Author Topic: Watched the rookies practice at SensPlex last weekend.  (Read 2624 times)

Offline work2play

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
    • Petition Spot - CBC is for all Canadians
Watched the rookies practice at SensPlex last weekend.
« on: July 08, 2011, 01:36:37 PM »
Was in Ottawa and caught the rookies working out at SensPlex.  Here's a few thoughts on the guys I noticed on the ice.

Defence

Rundblad
- was the best player on the ice, and probably the only one that looked to be NHL ready.  If he got beat while I was watching practice, I missed it.

Cowen
- battled hard on everything and looks improved.  Should be that hard nosed tough D-man that every forward hates to play against.   Doesn't look NHL ready yet, a year in the AHL is probably the best thing for his development. 

Wiercioch
- will probably be in Ottawa eventually, but like Cowen looks like another year playing top pair minutes in the AHL would probably be best for his development.

Blood
-  does not anticipate the play or react to it quickly enough to make the next step to the NHL.  Will be a career AHL player if he can not improve upon that aspect of his game. 

Forward

Silfverberg
- has talent, but still looks a year away.  Going back to Sweden for one more year was probably the right decision for this kid to make.  Should make a serious run at a roster spot in Ottawa the following year.

Caporusso
- skates well and seems to have decent vision.  Will probably be back in the AHL this year, but will probably be one of the first call ups if Ottawa runs into injury trouble.

Zibanejad
- talented but doesn't look ready.  I expect he will spend next year playing in Sweden.  If he does not make the NHL the next year hopefully the fans in Bingo will get to watch him for a year.  Longer term, could develop into the number two center Ottawa so badly needs.

Noesen
- not the best skater, but moves into the open ice very well once he is within 40 feet or so of the net.  I expect he will end up back in junior next year.

Puempel
- didn't stand out much, will probably end up back in junior next year.

Prince
- didn't stand out much, will probably end up back in junior next year.

The rest of the forwards looked like long shots to ever see much playing time in the NHL.

The goalies were a bunch of college kids  and I think they may have been brought in just to stop pucks for rookie camp.

Lost your job yet?  Keep buying foreign!

Offline OS

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • MacLean is Really Good!
    • View Profile
Re: Watched the rookies practice at SensPlex last weekend.
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 02:02:27 PM »
I've been reading a lot on other sites about the camp, and you rae harsher than pretty well any of them!  Likely makes you more realistic, though consensus (including Murray) is that Silfverberg is ready.

I think fans forget that the min objective of the camp is to show or reinforce to the youing guys what it takes to make it to the NHL, and to stay there.  Not to mention to get a look at how much competition there is.   

Offline Metalhawk

• Head-Bangin'-
  • Administrator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • Some Heads Are Gonna Roll!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 02:10:29 PM »
Silfverberg
- has talent, but still looks a year away.  Going back to Sweden for one more year was probably the right decision for this kid to make.  Should make a serious run at a roster spot in Ottawa the following year.

Funny, because Murray is doing everything he can to convince the guy that he is NHL ready and to stay in North America next season.
"A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove that you donít need it"

Offline work2play

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 02:18:10 PM »
I've been reading a lot on other sites about the camp, and you rae harsher than pretty well any of them!  Likely makes you more realistic, though consensus (including Murray) is that Silfverberg is ready.
Silfverberg may be ready, hard to tell without getting a chance to see him in full training camp and pre-season.  His decision to return to Sweden means he won't be in main camp.  Another year in Sweden means he will only be more ready next year.  I've always marked harder than most (on everything, not just hockey).

I think fans forget that the min objective of the camp is to show or reinforce to the youing guys what it takes to make it to the NHL, and to stay there.  Not to mention to get a look at how much competition there is.   
I get that the main purpose of rookie camp is pretty much what you stated.  I was just looking at it from the perspective of how soon some of these kids may be ready to help in Ottawa.

Not living in the Ottawa area I did enjoy the chance to get a fix of Senators hockey in July. Not a chance I get most years.  I also enjoyed picking up the sports section and see Sens news and none about that other team from Ontario  ;)

Offline work2play

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, 02:28:45 PM »
Funny, because Murray is doing everything he can to convince the guy that he is NHL ready and to stay in North America next season.
Of the forwards that were there, he looks the most ready.  Couldn't beat Rundblad one on one though.  Which probably went a long way to forming my impression that while he is close to ready, he may not quite be there yet. 

As for Murray trying to convince him to stay, my understanding is that he has signed a contract in Sweden that does not contain an out clause for this year.  And that being in training camp would cause him to miss the first six weeks of the SEL season.  Maybe I was mis-informed, but from what I read he is now committed to his SEL team and that the Senators organization will have to wait one more year for him.

Offline OS

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • MacLean is Really Good!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2011, 03:27:58 PM »
I get that the main purpose of rookie camp is pretty much what you stated.  I was just looking at it from the perspective of how soon some of these kids may be ready to help in Ottawa.

I was referring to the fans that way to excited by it, read to much in to a July camp, and start pencilling starting liine-ups with half the guys on it!  <cough> hfboards <cough>

Offline work2play

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2011, 03:39:05 PM »
I was referring to the fans that way to excited by it, read to much in to a July camp, and start pencilling starting liine-ups with half the guys on it!  <cough> hfboards <cough>
Ahhh, now I got ya  8)  I don't read hfboards, barely have time to keep up with this place.