Author Topic: Here we go again  (Read 3434 times)

Offline Johnny English

• Future Hall of Famer
  • Canadian Heroine
    • View Profile
Here we go again
« on: June 17, 2011, 07:27:16 PM »
Just seen the first of the no doubt endless PC attack ads, this time for the provincial election.

I just hope that McGuinty doesn't respond in kind, the federal campaign on both sides was one of the most disheartening and depressing demonstrations of cynical electioneering I've ever seen.
We all dream of a team of Chris Kellys.

Offline playertobenamedlater

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
Re: Here we go again
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 06:30:21 AM »
What else can you do but attack McGuinty? Point out his accomplishments? There are none. He's taxed us to death, bribed us with an extra vacation day when he was losing the last election, and  made it increasingly difficult for Ontario businesses, farmers, and blue collar workers to survive. ALl this while the health care system he claims to be a champion of, continues to slide. I won't even get into the billions that have been misspent on e- health, the hydro project in Niagra Falls, and others, I just look at my electric bill every time I get it, and think of how much worse it could get with 4 more years of this guy...

BTW- Answer me this... They're continuing to play up this bs about using hydro at certain times of day, and are even bugging me to get a certain meter and thermostat so that they can control my air conditioning during "peak demand periods". Having spoken to experts in the field, there is no longer anything nearly resembling an electricity shortage, since the blackout and layoffs at the GM and Chrysler plants a couple of years ago reset the system. We're still expected to pay more for the convenience of not doing laundry at 3:00am, but there is no reason behind it. So, these guys who say I need to do my alundry in the middle of the night and pay more for it, and also telling me that I need to buy an electric car. If electricity is such a concern, why the hell would I buy an electric car?

BTW- Ontario is currently overproducing power to the point that they are actually subsidising Quebec and New York customers, while we in Ontario continue to overpay and get no breaks...
A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice Chianti.

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2011, 06:33:26 AM »
Oh wait, I forgot, he's "creating green jobs" entirely at the expense of businesses who can already barely afford to run in Ontario...
A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice Chianti.

Offline Johnny English

• Future Hall of Famer
  • Canadian Heroine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011, 11:57:22 AM »
What else can you do but attack McGuinty?

They could actually tell us what they would do if they were in power. That's if they actually know, but I suspect they don't.

Here, have a look for yourself:

http://www.ontariopc.com/?site=skip

I've just spent five minutes on that site, and the closest thing I can find to a manifesto or a policy is a page full of meaningless soundbites. They can shout about McGuinty's failings all day long, but if they can't tell me what they're going to do differently then they're just pointless noisemakers.

Offline thirstymoose_2000

• Global Moderator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • There's Always 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2011, 03:10:09 PM »
You realize that other parties do that as well, right?

The Green Party attacked Harper.

And let's just say, "Guns. In the street. In Canada.", who did that one again?

And Layton certainly has targeted the Liberals.

Everyone does it to a certain extent and they do it because it unfortunatley is what works.
2011-2012 Season of the Young Guns!

Offline Johnny English

• Future Hall of Famer
  • Canadian Heroine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2011, 06:45:25 PM »
You'll note that I was careful in my first post to say that both sides were equally to blame for the appalling campaigns in the Federal election. I excuse the NDP because they weren't anything like as bad.

I would be and will be equally scathing if and when I see any other party wheeling out this sort of childish namecalling masquerading as politics. The Conservative advert happened to be the first one I saw.

Offline OS

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • MacLean is Really Good!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2011, 10:43:01 PM »
Federally the NDP were more low key.  What is interesting is that the ad about Iggie's attendance was a strategic rifle shot that pushed the cart over.

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2011, 11:53:58 AM »
Just seen the first of the no doubt endless PC attack ads, this time for the provincial election.

I just hope that McGuinty doesn't respond in kind, the federal campaign on both sides was one of the most disheartening and depressing demonstrations of cynical electioneering I've ever seen.

By the way, the Liberals have had an attack ad out against the Tories for so long, I almost forgot about it. The one that portrays an actor meant to be Tim Hudak sitting at a board room table with all his "corporate buddies", with them telling him what "important" social programs to cut. They basically make him out to be a corporate puppet. At least the Conservative ad actually discusses Dalton McGuinty, and they didn't hire actors and write a script to create a false image of their competitor. The Tory ad tells the truth, the Liberal ad is a scene from Young and the Restless, and the Liberals fired the first shot.

Offline Johnny English

• Future Hall of Famer
  • Canadian Heroine
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2011, 12:03:15 PM »
Sure. I haven't seen it, but I'll take your word for it.

I'm not getting into the political debate with you again - both your position and mine are too entrenched, as was proven in the thread running up to the Federal election - but I'm utterly disgusted with any and every party whose primary campaign position is "vote for me because the other guy's a prick". The fact that they credit us with so little intelligence that they feel the best way to get our vote isn't to tell us what they will do for us is disgraceful.

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2011, 12:42:26 PM »
So, you'll be voting for the marijuana party? They're the only ones who don't do any attacking. Like you, I'd rather see platforms than attacks, but based on Dalton's history of deceit and huge tax increases, he simply has to go, no matter what party he represents.

Offline FV

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2011, 05:34:23 PM »
....wheeling out this sort of childish namecalling....

I hear ya!!   :mrgreen:
Proud member of the P.P.A. since 2008.

Offline thirstymoose_2000

• Global Moderator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • There's Always 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2011, 11:22:10 PM »
Federally the NDP were more low key.
:shock:

I really don't think so. They were pretty direct, especially at the end of the campaign when they could smell blood.

Like I said, they're all guilty and unfortunatley they won't go away because they work.
2011-2012 Season of the Young Guns!

Offline Special J

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2011, 01:00:58 PM »
So, you'll be voting for the marijuana party? They're the only ones who don't do any attacking. Like you, I'd rather see platforms than attacks, but based on Dalton's history of deceit and huge tax increases, he simply has to go, no matter what party he represents.

Their ads go something like this:  Dalton McGuinty won't legalize weed, man.  Bummer.  Vote for us and we'll uhm, uh... What were we talking about again?

The ads aren't really all that nasty; but if I'm Hudak I would lay off some.  Seems like a waste of energy slagging McGuinty's track record when everybody knows it and is fed up already.  He needs to sell himself more, because so far I don't find him that impressive a leader.

What he does need to look out for is the NDP.  If the Libs are as good as done and Hudak runs a bad campaign, they could capitalize.  The other two parties shouldn't underestimate Andrea Horwath.  We know how well that went last time.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 01:12:57 PM by Special J »
"Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true." - Homer Simpson

Offline momr

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2011, 09:55:00 AM »
Unfortunately Hudak has the full backing of Mike Harris which to start off with is political suicide.  If he stands any chance of defeating McDorkus he has no choice but to focus on the liberal failings.

I normally dont like those attack ads either - pay little attention to them - and honestly havent even seen the one you're talking about - but - the voting public has a short memory and this time, because I loathe McGuinty, I don't think they will upset me cause people should be reminded.  I cant think of anyone better who deserves them than McGuinty

Offline work2play

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
    • Petition Spot - CBC is for all Canadians
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2011, 12:41:54 PM »
Saw the latest Liberal attack ad accusing the Tories of lying in their platform last night.

When McGuinty was first elected he campaigned on not raising taxes and eliminating the Ontario Municipal Board.  The OMB is still here and we are still paying much more in new fees (a tax no matter what they name it) and the HST.

The Tories may well be lying in their platform, but for a party lead by that chronic liar McGuinty to run ads about it is part  :A_laughing_matter: and part  :shock:
Lost your job yet?  Keep buying foreign!

Offline Dagwood

• SITE PHILOSOPHER
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2011, 02:45:05 PM »
Saw the latest Liberal attack ad accusing the Tories of lying in their platform last night.

When McGuinty was first elected he campaigned on not raising taxes and eliminating the Ontario Municipal Board.  The OMB is still here and we are still paying much more in new fees (a tax no matter what they name it) and the HST.

The Tories may well be lying in their platform, but for a party lead by that chronic liar McGuinty to run ads about it is part  :A_laughing_matter: and part  :shock:

Liberals are done like dinner in this province.  If McGuinty makes it back into office, then this province deserves to go bankrupt.
“Being politically correct....not my forte”

Offline Johnny English

• Future Hall of Famer
  • Canadian Heroine
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2011, 04:20:38 PM »
I realise I'm swimming against the tide here, but why do you all consider taxes to be such a bad thing?

Offline Jasonf6

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • The good 'ol days
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2011, 04:45:43 PM »
I realise I'm swimming against the tide here, but why do you all consider taxes to be such a bad thing?
Surely you dont mean us having a problem with the gasoline excise tax, HST and whatnot on fuel...that's tax on tax on tax. :)  And considering McGuinty said no more taxes then turns around and puts in the Eco fee and HST, I wonder why some have a problem with taxes. :)

Offline PiePants

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2011, 05:55:43 PM »
Taxes are bad because you're punishing productive members of society.

Offline Johnny English

• Future Hall of Famer
  • Canadian Heroine
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2011, 06:49:42 PM »
Taxes are bad because you're punishing productive members of society.

Wow.