Author Topic: Binghamton VS Houston- Calder Cup Finals  (Read 22782 times)

Offline rose

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
Re: Binghamton VS Houston- Calder Cup Finals
« Reply #120 on: June 08, 2011, 09:25:48 AM »
A few comments from yesterday's BIG game for the Calder Cup:

Agree with others who found the camera work frustrating and/or just plain bad but we all agreed here that it was better than nothing.....barely.   :nod:

The commentators were extremely bad.  But we had a few chuckles because of them.  We put the Bingo radio feed on but it was too out of synch with the TV coverage.  In any case, besides being the ultimate homers, their colour guy simply was unable to say anything positive about the Sens.  At least during the second period, after the Aeros' 1st goal, they were commenting on where the broadcast was showing and the play-by-play guy mentioned that "I think we might even be showing up in Canada", to which the colour guy responded "Oh they are going to hate me!  I am a complete Aeros homer" to which all of us here said "No shit!".  Then after the Aeros scored their second PP goal to go ahead 2-1 in the second, the colour man, in his obvious excitement and glee, stated "Oh yeah!  I believe there will be a seventh game here Thursday night!" JINXED!!   :thumbsup:

What a snipe shot by Keller for the game-winning goal in the third!  How he got the puck into that teeny-tiny space in the net is beyond me!!   :ccclapping:

Good sized crowd for the game - I didn't hear what it was but it sure looked large!  And good on the fans at the end of the game.  They didn't all get up and leave with many staying for the awards being handed out.  Lehner got a very good round of applause when he was named playoffs MVP and many remained in the stands while the Sens took turns holding/carrying the cup. (The broadcast cut out here for a brief time after the final buzzer but then came back on so that we saw the handshakes, the Aeros saluting their fans before leaving the ice and then the MVP and cup hand-outs.  It cut out here just as the Sens were getting together for their group shot.)  :woohoo

During the pregame show on the Team 1200 Grady was interviewing Kleinendorst and after talking about the game itself, Grady asked a couple of questions about Stirling i.e. "Do you think Stirls will be listening to the game tonight or might that be against medical advice?" and Kleinendorst said a few words about Stirling, ending with "....because he is not only my coaching colleague but he's..........my friend......" and the pauses were because he got all choked up and could barely get the last two words out.  Obviously a guy with a lot of heart.   :nod:

I know the folks here enjoyed the game and I can only imagine how the fans in Binghamton responded when the final buzzer sounded!  CONGRATULATIONS B-SENS!!!!!  That was a remarkable playoff run!  They are the first team to end up in fifth place to ever win the Calder.  And I believe I heard last night that Lehner is the youngest player to ever win the Calder Cup MVP!!  GREAT JOB GUYS!!!    :ccclapping:   :spin:   :woohoo   :drink:   :ccclapping:   :spin:   :woohoo   :drink:

:happy dance:   :happy dance:   :happy dance:   :happy dance:   :happy dance:   :happy dance:   :happy dance:
"If you can't make up your mind, 'What the hell' is usually the right answer."  Ellen Reid Smith

Offline Sasquatch

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 08, 2011, 09:29:34 AM »
I wonder if this secures Lehners role as backup next year....

Offline rose

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 08, 2011, 09:39:14 AM »
I wonder if this secures Lehners role as backup next year....

Personally, I hope not.  He will still be too young, IMHO, and another full year of developing in the AHL is likely better for the longterm.  He is still a teenager and this season was very inconsistent for him.  Heck!  Until he got down to Bingo and the playoffs started, he barely played any games.  When he was here in Ottawa, he rode the bench.  When he got to Bingo, he rode the bench plenty because Brust was their "go-to" guy (understandably).  It wasn't until the B-Sens were down 3-1 in the first round that he played with any regularity at all this entire season.

Speaking of Lehner, during the post-game interviews on the radio with Grady, Robin was the first player he interviewed and it was clear that he was super-excited, elated and relieved.  But during his comments, he did a very nice "shout out" to Brust saying that "Barry spoke to me between periods and kept me calm.  He was an amazing help to me both during the games and in-between".  I thought it was very classy of the kid.   :thumbsup:
"If you can't make up your mind, 'What the hell' is usually the right answer."  Ellen Reid Smith

Offline sensfan1984

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 08, 2011, 09:40:50 AM »
Ya that was ridiculous..... The announcers were terrible. And did anyone notice the cameraman sucked. He lost the puck numerous times and at one point when the Sens were on a scoring chance they randomly cut to the Sens bench....

What the hell kind of broadcast doesnt show the awards ceremony....
Absolutely terrible....
The announcers were just brutal. After butler's goal the announcer kept talking about how the penalty was a "make up call" because they had handed Bingo 5 straight penalties. What a hack...

Offline OS

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • MacLean is Really Good!
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 08, 2011, 09:56:55 AM »
This is the Rockets venue so they have excellent established camera positions, so we were scratching our heads at the up panning that looked like a beer league tournament "video of the game" quality.  But, we happy for any tv coverage.
It sure does show the huge gap between the NHL and the AHL. 

Rose - the boxscore shows attendance of 10,125.  Looks like they filled the lower bowls.  I wonder if they just close the 3rd deck - it would make sense.

Boo to the Ottawa Citizen who made this a 3rd page sports section story - BBBOOOO!!!

Offline rose

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 08, 2011, 10:31:11 AM »
This is the Rockets venue so they have excellent established camera positions, so we were scratching our heads at the up panning that looked like a beer league tournament "video of the game" quality.  But, we happy for any tv coverage.
It sure does show the huge gap between the NHL and the AHL. 

Rose - the boxscore shows attendance of 10,125.  Looks like they filled the lower bowls.  I wonder if they just close the 3rd deck - it would make sense.

Boo to the Ottawa Citizen who made this a 3rd page sports section story - BBBOOOO!!!

We wondered whether it was only the lower bowl filled.  But in any event, it was a very decent crowd and certainly boisterous.

And I thought the exact same thing with the Citizen's 3rd page coverage.  Seriously?  But I have several issues with them lately (that I won't go into here)................ :shake:

Offline Jasonf6

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • The good 'ol days
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 08, 2011, 11:47:00 AM »
We wondered whether it was only the lower bowl filled.  But in any event, it was a very decent crowd and certainly boisterous.

And I thought the exact same thing with the Citizen's 3rd page coverage.  Seriously?  But I have several issues with them lately (that I won't go into here)................ :shake:
At the start of the game there were large swaths of empty seats that mysteriously filled as the game went on.  I just think they allowed people to move down after a time passed so that it "looked" full on tv. :)

The only mention of the win in the Sun was a go-to graphic on the front and a one-page article at the back. :)

Offline OS

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • MacLean is Really Good!
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 08, 2011, 12:25:22 PM »
At the start of the game there were large swaths of empty seats that mysteriously filled as the game went on.  I just think they allowed people to move down after a time passed so that it "looked" full on tv. :)

Good for them if they did.  Crazy not to reward fans in their final game of the season  :mrgreen:

Offline rose

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 08, 2011, 12:30:04 PM »
Good for them if they did.  Crazy not to reward fans in their final game of the season  :mrgreen:

^^I agree totally.  Even if it had ended up being their SECOND last game of the season!   :smily1263:

Offline Jasonf6

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • The good 'ol days
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 08, 2011, 12:56:13 PM »
Yup, totally agree.  Oh, and I guess the obilgatory  :icon_agree: is in order. :D

Offline FBK

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 08, 2011, 01:04:47 PM »
And the bingo sens win the championship!!!!!!!!!!! Congratulations to CM and all other fans living in Binghamton. From not making the playoffs last to winning the Championship! Thats really something
RAP AND HIP-HOP FOR LIFE

Offline UniCop

• Future Hall of Famer
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 08, 2011, 01:30:06 PM »
Congrats to the B-Sens and to the fans in Binghampton, especiall CM. :)

Was I the only one surprised to see the broadcast shut off the moment tht the game wasa over?  The horrible commentators basicaly say "Well, the Aero's lost so we're going to turn off the tv broadcast but you're welcome to listen to the radio and picture the presentation/celebration if you wish."

If you stuck with it, they did actually show the presentation....

Offline UniCop

• Future Hall of Famer
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 08, 2011, 01:32:32 PM »
Good sized crowd for the game - I didn't hear what it was but it sure looked large! 

They mentioned in passing the crowd was somewhere over the 10-large mark.

Offline Metalhawk

• Head-Bangin'-
  • Administrator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • Some Heads Are Gonna Roll!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 08, 2011, 01:43:24 PM »
As unicop said, they did show the celebrations. The broadcast with those two hacks stopped, but after a commercial break, they came back to a broadcaster-less feed. They stopped once most players had handled the Cup.
"A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove that you don’t need it"

Offline Jasonf6

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • The good 'ol days
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 08, 2011, 03:44:02 PM »
If you stuck with it, they did actually show the presentation....
Well, it was late and when I heard "The television broadcast stops here but you can listen on the radio" message I took it as truth and went to bed. :)

Offline Dagwood

• SITE PHILOSOPHER
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: June 08, 2011, 09:21:37 PM »
Some good videos starting to pop up on U-Tube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEch1LsXflM
“Being politically correct....not my forte”

Offline playertobenamedlater

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 09, 2011, 09:19:35 AM »
Personally, I hope not.  He will still be too young, IMHO, and another full year of developing in the AHL is likely better for the longterm.  He is still a teenager and this season was very inconsistent for him.  Heck!  Until he got down to Bingo and the playoffs started, he barely played any games.  When he was here in Ottawa, he rode the bench.  When he got to Bingo, he rode the bench plenty because Brust was their "go-to" guy (understandably).  It wasn't until the B-Sens were down 3-1 in the first round that he played with any regularity at all this entire season.

Speaking of Lehner, during the post-game interviews on the radio with Grady, Robin was the first player he interviewed and it was clear that he was super-excited, elated and relieved.  But during his comments, he did a very nice "shout out" to Brust saying that "Barry spoke to me between periods and kept me calm.  He was an amazing help to me both during the games and in-between".  I thought it was very classy of the kid.   :thumbsup:

I'm with you Rose. We have Anderson, no need for Lehner to ride the pine in Ottawa in a rebuilding year when he could be getting good quality playing time in Bingo. Thanks for sharing his comments. That speaks to a kid's character when he takes the time during an emotional spontaneous celebration to compliment and thank the other goalie.
A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice Chianti.

Offline Sasquatch

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 09, 2011, 09:47:56 AM »
Ya thats a pretty good move on his part... Ill agree with you there.

however in regards to him staying in Bingo..
I have to worry that he would not be happy there. Although that shouldnt count for anything I kind of worry about this kid sometimes that way he responds to the media. Maybe Im completely off but I would hope that keeping him down another year wouldnt cause him wanting to bolt when it comes to contract time....

Offline playertobenamedlater

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 09, 2011, 09:51:29 AM »
Ya thats a pretty good move on his part... Ill agree with you there.

however in regards to him staying in Bingo..
I have to worry that he would not be happy there. Although that shouldnt count for anything I kind of worry about this kid sometimes that way he responds to the media. Maybe Im completely off but I would hope that keeping him down another year wouldnt cause him wanting to bolt when it comes to contract time....

Well, he's a competitor, and wants to compete at the highest level. To be honest, I don't want anyone on my team who's happy to play in the minors. I would seriously question their motivation. It's a matter of managing him properly, and letting him know that he's part of the team's long term success plan, and convincing him that it's better for him and the team for him to spend another year in the minors. If they make him earn a spot rather than handing it to him, he'll be better for it.
A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice Chianti.

Offline rose

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 09, 2011, 12:11:41 PM »
Well, he's a competitor, and wants to compete at the highest level. To be honest, I don't want anyone on my team who's happy to play in the minors. I would seriously question their motivation. It's a matter of managing him properly, and letting him know that he's part of the team's long term success plan, and convincing him that it's better for him and the team for him to spend another year in the minors. If they make him earn a spot rather than handing it to him, he'll be better for it.

:icon_agree: 100%  I think it's great that he's gung-ho and thinks he's ready for the big club.  But, if handled properly, I think he can be made to understand that it's likely better for him in the long run to get lots of playing time.  He seems to have matured somewhat during his run in Bingo (based on postgame/pregame interviews I've heard and especially postgame after their Calder Cup win) and if management lays it out properly for him, he will hopefully not want to bolt.  Time will tell, to be sure.