5 (23.8%)
NDP
3 (14.3%)
Green
1 (4.8%)
Other
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Author Topic: Yet Another Election  (Read 24769 times)

Offline rose

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
Re: Yet Another Election
« Reply #220 on: May 06, 2011, 10:18:08 AM »
Harper's party has voted for bringing down the House, and called for an early election the same number of times as the Liberals over the past seven years.  At least with the Liberals, Paul Martin was justified in calling an election saying he wanted a mandate from the electorate after taking over leadership of the party.  There was absolutely no justification for the 2008 election which was called by Harper.

^^But the fact that many voters lay all the blame on the multi-elections on the Liberals and NDP, et al highlights the Attention Deficit Syndrome that many voters - particularly Conservative supporters - have.  They don't want to deal with facts when it comes to the parliamentary process of governance.
"If you can't make up your mind, 'What the hell' is usually the right answer."  Ellen Reid Smith

Offline FV

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: May 06, 2011, 10:34:00 AM »
And Liberals and thier supporters don't want to deal with the fact that the people have spoken.  Harper is Prime Minister and in my opinion (and a lot of other Canadians opinion) he was the best man for the job.  He's got 4 years and I think he will do a great job!   :drink:
Proud member of the P.P.A. since 2008.

Offline Johnny English

• Future Hall of Famer
  • Canadian Heroine
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: May 06, 2011, 11:12:24 AM »
Harper is Prime Minister and in my opinion (and a lot of other Canadians opinion) he was the best man for the job. 

I think that's more an indictment of the opposition than it is a ringing endorsement of the man who has been found guilty of deceiving the Canadian people, who has at every turn denied the most basic of access to the nation's press, and who has used the esoterics of the democratic process to try and cement a power base regardless of its impact upon the nation.

You were right all along about one thing, though. Ignatieff's ineptitude is simply staggering. He made himself unelectable, and on that basis it became virtually impossible for anyone other than Harper to be elected. Faced with a choice of an awful incumbent, an unpalatable opposition and a creditable but completely unproven third option, I can't blame Canada for making  the decision it did. It certainly isn't a reason for rejoicing, though.
We all dream of a team of Chris Kellys.

Offline sensfan1984

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: May 06, 2011, 11:14:39 AM »
I think that's more an indictment of the opposition than it is a ringing endorsement of the man who has been found guilty of deceiving the Canadian people, who has at every turn denied the most basic of access to the nation's press, and who has used the esoterics of the democratic process to try and cement a power base regardless of its impact upon the nation.

You were right all along about one thing, though. Ignatieff's ineptitude is simply staggering. He made himself unelectable, and on that basis it became virtually impossible for anyone other than Harper to be elected. Faced with a choice of an awful incumbent, an unpalatable opposition and a creditable but completely unproven third option, I can't blame Canada for making  the decision it did. It certainly isn't a reason for rejoicing, though.
:icon_agree:

Offline rose

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: May 06, 2011, 12:24:59 PM »

:icon_agree:  Very well stated.

And Liberals and thier supporters don't want to deal with the fact that the people have spoken.  Harper is Prime Minister and in my opinion (and a lot of other Canadians opinion) he was the best man for the job.  He's got 4 years and I think he will do a great job!   :drink:

And if you are referring to me, if you read my last post you would see that I do accept the election results...I simply don't like them.  Just because Mr. Harper and the many NDP candidates were elected doesn't mean that, as a Liberal, I have to "like" them.  I respect that the voters spoke at the ballot boxes across the nation.  Doesn't mean that I have to be happy about it.  And it certainly does not mean that I have to admit that I think Mr. Harper is "the best man for the job".  You are entitled, however, to your opinion as I am to mine.
"If you can't make up your mind, 'What the hell' is usually the right answer."  Ellen Reid Smith

Offline Rickman

• Future Hall of Famer
  • True Sens Fan (not one of those bandwagon jumpers)
    • View Profile
« Reply #225 on: May 06, 2011, 01:03:09 PM »
I like were this is going.... :nutkick:

Offline FV

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: May 06, 2011, 01:48:45 PM »
I like were this is going.... :nutkick:

I think you're going to be disappointed. 
Proud member of the P.P.A. since 2008.

Offline BlindDruid

• Administrator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: May 06, 2011, 01:54:08 PM »
Thsi should be an interesting blog to follow.

http://watchoutharper.blogspot.com/
Time passes, things change, the Sens WILL WIN the CUP. 
edit -  Hopefully within my lifetime.......

Offline work2play

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
    • Petition Spot - CBC is for all Canadians
« Reply #228 on: May 06, 2011, 03:12:45 PM »
Thsi should be an interesting blog to follow.

http://watchoutharper.blogspot.com/
What makes this more interesting to follow than the other "Harper has an evil secret agenda" blogs out there?

As for the Speech from the Thone, I doubt it will contain much of anything that the CPC did not campaign on.  They had a budget worked out before the election and I think they will leave it until next years budget to make any major cuts not already announced before the election.

I'm looking forward more to Jack Layton's first "Address in Reply" as opposition leader as I think it may set the tone for what we can expect from an NDP official opposition.
Lost your job yet?  Keep buying foreign!

Offline Special J

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: May 06, 2011, 03:40:03 PM »
Hidden Agenda (tm) is so 2007.
"Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true." - Homer Simpson

Offline work2play

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
    • Petition Spot - CBC is for all Canadians
« Reply #230 on: May 06, 2011, 03:52:08 PM »
^^But the fact that many voters lay all the blame on the multi-elections on the Liberals and NDP, et al highlights the Attention Deficit Syndrome that many voters - particularly Conservative supporters - have.  They don't want to deal with facts when it comes to the parliamentary process of governance.
But the multi-elections is all the fault of the Liberals and NDP   :sarcasm1 :icon_hiding2:

Don't go messing up the argument with facts like Prime Minister Harper being the one to ask the GG to dissolve the 39th Parliament and call an election in 2008 (without being defeated in the HoC on a confidence motion). 

As for the Attention Deficit Syndrome many in the electorate have, it is just as much a trait of supporters of the other parties as it is supporters of the CPC.
Lost your job yet?  Keep buying foreign!

Offline rose

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: May 06, 2011, 04:40:23 PM »

As for the Attention Deficit Syndrome many in the electorate have, it is just as much a trait of supporters of the other parties as it is supporters of the CPC.

:icon_agree: fundamentally.  My comment about a lot of Conservative voters being prone to it are the number of people I spoke to who said they were voting Conservative because of the "poll results" during the election period.  IMHO if one votes simply based on polling results, they simply are not doing their homework/due diligence.  And I know that if other parties were leading in the polls, people would say they would support them too....but I am basing my comments on the most recent election.