Author Topic: Upcoming 2011 draft  (Read 12897 times)

Offline Jasonf6

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • The good 'ol days
    • View Profile
Re: Upcoming 2011 draft
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2011, 02:57:09 PM »
Despite Anderson playing lights out. Here comes Landeskog.  :nod:
I think there comes a point in any nosedive of a jet where despite having a competent pilot on the stick that the plane will go splat regardless of his efforts. :)

Offline 1st rounder

• Future Hall of Famer
  • Imagine
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2011, 11:12:51 AM »
Despite Anderson playing lights out. Here comes Landeskog.  :nod:

murray recently stated that if they get the 1st overall pick they would be looking at taking Adam Larsson (D) and went on the say that with Larsson in the fold, Ottawa would set at defence for years to come with Karlsson, Rungbald, Cowan and Larsson.
He Who Dares Wins!!!!!

Offline Jasonf6

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • The good 'ol days
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2011, 12:09:56 PM »
...Rungbald

Sorry to nitpick but you butchered Rundblad pretty bad there. :D

Offline Metalhawk

• Head-Bangin'-
  • Administrator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • Some Heads Are Gonna Roll!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2011, 01:41:30 PM »
murray recently stated that if they get the 1st overall pick they would be looking at taking Adam Larsson (D) and went on the say that with Larsson in the fold, Ottawa would set at defence for years to come with Karlsson, Rungbald, Cowan and Larsson.

Reading between the lines of his interviews this weekend, he seems highest on Landeskog.
"A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove that you donít need it"

Offline work2play

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
    • Petition Spot - CBC is for all Canadians
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2011, 02:22:42 PM »
If you could make that happen you should be our next GM.........Seriously!!!!!!!!!
If I could make things like that happen I'd already be an NHL GM  ;) 

What would really be a great trick would be to get rid of Kuba's salary in the trade.  Packaging Brian Lee (a former first round pick) in this deal may be another way to go.

But seriously, the Nashville pick is likely to still be atop fifteen pick, or if they keep tanking maybe top ten to twelve.  Even without a trade to move up, you can still draft some good forwards at that position.  Larsson is the pick of the D in this years draft, and there is no way he drops that far.

Lost your job yet?  Keep buying foreign!

Offline FBK

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2011, 12:17:07 PM »
hopefully Murray doesn't go after a defenseman. I think the sens have enough defensemen already.
RAP AND HIP-HOP FOR LIFE

Offline OS

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • MacLean is Really Good!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2011, 02:21:43 PM »
hopefully Murray doesn't go after a defenseman. I think the sens have enough defensemen already.

The Sens have lots of D prospect, which are not NHL defensemen.  Some will not pan out, guaranteed.  Don't sweat it if it appears there are to many D. 

Offline Jasonf6

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • The good 'ol days
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2011, 02:54:09 PM »
I think he's referring to those we do have who WILL be in the NHL soonish; being, Cowen, Weircoich (sp?) and Rundblad.

Offline OS

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • MacLean is Really Good!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2011, 03:52:43 PM »
I think he's referring to those we do have who WILL be in the NHL soonish; being, Cowen, Weircoich (sp?) and Rundblad.

Yup, even then, big transition. 

Offline FBK

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2011, 01:54:36 PM »
At the moment we dont have enough young forwards.
RAP AND HIP-HOP FOR LIFE

Offline work2play

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
    • Petition Spot - CBC is for all Canadians
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2011, 05:19:54 PM »
At the moment we dont have enough young forwards.
You're right about that, but you can still draft forwards with NHL potential in the later part of the first round and the second round.  Defenseman like Larsson don't come along every year.  I disagree with the comments about Ottawa having enough D prospects.  Not all of them will work out at the NHL level, just ask Brian Lee. 
Lost your job yet?  Keep buying foreign!

Offline rose

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2011, 05:43:36 PM »
You're right about that, but you can still draft forwards with NHL potential in the later part of the first round and the second round.  Defenseman like Larsson don't come along every year.  I disagree with the comments about Ottawa having enough D prospects.  Not all of them will work out at the NHL level, just ask Brian Lee. 

Speaking of Brian Lee, he and Phillips kept Kovalchuk (who has been on fire lately) to just one shot in the New Jersey game Tuesday and people are talking about he and Phillips being the new 'shutdown' pairing.  Imagine that!  He sat out many games and now we don't hear his name much since he started playing (which, for d-men, normally means they aren't making a lot of mistakes out there!).   :smily1263:

Have to say if there is a stud d-man available, I agree that you take the best prospect available in a draft.  A team can never have enough solid defensive prospects, IMHO, because they are the most difficult on-ice players to get up to NHL calibre.   :nod:
"If you can't make up your mind, 'What the hell' is usually the right answer."  Ellen Reid Smith

Offline Budkiller

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2011, 07:48:11 PM »
Regarding the consensus top-4 in the upcoming draft (Larsson, Landeskog, Nugent-Hopkins, Couturier):

Since 2004, just under 43% of players selected in the top-5 played significant games for their NHL club the following season... with 2009 showing 4 of the 5 top picks make their respective clubs.  Anybody have any comments on which (if any) of these players makes his NHL team this Fall? 

Does Ottawa select the player most likely to crack the line-up in year one to advance the rebuild or do they select the player with the highest ceiling...no matter whether they return to junior or not?

Offline FBK

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2011, 05:21:21 AM »
BTW what happened to Patrick wiercioch. Last year he was one of Ottawa's best prospects but look at him now, he is struggling Bingo. Just because you can't have enough defensemen, it doesn't mean you can't draft forwards.
RAP AND HIP-HOP FOR LIFE

Offline playertobenamedlater

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2011, 12:56:10 PM »
Regarding the consensus top-4 in the upcoming draft (Larsson, Landeskog, Nugent-Hopkins, Couturier):

Since 2004, just under 43% of players selected in the top-5 played significant games for their NHL club the following season... with 2009 showing 4 of the 5 top picks make their respective clubs.  Anybody have any comments on which (if any) of these players makes his NHL team this Fall? 

Does Ottawa select the player most likely to crack the line-up in year one to advance the rebuild or do they select the player with the highest ceiling...no matter whether they return to junior or not?

It depends on the situation the team is in at the time, as much as it does the player. For example, if Toronto ends up tanking and Boston ends up with another top 5 pick, they may end up with a perfectly NHL ready player, and just not have room for him in the lineup. Another team may just want to take time and develop their player slowly, and leave him in the system. You never know how these things are going to pan out.
A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice Chianti.

Offline Budkiller

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2011, 04:25:40 PM »
It depends on the situation the team is in at the time, as much as it does the player. For example, if Toronto ends up tanking and Boston ends up with another top 5 pick, they may end up with a perfectly NHL ready player, and just not have room for him in the lineup. Another team may just want to take time and develop their player slowly, and leave him in the system. You never know how these things are going to pan out.

I guess I was thinking of Ottawa's situation.  And Boston found room for Seguin.

I think what I'm getting at is that there have been players drafted in recent years that simply have nothing left to prove by returning to junior.  Think Doughty, Hedman and Kane....guys who weren't at the generational level of talent like Crosby, Tavares and Stamkos.

So, is Ottawa looking for the guy that will definitely crack the line-up or do they play it conservatively?

Offline playertobenamedlater

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2011, 12:20:45 PM »
I guess I was thinking of Ottawa's situation.  And Boston found room for Seguin.

I think what I'm getting at is that there have been players drafted in recent years that simply have nothing left to prove by returning to junior.  Think Doughty, Hedman and Kane....guys who weren't at the generational level of talent like Crosby, Tavares and Stamkos.

So, is Ottawa looking for the guy that will definitely crack the line-up or do they play it conservatively?

At this point, I think they should be looking to the player with the brightest future. Personally, I'm favouring Landeskog because of him being a power forward who has legitimate scoring ability. He's probably the rarest player in the top 5.
A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice Chianti.

Offline Jasonf6

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • The good 'ol days
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2011, 07:19:48 PM »
At this point, I think they should be looking to the player with the brightest future. Personally, I'm favouring Landeskog because of him being a power forward who has legitimate scoring ability. He's probably the rarest player in the top 5.
Me too.

Offline stone169

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2011, 07:55:57 PM »
BTW what happened to Patrick wiercioch. Last year he was one of Ottawa's best prospects but look at him now, he is struggling Bingo. Just because you can't have enough defensemen, it doesn't mean you can't draft forwards.
Defensemen usually take a little longer than forwards to develop.  He should have better numbers next year down in Bingo.  The play less games in college and Weircioch is playing with men now so I'd cut him a little slack in his first professional season.
There are good coaches and there are bad coaches, the real question is "Do you want this person to be a role model to your kids for the next 6 months".  That's the question you have to ask yourself.

Go Sarnia Jr. Sting Minor Midget MD!!!!!

Offline stone169

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2011, 07:57:13 PM »
:icon_agree:
There are good coaches and there are bad coaches, the real question is "Do you want this person to be a role model to your kids for the next 6 months".  That's the question you have to ask yourself.

Go Sarnia Jr. Sting Minor Midget MD!!!!!