Author Topic: Mike McKenna - i year deal to back up in Bingo  (Read 1496 times)

Offline OS

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • MacLean is Really Good!
    • View Profile
Mike McKenna - i year deal to back up in Bingo
« on: July 08, 2011, 01:26:09 PM »
Looks like the Sens are ensuring that Lehner isn't going to get any heat from the backup.

-----------

The Ottawa Senators announced today the club has signed goaltender Mike McKenna to a one-year, two-way contract.

McKenna, 28, spent his second consecutive season with the New Jersey Devils organization in 2010-11, appearing in 39 games with the American Hockey League’s Albany Devils and playing two games in the National Hockey League. With Albany, he posted a 14-20-2 record with a 3.61 goals-against average and .866 save percentage while recording one shutout. In two games with New Jersey, he had one loss, a 3.05 goals-against average and an .893 save percentage.

Prior to joining the Devils, the native of St. Louis, Mo., spent the 2008-09 season in the Tampa Bay Lightning organization. He played 15 NHL games with the Lightning, posting a 4-8-1 record with a 3.56 goals-against average, .887 save percentage and one shutout.

The 6-3, 195-pound McKenna has played in six professional seasons, including 164 AHL games with the Norfolk Admirals, Milwaukee Admirals, Omaha Ak-Sar-Ben Knights, Portland Pirates, Lowell Devils and Albany.

McKenna was originally Nashville’s sixth-round selection (172nd overall) in the 2002 NHL Entry Draft. Prior to being drafted, he played four seasons with the Eastern Collegiate Athletic Association’s St. Lawrence Saints.

http://senators.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=568883

Offline classmate

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
Re: Mike McKenna - i year deal to back up in Bingo
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 05:28:23 PM »
Looks like the Sens are ensuring that Lehner isn't going to get any heat from the backup.

-----------

http://senators.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=568883

Don't be so sure!!  First of all, no one expected Brust to be as hot as he was last season.  Second, in 09/10 his record was 29-19, 2.53 GAA, and .925 Save% which was comparable to last season for Brust. 
In 09-10 McKenna played for an OK defensive team in Lowell. In 10-11 he played for a horrible defensive team in Albany. Albany gave up the most goals in the league last year. You cannot put that all on the goalie. If we get some decent veteran d-men signed, we should be OK.  If they leave defense up to the new/slightly new "kids", it won't matter who's in goal. We'll be screwed.  I think we all know that from watching both teams over the last few seasons. 

Offline OS

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • MacLean is Really Good!
    • View Profile
Re: Mike McKenna - i year deal to back up in Bingo
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 09:53:20 PM »
Second, in 09/10 his record was 29-19, 2.53 GAA, and .925 Save% which was comparable to last season for Brust. 

Ah, interesting.