Author Topic: Super Bowl 45  (Read 8843 times)

Offline Rickman

• Future Hall of Famer
  • True Sens Fan (not one of those bandwagon jumpers)
    • View Profile
Re: Super Bowl 45
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2011, 07:04:42 PM »
:icon_agree:

Although their stuff after ...And Justice For All was good, it just wasn't Metallica.  It was too polished and lacked that intensity of their first four albums.  The closest they came back to their roots was St. Anger, but even with that album there was still a certain level of comfort that comes with a band that's made their money.  The edge just wasn't there.  Death Magnetic is the album that should've been Metallica's 5th album.

I don't care for AC/DC's last few albums, oops CD's either, but  they are a much more entertaining show for a broader audience than Metallica.  Too heavy for most peoples taste!

And Black peas peas really sucked, even Slash couldn't help 'em! :paddle:

Offline stone169

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2011, 06:22:52 AM »
I don't care for AC/DC's last few albums, oops CD's either, but  they are a much more entertaining show for a broader audience than Metallica.  Too heavy for most peoples taste!

And Black peas peas really sucked, even Slash couldn't help 'em! :paddle:
I haven't cared for an AC/DC album since "Fly On The Wall".
There are good coaches and there are bad coaches, the real question is "Do you want this person to be a role model to your kids for the next 6 months".  That's the question you have to ask yourself.

Go Sarnia Jr. Sting Minor Midget MD!!!!!

Offline Rickman

• Future Hall of Famer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2011, 07:30:55 AM »
"Back in Black", and the original stuff with Bon Scott for me! :crier:

Offline stone169

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2011, 08:28:14 AM »
"Back in Black", and the original stuff with Bon Scott for me! :crier:
Bon died too young.
There are good coaches and there are bad coaches, the real question is "Do you want this person to be a role model to your kids for the next 6 months".  That's the question you have to ask yourself.

Offline FV

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2011, 08:38:28 AM »
Bon was great but so is Brian.  That's what was so amazing.  They lost the lead singer and didn't miss a beat. 
Proud member of the P.P.A. since 2008.

Offline Metalhawk

• Head-Bangin'-
  • Administrator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • Some Heads Are Gonna Roll!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2011, 01:10:34 PM »
They lost the lead singer and didn't miss a beat. 

How many established bands can say that?
"A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove that you donít need it"

Offline FV

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2011, 01:35:05 PM »
None I can think of.  But they are a little unique with the face of the band being the lead guitar player and not the singer. 

Offline momr

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2011, 01:36:34 PM »

Genesis

Offline FV

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2011, 01:57:03 PM »
Genisis missed a beat big time though.  Phil Collins is no Peter Gabriel.  Not even close.  He's a complete wanker. 

Offline Johnny English

• Future Hall of Famer
  • Canadian Heroine
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2011, 02:09:32 PM »

Iron Maiden
We all dream of a team of Chris Kellys.

Offline Metalhawk

• Head-Bangin'-
  • Administrator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2011, 02:39:22 PM »
Iron Maiden

I restrained from naming Iron Maiden (my favorite band by a country mile) because when Paul Di'Anno left, while Maiden was starting to become bigger, they never really became huge until Bruce Dickinson came in the fold. And it's hard to consider a band that had released an album less than 2 years earlier an "established" band.
"A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove that you donít need it"

Offline Johnny English

• Future Hall of Famer
  • Canadian Heroine
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2011, 02:43:30 PM »
Then I suppose it depends whether you consider the Blaze Bayley interlude to constitute "not missing a beat"?

How about Anthrax? The Belladonna / Bush debate rages on.

Offline Metalhawk

• Head-Bangin'-
  • Administrator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2011, 02:48:59 PM »
Then I suppose it depends whether you consider the Blaze Bayley interlude to constitute "not missing a beat"?

I'm not sure I follow. Maiden with Di'Anno was just getting off the ground, nowhere near greatness yet. Bruce came along and they really took off.

AC/DC were already huge internationally by the time Bon Scott died and had 5 solid albums out Hell, they managed a #3 ranked album (Dirty Deeds) in the USA during the disco era.

That was my argument for not including them.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 02:52:48 PM by Metalhawk »

Offline Rickman

• Future Hall of Famer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2011, 03:00:31 PM »
I restrained from naming Iron Maiden (my favorite band by a country mile) because when Paul Di'Anno left, while Maiden was starting to become bigger, they never really became huge until Bruce Dickinson came in the fold. And it's hard to consider a band that had released an album less than 2 years earlier an "established" band.

I was mad when Paul Dianno left Maiden! Those 2 first albums were classic underground stuff!  :icon_angry2:

Offline Johnny English

• Future Hall of Famer
  • Canadian Heroine
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2011, 04:29:23 PM »
I'm not sure I follow. Maiden with Di'Anno was just getting off the ground, nowhere near greatness yet. Bruce came along and they really took off.

AC/DC were already huge internationally by the time Bon Scott died and had 5 solid albums out Hell, they managed a #3 ranked album (Dirty Deeds) in the USA during the disco era.

That was my argument for not including them.

The question was whether an already successful band had ever replaced their lead singer and continued their success; Bruce left Maiden for a while and was replaced by Blaze Bayley.

Offline stone169

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2011, 04:51:31 PM »
Judas Priest - Tim Owens

Black Sabbath - Ronnie James Dio

Mind you though when both Blaze and Tim joined their respective bands, both Judas Priest and Iron Maiden were on a bit of a decline.  Black Sabbath, on the other hand, arguably put out some of their best work with Dio.

As for Anthrax, I've always been a big fan of the Belladonna years, probably because I saw Anthrax at the Chaudier with Dark Rider and Shock during their Among the Living tour.  Tickets cost $10 back then.  Bush should stay in Armored Saint.

Offline Johnny English

• Future Hall of Famer
  • Canadian Heroine
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2011, 06:22:30 PM »
I agree with you, I like Belladonna best - although the only time I've seen them, Dan Nelson was the front man. And they were absolutely brilliant.

Offline Metalhawk

• Head-Bangin'-
  • Administrator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2011, 11:27:21 PM »
The question was whether an already successful band had ever replaced their lead singer and continued their success; Bruce left Maiden for a while and was replaced by Blaze Bayley.

The reason I didn't clue in to the Blaze comments was because I really didn't think Maiden carried on with their success then. I like him on record, but I have watched and listened to bootlegs with him on vocals and he was B-R-U-T-A-L. Not considered carrying on with their success in my mind.  :P

Offline Metalhawk

• Head-Bangin'-
  • Administrator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2011, 11:30:21 PM »
I'd forgotten about Belladonna/Bush. I prefer the Belladonna years, but Anthrax certainly carried on without missing much of a beat with Bush. Same with Sabbath. Heaven and Hell and Mob Rules are much better than anything with Ozzy, IMHO.

Judas Priest with Ripper Owens was alright, but I am not crazy about the direction of those 2 albums with him at the helm. Too nu-metal for my tastes.

Offline BlindDruid

• Administrator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2011, 07:23:06 AM »
I guess these past few posts really tells us what we feel about American football.  GO CFL... I think Alice Cooper should do the half time show next year.
Time passes, things change, the Sens WILL WIN the CUP. 
edit -  Hopefully within my lifetime.......