5 (23.8%)
NDP
3 (14.3%)
Green
1 (4.8%)
Other
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Author Topic: Yet Another Election  (Read 24770 times)

Offline Metalhawk

• Head-Bangin'-
  • Administrator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • Some Heads Are Gonna Roll!!!
    • View Profile
Yet Another Election
« on: March 26, 2011, 12:34:28 PM »
4th in 7 years. And once again, the result will be the same as the last 2.  smily677

(And please keep it civil in here)

--------------------------

I love how Harper is telling everyone how evil the opposition is for maybe considering forming a coalition, when he tried to do the same himself back in 2004 to steal power from Paul Martin's Liberals.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canadavotes2011/story/2011/03/26/cv-writ-response.html
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 02:19:51 PM by Metalhawk »
"A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove that you donít need it"

Offline rose

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
Re: Yet another election
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 01:28:12 PM »
I love how Harper is telling everyone how evil the opposition is for maybe considering forming a coalition, when he tried to do the same himself back in 2004 to steal power from Paul Martin's Liberals.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canadavotes2011/story/2011/03/26/cv-writ-response.html

And that will be typical throughout the campaign period - likely by all parties.  After all, politicians count on the apathy of voters including their short memories and lack of overall foresight.  It's all about "spin" and "being in the moment" for far too many people/voters and the parties 'play' to that reality.

Not expecting a different outcome (minority government) but have to say, IMHO, if Harper only manages a third minority government, I really have to wonder what the Conservative party as a whole will think.  I thought he might be toast when he couldn't achieve a majority against Stephane Dion.  If he makes it three minorities in a row........ :smily677:
"If you can't make up your mind, 'What the hell' is usually the right answer."  Ellen Reid Smith

Offline Johnny English

• Future Hall of Famer
  • Canadian Heroine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 10:16:24 AM »
Can you edit the thread to add an anonymous poll and see which way SN is likely to vote? It would be interesting to see what people's feelings are.
We all dream of a team of Chris Kellys.

Offline Metalhawk

• Head-Bangin'-
  • Administrator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 02:11:45 PM »
Good idea. Poll added.
"A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove that you donít need it"

Offline OS

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • MacLean is Really Good!
    • View Profile
Re: Yet Another Election
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 07:17:39 PM »
Conservatives will win again.  Iggy just has no D when he only lived in Canada for 3 years since getting his undergrad degree, and not at all since 1978 until he decided to save us and become PM.  My goodness, what a field day the opposition would have with that if he wasn't running for the Liberals.   Parties aside, I'm offended by that.   

Offline FV

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 07:33:29 PM »
So am I.  I don't want someone who's referred to himself as an American running our country.  Liberals really need to find someone with an electable personality.  Dion, Iggy....you couldn't come up with two less appealing personalities if you tried. 

I hope for the sake of the country, Harper gets a majority and we can stop all this nonsense of constant elections. 
Proud member of the P.P.A. since 2008.

Offline Metalhawk

• Head-Bangin'-
  • Administrator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2011, 08:25:16 PM »
I hope for the sake of the country, Harper gets a majority and we can stop all this nonsense of constant elections. 

I am fine with a Conservative majority, just not under Harper. I said it before he even was PM, but I just don't trust the guy. There's something about him that's just downright creepy.

Offline PiePants

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2011, 09:29:32 PM »
The best scenario is another conservative minority government.  In that scenario, it's likely both major party leaders get sacked

Offline OS

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2011, 10:20:24 PM »
I am fine with a Conservative majority, just not under Harper. I said it before he even was PM, but I just don't trust the guy. There's something about him that's just downright creepy.

I'd go for a majority.  Ontario survived an NDP government, federally we would survive the majority.  On major issues, and economically, there is virtually no difference between the Conservatives and the Liberals.  For the Liberal party, it's kind of like the Senators, tear it down and rebuild it right - stop looking for the hail mary free agent signing.  With a majority, there is no excuse for what happens, it's your shot.  Liberals, show you have your act together and get Frank McKenna to run!!! I would vote for him.

The constant war footing of minority governments is grinding.  Inside government, it is not healthy at all.   The media and opposition are always on the look-out for a gotcha (which I understand, not pointing fingers 'cause it is politics) and internally things are strung tight not wanting to screw up.  Things I used to do under Liberal and Conservative majorities in the past, on my own just doing my job, I now brief up on so that everyone is in the loop.   It has been developing as the minorities roll up. 

Offline OS

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2011, 10:21:20 PM »
The best scenario is another conservative minority government.  In that scenario, it's likely both major party leaders get sacked

I don't see Harper going.  Minority or not, it's still a win. 

Offline BlindDruid

• Administrator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2011, 08:09:24 AM »
The NDP just might surprise us all.  Layton is probably the most likeable and trustworthy of the bunch and people are getting fed up with the other two egotists.  I'm hoping that the Green Party gets a seat this tme around.
Time passes, things change, the Sens WILL WIN the CUP. 
edit -  Hopefully within my lifetime.......

Offline FV

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2011, 09:28:12 AM »
Funny how peoples opinions vary so much.  I think Layton is a complete idiot and totally unlikeable.  The Bloc guy seems OK but I totally disagree with his politics. 
Proud member of the P.P.A. since 2008.

Offline Sasquatch

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2011, 11:23:32 AM »
Hate Harper, dont like Ignatieff.....
If I vote I can only fall back on Layton. And thats not me voting FOR him, its not voting for the other two...

I dont even like to vote when theres no one I truly believe in or trust.... Layton seems the most reasonable but they all do when they are campaigning. Look at our Provincial Premier.... good grief.

Maybe Ill forgo it this time around...
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 11:26:32 AM by Sasquatch »

Offline Jasonf6

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • The good 'ol days
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2011, 11:56:44 AM »
I agree with ya FV cept that I wouldn't vote for the Bloc if they were the last party in Canada.  They only represent Quebcec's interest which I completely disagree with.  Im not even sure if they can hold a majority but if they ever did I'd be moving out asap.

This is another election where I don't like any of the leaders.

Offline Rickman

• Future Hall of Famer
  • True Sens Fan (not one of those bandwagon jumpers)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2011, 12:34:32 PM »
 I like how Harper got us through a Global meltdown compared to what other country's suffered.  Imagine how better it could have been if it was a majority party, and we wouldn't have to hear form those other clowns like Ignatief.... :paddle:

And that will be typical throughout the campaign period - likely by all parties.  After all, politicians count on the apathy of voters including their short memories and lack of overall foresight.  It's all about "spin" and "being in the moment" for far too many people/voters and the parties 'play' to that reality.

I hope people don't forget all the stealing going on from the Liberals in the past!!!   :icon_angry2:
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 12:36:40 PM by Rickman »

Offline OS

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2011, 01:07:21 PM »
Is the Rhino party still out there? :-)

Offline PiePants

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2011, 01:12:39 PM »
I like how Harper got us through a Global meltdown compared to what other country's suffered. 

So, what exactly did Harper do to get us through the Global meltdown?

Imagine how better it could have been if it was a majority party, and we wouldn't have to hear form those other clowns like Ignatief.... :paddle:

That is so wrong on so many levels  :shake:

Offline Billy_Muckwalt

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2011, 03:08:39 PM »
The fact of the matter is that the entire voting base is flawed. Having had family members fight in both world wars for Canada I don't have much time for the PQ. However they hold what 7 or 8 seats? Thats BS and does not refect what Canada wants.

For example the green party with 7.0% of the votes gets 0 seats while the PQ with like 5.x% gets like 7 or something. I forget the actual number and don't care enough to check but its just a crock of sht.

Im not a conservative per se, but I will vote for them as they are the less of all evils here, and maintain the most stable govt with the strongest leadership. I am wagering on a conservative majority.

Say what you want about Harper but what most non tories wont admit is that he's really not doing that bad of a job. He's just quietly leading the country and doing his work.

Ignatieff - Doesn't have the common sense and leadership to run a burger king. Majority of the votes this guy will get will be people against a majority conservative govt, and not really a vote for Igantieff. Wouldn't know an original idea if came up and peed on his shoes.

Jack Leyton - Has some decent ideas and at least listens to most. NDP bring some decent values to the table. If they could find a healthy merger with the Green party they would be better off.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 03:11:34 PM by Billy_Muckwalt »
Luongo sucks.

Offline playertobenamedlater

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2011, 10:26:32 PM »
Personally, I'm looking for a PC majority here. Harper hasn't done a bad job, despite being a minority. Give him the reigns for 4 years, and let's see what he's really got. I'm proud of each and every soldier who's ever made a sacrifice for my right to vote, and will vote in every election until I'm on my deathbed, but I just don't want to be doing it every few weeks.

I'm really hoping that Iggy gets his this election. I can't think of a single positive or likeable thing about him. With a majority, there's no harm in having Layrton as the leader of the opposition. The guy reminds me of a serial killer, but I still prefer him over Iggy.

People think Harper's creepy. I think he's just a bit nerdy is all.
A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice Chianti.

Offline OS

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2011, 11:34:20 PM »
A copy of the 2004 letter the opposition is using for coalition claims against Harper is below.

You can imply what you wish from the 2004 letter, but it does no more than ask the GG to consider her options.  There was no agreement signed between the parties, as in 08, with a plan to oust the government with timeframes and cabinet posts allocated between parties. The opposition is really stretching it to claim it's the same. The Conservatives should be killing them with this opportunity to point out exactly what went on in 200 vs. 04 but are missing an opportunity. 

----------------------------------------------------
Her Excellency the Right Honourable Adrienne Clarkson,

C.C., C.M.M., C.O.M., C.D.

Governor General

Rideau Hall

1 Sussex Drive

Ottawa, Ontario K1A 0A1

Excellency,

As leaders of the opposition parties, we are well aware that, given the Liberal minority government, you could be asked by the Prime Minister to dissolve the 38th Parliament at any time should the House of Commons fail to support some part of the government's program.

We respectfully point out that the opposition parties, who together constitute a majority in the House, have been in close consultation. We believe that, should a request for dissolution arise this should give you cause, as constitutional practice has determined, to consult the opposition leaders and consider all of your options before exercising your constitutional authority.

Your attention to this matter is appreciated.

Sincerely,

Hon. Stephen Harper, P.C., M.P.

Leader of the Opposition

Leader of the Conservative Party of Canada

Gilles Duceppe, M.P.

Leader of the Bloc Quebecois

Jack Layton, M.P.