Author Topic: Scary statistics  (Read 1246 times)

Offline Metalhawk

• Head-Bangin'-
  • Administrator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • Some Heads Are Gonna Roll!!!
    • View Profile
Scary statistics
« on: September 15, 2011, 12:37:57 AM »
A two-day commercial vehicle blitz resulted in 128 charges being laid by the Ontario Provincial Police.

The OPP, Transport Canada and the Ministry of the Environment checked 175 vehicles along Highway 417 and in the City of Ottawa, and pulled 44 per cent of the vehicles out of service.

The OPP says five drivers were driving while under suspension, while 12 drivers were driving without the proper class of licence.

http://www.cfra.com/?cat=1&nid=81583

Maybe Bassman can comment on this, but it's pretty damn scary knowing that there's an almost 50/50 chance that the next big truck you drive by is either unsafe or the driver shouldn't be behind that wheel...
"A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove that you don’t need it"

Offline Jasonf6

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • The good 'ol days
    • View Profile
Re: Scary statistics
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 07:51:54 AM »
Ya, that definitely gives you reason to pause.

Offline Rickman

• Future Hall of Famer
  • True Sens Fan (not one of those bandwagon jumpers)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 12:50:39 PM »
Ya, I'm sure everybody kind of cringes as you try to pass a big a$$ truck!

Offline Dagwood

• SITE PHILOSOPHER
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 09:00:01 PM »
As long as they are going in the same direction as me, on a divided highway I Like my chances,
Still, once again it shows the sorry state our province has become. Inflated Union/Gov't salaries = less people working who would actually provide the resources to stay on top of this sort of thing.
“Being politically correct....not my forte”

Offline Rickman

• Future Hall of Famer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 07:19:59 AM »
Inflated Union/Gov't salaries = less people working who would actually provide the resources to stay on top of this sort of thing.

Hey, I resemble that remark!!!  :A_laughing_matter:

Offline playertobenamedlater

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2011, 12:16:54 AM »
It all depends on what the violations are. They could range from not having the day's inspection sheet filled out properly, to not having a functioning fire extinguisher on board to not having flares, all the way up to the more serious issues of carrying an unsafe load to bald tires, etc.
I would hazard a guess that most of the violations are of the adminsitrative variety.
A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice Chianti.

Offline Rickman

• Future Hall of Famer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2011, 08:09:53 AM »
Hopefully that is the case. 

You'd think they smartened up after all those tires flying off trucks and killing people a few years back!

Offline bassman

• Global Moderator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • If it was easy ... everyone would be doing it!
    • View Profile
    • PokerStars.COM  the best internet poker site! My ID: NiteInJail
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2011, 03:55:01 AM »
Just saw this thread today Metalhawk, Those are a bit scary stats. I have a few thoughts, 175 vehicles is a pretty small sample size. Also the piece says "A two-day commercial vehicle blitz" No way to know from this if these are all very large trucks or cube vans and everything. 44% taken out of service could be for many reasons, almost all of them would be safety reasons, it would be interesting to see what the reasons were. To me the worst stat in that piece is the suspended and incorrect grade licenses. For this there is no damn excuse.

Blitzes like these come up and sometimes things seem well other times scary. But very very consistently and overwhelmingly large truck stats show that they, have very low accident rates per mile. and far more truck vs passenger vehicle accidents are the fault of the passenger vehicle.

These kind of things get confusing because there are 2 facts about trucking that seem at odds with itself...

"Trucks continue to have very low accident rates"
"perhaps 50% of trucks could be pulled off the road for safety/regulatory reasons"

Both are true. The industry deserves praise and needs to do more work at the same time. This situation happens for a lot of complex reasons. Vehicle manufacturing constantly strives to improve reliability and widen all margins of safety. Road regulations keep getting ever more strict. With plenty of pressures and a myriad or regulations it seems like even a super human could never drive 100% always within regs.

Scary stats like these are never fun to hear but lets hope knowing more helps move even further towards safety.