Author Topic: Here we go again  (Read 3451 times)

Offline PiePants

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
Re: Here we go again
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2011, 07:27:33 PM »
Care to counter?

Offline Dagwood

• SITE PHILOSOPHER
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2011, 07:51:20 PM »
I realise I'm swimming against the tide here, but why do you all consider taxes to be such a bad thing?

I don't mind paying taxes, I have a problem with having my pockets picked at every turn.  The Smart Meter is just a silent crook IMO, then add in the designated times to take advantage of lower rates after a set time only to have the higher rates kick in at something like 7am.

Surely the tards that came up with this have all thier kids grown up and out of the nest, otherwise they might realize those of us with families and young kids have few choices as to how to conserve energy.  It gets even better in the summer when those kids are all out of school and essentially home 24x7

And that's just one example what you get with McGunity's and his gang.
“Being politically correct....not my forte”

Offline Johnny English

• Future Hall of Famer
  • Canadian Heroine
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2011, 09:05:49 PM »
Care to counter?

Sure. Are you taking the piss, or do you actually think that taxes are bad because they penalise the successful?
We all dream of a team of Chris Kellys.

Offline Johnny English

• Future Hall of Famer
  • Canadian Heroine
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2011, 09:07:07 PM »
I don't mind paying taxes, I have a problem with having my pockets picked at every turn.  The Smart Meter is just a silent crook IMO, then add in the designated times to take advantage of lower rates after a set time only to have the higher rates kick in at something like 7am.

Surely the tards that came up with this have all thier kids grown up and out of the nest, otherwise they might realize those of us with families and young kids have few choices as to how to conserve energy.  It gets even better in the summer when those kids are all out of school and essentially home 24x7

And that's just one example what you get with McGunity's and his gang.

I'm not familiar with the Smart Meter so you'll have to explain a bit more?

Offline Dagwood

• SITE PHILOSOPHER
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2011, 09:47:35 PM »
I'm not familiar with the Smart Meter so you'll have to explain a bit more?
I'm a man of few words  :mrgreen:

http://www.ieso.ca/imoweb/siteShared/smart_meters.asp?sid=ic

Rates are shown on the right hand side of page.  Take note of the rates between 11am and 5pm, when kids are home from school, need the AC, Eat all day long if teens and surf the web or play PS3s or Xbox.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 09:50:18 PM by Dagwood »
“Being politically correct....not my forte”

Offline Special J

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2011, 10:26:50 AM »
Well I understand the principle of the smart meter, you're paying more during prime time but you'll save money by moving some of your usage to off peak hours.  At least that's what we were told.

Of course all of this was a flat out lie.  Turns out the off peak rate was as high as the previous regular rate.  So this was another sneaky increase.

Then there's the HST.  With those wonderful words "revenue neutral".  With the refund cheques, it'll work out even Ontarians.  Not so.  This too, was a lie.  And McGuinty admitted it.

Then came the eco tax.  Oh wait, not a tax, a levy.  By spinning off to some 'arms reach' agency.  We could have new taxes sprung on us out of nowhere.  Which is exactly what happened.  No announcement, no budget, no debate in commons.

I could go on, say about the health tax, which was another lie.  But he's already faced an election over it an won (thanks John Tory, dummy).

I don't hate taxes.  Hell I might be the only person in the country that actually supported the GST.  I hate being lied to, having more money taking away, and watching it being set on fire.
"Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true." - Homer Simpson

Offline PiePants

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2011, 11:22:51 AM »
Sure. Are you taking the piss, or do you actually think that taxes are bad because they penalise the successful?

You made a simplistic statement, so I provided a simplistic counterpoint.  People have no problem paying taxes, and no one in this topic has said anything otherwise.  What people have a problem with is paying too much taxes.  Taxes don't penalize the successful, they penalize everyone.  The government is taking away the currency a person has received for the goods or services he or she has provided.  It is essentially government theft.  Now, for the purpose of maintaining a civilization, taxes are a necessary evil, however in no way should that money be in excess of what is absolutely necessary, nor should it be used to enrich those who are entrusted to spend it and their friends.

Offline playertobenamedlater

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2011, 01:07:40 PM »
You made a simplistic statement, so I provided a simplistic counterpoint.  People have no problem paying taxes, and no one in this topic has said anything otherwise.  What people have a problem with is paying too much taxes.  Taxes don't penalize the successful, they penalize everyone.  The government is taking away the currency a person has received for the goods or services he or she has provided.  It is essentially government theft.  Now, for the purpose of maintaining a civilization, taxes are a necessary evil, however in no way should that money be in excess of what is absolutely necessary, nor should it be used to enrich those who are entrusted to spend it and their friends.

I agree, and will add to that. The current (provincial) government has such a low view of us as citizens, that it wants to handle all of our money for us. They think they need to take more of our money and raise our kids for us, that we couldn't be trusted to drink alcohol responsibly if it was less taxed, etc. I, like most people, don't mind paying a reasonable amount of tax for the government to provide essential services. When taxpayers have to all get second or third jobs to pay the taxes for overblown government who tries to micro- manage every tiny facet of our lives, that's another story.
A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice Chianti.

Offline Johnny English

• Future Hall of Famer
  • Canadian Heroine
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2011, 07:24:42 PM »
Yep, took a bit longer but now the Liberals are at it. Honestly, all of them can **** off if this is the best they have to offer. Asking us to vote based upon playground insults is pathetic.

Offline playertobenamedlater

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2011, 04:05:13 PM »
Maybe they're just trying to distract us from the fact that we're still pauing a "debt retirement fee" on our hydro bills, although by all accounts, that debt was paid as of 2010, and the feeis now just another in a long list of hidden taxes...
A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice Chianti.