster than on training wheels. I think most have the perception of balance coming with the dually blades..but again..they are just walking and they do little to keep kids upright, let alone stay strapped on to a boot.

There is a reason they are only 9 bucks. LOL

:icon_agree:   We bought them for the first kid - used them once and moved onto skates.  Never bothered with them for the next 2 kids.

Offline Broken Bones

• Global Moderator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2011, 03:08:56 PM »
We have only gone once so far, but w got the Bob skates and she loved them.  At times she did not want me to hold her hands so I was left "skating" behind her to catch her when she fell.  I only failed to pay attention once.

My wife pushes the stoller when we went skating, we take it in part should Alexis get tired and we wanted to skate ourselves, and also to give my wife something to hold on to, so her holding on to Alexis' hand was not much of an option in itself either.

Once we get Alexis used to bring on ice and she feels comfortable we'll make the switch to real skates, probably late next year or start off the following year as we don't get out much.  This weekend would have been great had we note been sick, and unfortunately, despite living in Navan, the community going for the title of Hockeyville, we don't have an outdoor community rink.

Offline butterfly_style

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • The Puck Stops Here
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2011, 10:51:59 AM »
Bones, I'm sure you have a lid for little Alexis.
But one piece of esential equipment for beginner skaters is elbow pads.
If she falls back on her elbows, it will hurt.
If she gets hurt, she might get discouraged to keep skating, or at least a little tentative
I would also recommend knees pads (volleyball type).

One reason that kids become better skaters once they start playing hockey, is the equipment.
When they fall, they don't get hurt . . .so they "Go for it" a little more.

Another reason is because they're concentrating on the puck, instead of thinking about skating.
Skating is just a means to get to the puck

Offline Broken Bones

• Global Moderator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2011, 01:33:24 PM »
Oh yeah, a stop at Canadian Tire was the first place we went to on our way to the Canal for her first skate.  It was funny, while shopping for one she would not allow us to get the damned thing near her head to try it on.  we did the best we could with a kicking, screaming girl who sounded like she was being beaten. She was so upset she cried the entire walk to the cashier and to the car.  We get to the canal, she saw her "skates" we put them on and absolutely no issues with me putting her helmet on, as if nothing happened just an hour prior.

I'll try to post some video of her first time, not sure if I can with my wife's privacy settings on FB.

It was a blast though.  We get on the canal across from the Ritz, a short ways from it was the "rest areas" with Beaver Tails and such.  It took a good 15 minutes to get to it, when normally it would take me a whopping 30 seconds.  We stopped, Alexis enjoyed her first Beaver Tail and wanted to get skating again.  We skated from the picnic table to the outer edge of the rest area to where the trees line it on the ice where she loudly proclaims... "FINISHED!" and sat down on her bum.  We plunked her into the stroller and went for a rather short skate for about 5 minutes and went back.  It was a very short skate for us, but we wanted to end it all on a good note.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 01:37:00 PM by Broken Bones »

Offline rose

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2011, 01:36:48 PM »
Bones, I'm sure you have a lid for little Alexis.
But one piece of esential equipment for beginner skaters is elbow pads.
If she falls back on her elbows, it will hurt.
If she gets hurt, she might get discouraged to keep skating, or at least a little tentative
I would also recommend knees pads (volleyball type).

One reason that kids become better skaters once they start playing hockey, is the equipment.
When they fall, they don't get hurt . . .so they "Go for it" a little more.

Another reason is because they're concentrating on the puck, instead of thinking about skating.
Skating is just a means to get to the puck

^^All good advice.  I had some parents tell me that I was "overprotective" when I did the same (knees/elbows) but, for me, it only made sense if skating was something they wanted to do.  First impressions mean a lot to kids.....being in pain is not something they tend to want to repeat!

Chuckled a little reading BB's subsequent post.  Ahhhh......I remember THOSE days!!   :nod:
"If you can't make up your mind, 'What the hell' is usually the right answer."  Ellen Reid Smith