Author Topic: Upcoming 2011 draft  (Read 12476 times)

Offline Jasonf6

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • The good 'ol days
    • View Profile
Re: Upcoming 2011 draft
« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2011, 08:25:34 AM »
Just looked at the Sun's breakdown of the top picks and man:

4. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, C,
Red Deer (WHL)
Wt: 155 lbs
2010-11: 65 GP 24 G 72 A 96 Pts

I know he's young but 155?  I'm bigger than he is. :)  Landeskog may not be a center but he's big and just as skilled.

Offline PiePants

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2011, 09:19:10 AM »
I seriously hope that they are overstating his height with that weight.

Offline Jasonf6

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • The good 'ol days
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2011, 03:44:28 PM »
I seriously hope that they are overstating his height with that weight.
Or that his weight is a typo and should be 185 which would still be small imo for a player.

Offline 1st rounder

• Future Hall of Famer
  • Imagine
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2011, 02:27:01 PM »
Just looked at the Sun's breakdown of the top picks and man:

I know he's young but 155?  I'm bigger than he is. :)  Landeskog may not be a center but he's big and just as skilled.

I heard Nugent -Hopkins on the team 1200 wednrsday night, he plans on coming into camp at 180, also get this, his favorite team is The Sens. This kid is my pick for Ottawa, he reminds me of Joe Sakic, other so called "experts" have compared him to Brad Richards\pat Lafontaine.  I watched him play a few days ago, this kid had 15 pts in his last 5 games. He will be on the team next year if we can get him. Gretzky played at 185 lbs and he was not as fast as this kid.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 02:31:37 PM by 1st rounder »
He Who Dares Wins!!!!!

Offline Jasonf6

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • The good 'ol days
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2011, 03:56:28 PM »
Gretzky played at 185 lbs and he was not as fast as this kid.
Yes, but Gretzky played in the era where if you so much as looked at him funny you had his protecters beating the crap out of you. :)

Offline playertobenamedlater

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2011, 04:40:12 PM »
I heard Nugent -Hopkins on the team 1200 wednrsday night, he plans on coming into camp at 180, also get this, his favorite team is The Sens. This kid is my pick for Ottawa, he reminds me of Joe Sakic, other so called "experts" have compared him to Brad Richards\pat Lafontaine.  I watched him play a few days ago, this kid had 15 pts in his last 5 games. He will be on the team next year if we can get him. Gretzky played at 185 lbs and he was not as fast as this kid.

I've heard Landeskog comapred to Mike Richards, but bigger....

Yes, but Gretzky played in the era where if you so much as looked at him funny you had his protecters beating the crap out of you. :)

Veeeeerrrry true!
A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice Chianti.

Offline Rickman

• Future Hall of Famer
  • True Sens Fan (not one of those bandwagon jumpers)
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2011, 02:13:44 PM »
Gretzky played at 185 lbs and he was not as fast as this kid.

Most players are probably faster than Gretzky, it's all in the hands and the eyes!  :icon_bowdown2:

Offline 1st rounder

• Future Hall of Famer
  • Imagine
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2011, 02:30:48 PM »
I've heard Landeskog comapred to Mike Richards, but bigger....

But he doesn't play center.
He Who Dares Wins!!!!!

Offline work2play

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
    • Petition Spot - CBC is for all Canadians
« Reply #48 on: June 07, 2011, 04:12:14 PM »
Three prospects worked out for the Senators.  Maybe an indication of their short list for that sixth overall pick.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=368060
Lost your job yet?  Keep buying foreign!

Offline stone169

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 07, 2011, 05:00:18 PM »
I didn't even hear of this kid Mika Zibanejad.  I did some checking on him and he looks pretty good.
There are good coaches and there are bad coaches, the real question is "Do you want this person to be a role model to your kids for the next 6 months".  That's the question you have to ask yourself.

Go Sarnia Jr. Sting Minor Midget MD!!!!!

Offline Metalhawk

• Head-Bangin'-
  • Administrator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • Some Heads Are Gonna Roll!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 08, 2011, 02:38:52 AM »
Three prospects worked out for the Senators.  Maybe an indication of their short list for that sixth overall pick.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=368060

That was Monday. Today, Landeskog and Huberdeau were working out for the Sens. Dougie Hamilton was also scheduled to be there, but a school conflict meant he couldn't make it.
"A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove that you don’t need it"

Offline Johnny English

• Future Hall of Famer
  • Canadian Heroine
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 21, 2011, 03:18:25 PM »
Sens are looking seriously at a trade, which is no surprise given the number of picks they've got.

http://www.torontosun.com/2011/06/20/sens-look-to-move-up-at-draft-possibly-all-the-way-to-no-1
We all dream of a team of Chris Kellys.

Offline Jasonf6

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • The good 'ol days
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 21, 2011, 03:39:34 PM »
Sens are looking seriously at a trade, which is no surprise given the number of picks they've got.

http://www.torontosun.com/2011/06/20/sens-look-to-move-up-at-draft-possibly-all-the-way-to-no-1
I don't see them getting the number 1 pick from Edmonton but I guess stranger things have happened at the Draft.  I'd be happy as a pig in....if we landed Landeskog or Huberdeau.  But both of those players are ranked higher than we draft so a trade would definitely be necessary.

Offline Johnny English

• Future Hall of Famer
  • Canadian Heroine
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 24, 2011, 09:03:28 PM »
So are we happy with Zibanejad?
We all dream of a team of Chris Kellys.

Offline gared66

• Hall of Fame Inductee
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 24, 2011, 11:20:31 PM »
I sure as hell don't know. I was thinking they'd get Strome or Couturier. My question to people familiar with Zabinejad is how well can he skate? I find skating ability tends to be a good measure of how well prospects will do.

Let no one say the Sens cupboards are bare. They certainly are not. Although they still don't have that forward heir apparent to Alfredsson. That worries me. With these picks they may not be so thin up front in a couple years, but they definitely still lack someone to replace Alfredsson.

Anyone ever get the sense that Murray, while good at drafting and picking up players off waivers, is terrible when it comes to deals with other GM's? It's like they see him coming from a mile away. He never snookers other GM's, he gets snookered, usually in situations where he's backed into a corner, like Heatley. It woulda been nice to see them move up in this draft. Get Landeskog or Huberdeau.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 11:25:41 PM by gared66 »

Offline OS

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • MacLean is Really Good!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 25, 2011, 01:52:47 AM »
Liked the draft.  I don't know anything about Mika Zibanejad, but he was the top rated European forward in the draft.  Stefan Noesen ‎is one that I will trust Murray on.  Interesting that Couturier dropped to 8th.

Matt Puempel is the pick that I'm most intrigued and interested in.  This is similar to the Cowen situation where and injury drops a top quality player down so the Sens get a player they hadn't dreamed would normally be available.

He's a former CHL Rookie of the year, and the track record for the winner of that award is incredible.

2010–11 Nail Yakupov, Sarnia Sting[1]
2009–10 Matt Puempel, Peterborough Petes[2]
2008–09 Brett Connolly, Prince George Cougars[3]
2007–08 Taylor Hall, Windsor Spitfires[4]
2006–07 Patrick Kane, London Knights[5]
2005–06 John Tavares, Oshawa Generals[6]
2004–05 Benoit Pouliot, Sudbury Wolves[7]
2003–04 Sidney Crosby, Rimouski Oc้anic[8]
2002–03 Matt Ellison, Red Deer Rebels[9]
2001–02 Patrick O'Sullivan, Mississauga IceDogs
2000–01 Scottie Upshall, Kamloops Blazers
1999–00 Dan Blackburn, Kootenay Ice
1998–99 Pavel Brendl, Calgary Hitmen
1997–98 David Legwand, Plymouth Whalers
1996–97 Vincent Lecavalier, Rimouski Oc้anic
1995–96 Joe Thornton, Sault Ste. Marie Greyhound

« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 01:57:26 AM by OS »

Offline PiePants

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 25, 2011, 11:47:06 AM »
I sure as hell don't know. I was thinking they'd get Strome or Couturier. My question to people familiar with Zabinejad is how well can he skate? I find skating ability tends to be a good measure of how well prospects will do.

Let no one say the Sens cupboards are bare. They certainly are not. Although they still don't have that forward heir apparent to Alfredsson. That worries me. With these picks they may not be so thin up front in a couple years, but they definitely still lack someone to replace Alfredsson.

Anyone ever get the sense that Murray, while good at drafting and picking up players off waivers, is terrible when it comes to deals with other GM's? It's like they see him coming from a mile away. He never snookers other GM's, he gets snookered, usually in situations where he's backed into a corner, like Heatley. It woulda been nice to see them move up in this draft. Get Landeskog or Huberdeau.

I think Strome was Murray's realistic favourite pick in the draft, unfortunately the Islanders took him.  Based on the little I've seen and read about Zibenajad, he's described as not being the fastest skater, however the scouting reports say he's a strong skater with good balance.  He's a two-way player that plays on both ends of the ice, who's physical with a good strong shot.  So it's a very similar scouting report to Landeskog.  As for Murray, I agree completely and have been saying this for awhile.  He seems to be better suited at best as a senior adviser/scout for the club, or at worst, the head of scouting for the club (the role that Pierre Dorion is currently holding), while someone more competent should be handling the GM duties.

Edit to add:

It is possible we still have good forwards with potential coming up.  Petersson is a boom or bust type prospect that could be a very good goal scorer at the NHL level.  Silferberg projects to be at worst a third liner but could be a solid two-way second line centerman for us.  Marcus Sorensen and Mark Stone are long term projects that could pan out to be very good offensive players for us down the line.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 11:51:24 AM by PiePants »

Offline FV

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 25, 2011, 12:03:02 PM »
Columbus trade Filatov to the Sens for the 66th pick.

Proud member of the P.P.A. since 2008.

Offline UniCop

• Future Hall of Famer
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 25, 2011, 01:31:18 PM »

Don't worry - we're nowhere near the 133rd pick yet....there's still time.

Offline UniCop

• Future Hall of Famer
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 25, 2011, 01:41:35 PM »
Columbus trade Filatov to the Sens for the 66th pick.

I thought that was a joke.........did somebody hit Scott Howison over the head with something?

And y'all were just finished saying that Bryan Murray can't trade.....

Either way, draft continues.  Murray picks two local kids (Prince from the 67's...a steal at 61, and JG Pageau from the Olympiques), another Swedish D-man and Darren Kramer from Spokane (C)

Edit - Pageau looks like a nice pickup as well....16th leading scorer in the Q, 3rd overall in the playoffs....
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 01:45:08 PM by UniCop »