Author Topic: Upcoming 2011 draft  (Read 12002 times)

Offline 1st rounder

• Future Hall of Famer
  • Imagine
    • View Profile
Upcoming 2011 draft
« on: March 02, 2011, 01:22:34 PM »
I was on another site that has a poll asking which player do you think Ottawa should take with their 1st pick Overall. The choices are, Adam Larsson, Gabriel Landeskog, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, and Sean Couturier. The choice that holds 50% of the vote is Gabriel Landeskog who is a great pick but IMHO I feel we should be taking a center. I personally like Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, the reason I would want a center is we have never had a "TRUE" No.2 center to compliment our No.1 center. If you go back as far as you want in past Stanley cup champs you will find that they all had 1 thing in common, they were deep down the middle. I.E Sakic\Forsberg compared to Spezza\Fisher, you get the picture.

What do you think?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 01:24:57 PM by 1st rounder »
He Who Dares Wins!!!!!

Offline Sugar J.Hyde

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • Go blow yourself up
    • View Profile
Re: Upcoming 2011 draft
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 01:55:23 PM »
I was on another site that has a poll asking which player do you think Ottawa should take with their 1st pick Overall. The choices are, Adam Larsson, Gabriel Landeskog, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, and Sean Couturier. The choice that holds 50% of the vote is Gabriel Landeskog who is a great pick but IMHO I feel we should be taking a center. I personally like Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, the reason I would want a center is we have never had a "TRUE" No.2 center to compliment our No.1 center. If you go back as far as you want in past Stanley cup champs you will find that they all had 1 thing in common, they were deep down the middle. I.E Sakic\Forsberg compared to Spezza\Fisher, you get the picture.

What do you think?

My pick would be Landeskog.  It doesn't sound like Larsson will go past #1 so I think it has to be the other Swede.  From all accounts, it sounds like this guy is like Mike Richards.  I don't think anybody, especially this organisation, can pass a guy like that up.  Isn't he the kind of guy we've been looking for since....forever!?!
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 02:42:45 PM by Sugar J.Hyde »

Offline stone169

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 02:02:12 PM »
I'd go with Landeskog as well.  This is a guy who can do it all on the ice.  He scores, he hits, he fights, and he leads.  Like SJH said, this is the guy that we've been looking for since...forever!
There are good coaches and there are bad coaches, the real question is "Do you want this person to be a role model to your kids for the next 6 months".  That's the question you have to ask yourself.

Go Sarnia Jr. Sting Minor Midget MD!!!!!

Offline 1st rounder

• Future Hall of Famer
  • Imagine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 07:16:13 AM »
I have heard the cpmparisons with Landeskog and Richards but I never put a lot of weight into them, I don't think it's fair to the young player coming in, too much to live up to. I read an article that compared Nugent-Hopkins to Joe Sakic in his style of play.

What would be ideal is if Murray could get Stephen Weiss from Florida, he's supposedly available and at 3.1M per thru 2012-2013 and would make a good 2nd line center and Landeskog an Obvious pick.
He Who Dares Wins!!!!!

Offline Rickman

• Future Hall of Famer
  • True Sens Fan (not one of those bandwagon jumpers)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 08:05:46 AM »
I'm thinking the "New Sens Manager" is going to trade the draft picks for proven players on draft day!   :smily677:

Offline rose

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 08:28:50 AM »
I'm thinking the "New Sens Manager" is going to trade the draft picks for proven players on draft day!   :smily677:

Just curious....who do you think this new gm will be?

:icon_topic:  While I think that the Sens desperately need centres, I hope they take the "best available" players with their pick(s) and go from there.  Any decent centres UFAs on July 1st? :smily677:
"If you can't make up your mind, 'What the hell' is usually the right answer."  Ellen Reid Smith

Offline 1st rounder

• Future Hall of Famer
  • Imagine
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2011, 09:42:01 AM »
 :icon_topic:  While I think that the Sens desperately need centres, I hope they take the "best available" players with their pick(s) and go from there.  Any decent centres UFAs on July 1st? :smily677:
[/quote]

The crop this year is not as deep in quality as in past years. here's a link you can check out the UFAs and RFAs.

http://www.capgeek.com/free_agents.php
He Who Dares Wins!!!!!

Offline 1st rounder

• Future Hall of Famer
  • Imagine
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2011, 09:44:11 AM »
Just curious....who do you think this new gm will be?

Maybe Pierre McGuire, he's the only name I am hearing......maybe we can get Sam Pollock to give it another try.  :D
He Who Dares Wins!!!!!

Offline rose

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2011, 10:41:15 AM »
I could not bear to have Pierre McGuire as GM.  Besides why does anyone think he's qualified to do the job?  Because he name-drops a lot?  That doesn't make someone qualified to be a GM.  If that's the case, Greg Millen would be "better" qualified...he's a superior name-dropper than Pierre, IMHO.   :shake:
"If you can't make up your mind, 'What the hell' is usually the right answer."  Ellen Reid Smith

Offline 1st rounder

• Future Hall of Famer
  • Imagine
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2011, 11:03:40 AM »
I could not bear to have Pierre McGuire as GM.  Besides why does anyone think he's qualified to do the job?  Because he name-drops a lot?  That doesn't make someone qualified to be a GM.  If that's the case, Greg Millen would be "better" qualified...he's a superior name-dropper than Pierre, IMHO.   :shake:

:A_laughing_matter: :A_laughing_matter: Could you imagine Greg Millen as a GM, I can't stand to listen to him during games.

:icon_agree: McGuire has no experience as a GM but he has a pretty good grasp of the talent available. 
He Who Dares Wins!!!!!

Offline butterfly_style

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • The Puck Stops Here
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2011, 11:23:55 AM »
Not McGuire  . . .but another "Mc" somebody for GM

OK, so it's "Mac"  . . .almost the same thing

Offline playertobenamedlater

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2011, 12:50:24 PM »
For anyone who's interested, Landeskog is in town Sunday with the Kitchener Rangers to play the 67's. Game time is 2:00.
A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice Chianti.

Offline work2play

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
    • Petition Spot - CBC is for all Canadians
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2011, 03:10:13 PM »
Larsson.  Adding him would give Ottawa the best young D prospects in the league.  In a couple of years the top six on defense would be Larsson, Runblad, Wiercioch, Cowen, Phillips, Karlsson.

Then use Nashville's first round pick and the extra later round picks to stock up on forwards or use the extra picks to trade up and draft twice in the top five. 
Lost your job yet?  Keep buying foreign!

Offline playertobenamedlater

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2011, 06:49:06 AM »
Since Larsson is playing in the Swedish Elite League, you won't likely get a chance to see him this year. Since Landeskog is ONE OF the prospects that Ottawa may be taking in the draft, I thought some Ottawa fans might want to get out and see him this weekend.
A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice Chianti.

Offline 1st rounder

• Future Hall of Famer
  • Imagine
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2011, 11:24:24 AM »

Then use Nashville's first round pick and the extra later round picks to stock up on forwards or use the extra picks to trade up and draft twice in the top five. 

If you could make that happen you should be our next GM.........Seriously!!!!!!!!!
He Who Dares Wins!!!!!

Offline 1st rounder

• Future Hall of Famer
  • Imagine
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2011, 11:26:14 AM »
Not McGuire  . . .but another "Mc" somebody for GM

OK, so it's "Mac"  . . .almost the same thing

God No!!!!!!!! Not him, look at the condition he left Columbus in, it would be the reincarnation of the muckler era.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 11:30:43 AM by 1st rounder »
He Who Dares Wins!!!!!

Offline Rickman

• Future Hall of Famer
  • True Sens Fan (not one of those bandwagon jumpers)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2011, 07:35:33 PM »
I'd love Bob Gainey, as he fought to keep Price instead of Halak!

He knows his $hit!

Offline PiePants

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2011, 09:17:34 AM »
I doubt Gainey has any interest in becoming a GM for the foreseeable future.

Offline Jasonf6

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • The good 'ol days
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2011, 09:42:06 AM »
Well, it is official now.  The Senators have hit the bottom of the league with the Edmonton win over Colorado. :)

Offline Metalhawk

• Head-Bangin'-
  • Administrator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • Some Heads Are Gonna Roll!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2011, 02:19:20 PM »
Well, it is official now.  The Senators have hit the bottom of the league with the Edmonton win over Colorado. :)

Despite Anderson playing lights out. Here comes Landeskog.  :nod:
"A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove that you donít need it"