Author Topic: world cup rugby  (Read 4061 times)

Offline BlindDruid

• Administrator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
world cup rugby
« on: September 15, 2011, 11:15:42 AM »
Anybody watching  World Cup Rugby?  Canada won its first gane against Tonga and plays France on Sunday.  Looking forward to seeing the powerhouses like the All Blacks and Samoa and Australia in action.  What surprises me is Scotland with 2 wins.  Mind you they played against a couple of soft teams.  The match against England will be a tough one.

Time passes, things change, the Sens WILL WIN the CUP. 
edit -  Hopefully within my lifetime.......

Offline work2play

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
    • Petition Spot - CBC is for all Canadians
Re: world cup rugby
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 02:25:44 PM »
I watched the Canada vs. Tonga game live the other night.  Good win by Canada.   If they can beat either France (which will be tough) or Japan, then they will have a good shot at finishing third in the group.  If they can finish in the top three in the group they are guaranteed a spot in the 2015 World Cup.

Not much chance of beating New Zealand.  But playing the All-Blacks will show how competitive they are against one of the best (if not the best) rugby side in the world.
Lost your job yet?  Keep buying foreign!

Offline OS

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • MacLean is Really Good!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 10:00:51 PM »
On holidays this week, so I watched it live at night.  Very entertaining match, and a heck of a comeback for Canada.  Tonga is ranked two spots higher than Canada, so a solid win.

Offline BlindDruid

• Administrator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 11:45:14 AM »
Despite Canada's loss to France, which was expected, they could be guaranteed a spot in the next world cup if they can beat Japan.  They put up a good fight against France although they seemed quite sloppy at the end of the 1st half and looked very fatigued near the end of the 2nd.  I am very optemistic that they can beat Japan. 

Exciting upset when the Irish beat Australia.  That really changes the dynamics of that pool.  With the US only one point behind Australia, the Wallabees are going to have to be very careful as their next test is against the US.

Offline work2play

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 02:01:40 PM »
Good comeback to get the draw against Japan.

If France beats Tonga by more than seven points Saturday and Tonga scores three tries or less, then Canada finishes third in the group and is guaranteed a spot in the 2015 Rugby World Cup.

Offline BlindDruid

• Administrator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 03:33:55 PM »
So their next game is against the All Blacks on Sat.  Chances are the All Blacks will go with their secondary players to rest up for the quarter finals.  Perhaps an outside chance for Canada to get an upset victory?  Doubtful but crazy things have happened.....

Offline Special J

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 03:56:36 PM »
A Draw?!?  Dammit.

Canada needs more athletes in every sport that looks like this...
"Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true." - Homer Simpson

Offline work2play

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2011, 04:07:37 PM »
So their next game is against the All Blacks on Sat.  Chances are the All Blacks will go with their secondary players to rest up for the quarter finals.  Perhaps an outside chance for Canada to get an upset victory?  Doubtful but crazy things have happened.....
I like the way you think, but it's an extreme long shot.  NZ have only given up 34 points in three matches.  They have also earned the bonus point in all three.  Easily the best team in the group. The odds of an upset are probably made even longer by the fact that Canada is playing on four days rest again.  They played on four days rest against France and it showed in the second half.

Offline Special J

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2011, 11:29:53 AM »
Well, we got our asses handed to us by the All Blacks.  Ah well, not like we didn't see that coming.  The biggest disappointment I think was only managing a draw vs. Japan.
"Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true." - Homer Simpson

Offline rose

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2011, 06:00:30 PM »
Well, we got our asses handed to us by the All Blacks.  Ah well, not like we didn't see that coming.  The biggest disappointment I think was only managing a draw vs. Japan.

Yeah....our asses got handed to us but that brief time with Canada scoring first and having a 3-pt lead was sweeeeeeet!!!   ;)   Quite the production at the beginning of the game when NZ does their 'cheer', eh?  I hadn't seen it before but I had heard about it.  Intense. :icon_hiding2:
"If you can't make up your mind, 'What the hell' is usually the right answer."  Ellen Reid Smith

Offline BlindDruid

• Administrator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2011, 08:35:07 PM »
What I didnt like was the French team basically not showing up for the game against Tonga allowing Tonga to have the easy win and take 3rd place.

Offline rose

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2011, 08:52:57 PM »
What I didnt like was the French team basically not showing up for the game against Tonga allowing Tonga to have the easy win and take 3rd place.

It's a team from France.   'Nuff said.  ( :icon_agree: though)
"If you can't make up your mind, 'What the hell' is usually the right answer."  Ellen Reid Smith

Offline Special J

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2011, 08:41:18 AM »

Perhaps, but it's as much our own teams' fault.  3rd was there the taking and they came up short against a team I think they should have beat.

Canada controlled their own destiny and they let it get away, and when you let other teams decide it for you, you may not like the result.

Offline OS

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2011, 09:51:28 AM »

Yup.  That one was lost on missed kicks. 

New Zealand was incredible to watch though.  They are bigger, hit harder, are more agile and run faster.   Some of the ball movement was really spectacular - not just a simply tossing it wide out but moving it back and forth in a progression across the filed to open up seams in the D then taking off when it is there. Very impressive, and lets not even talk about the scrum where New Zealand pushed the Canadian team about 10 feet straight back across the goal line.   But Canada was ahead 3-0!!!!!!!

Offline work2play

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2011, 03:45:55 PM »
NZ are an incredible team.  Good to see Canada go up against the best.  Shows just how far we still have to go to be able to really compete with the best in the world.

Disappointing that France didn't put in a better effort against Tonga, but it was a nothing game to them.  France was already assured of advancing and were not going to win the group.  They rested many of their best players.  They did what was right for France, just as they should do.

Canada will just have to make the 2015 Rugby World Cup the same way they made this one, by winning qualifying matches.

Offline BlindDruid

• Administrator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2011, 07:30:21 AM »
France nearly upset New Zealand in the final.  It was an intense match but a fitting end to a good tournament. 

Offline OS

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2011, 08:45:49 AM »
France nearly upset New Zealand in the final.  It was an intense match but a fitting end to a good tournament. 

Big boys in the French scrum.  They had the All Blacks a tad rattled in the 2nd half.  I enjoyed the match, a true final. 

Offline rose

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2011, 09:18:11 AM »
Does anyone know where the team name "All Blacks" came from?  My daughter and I were discussing it the other night.  Thought someone on here might know.

Offline BlindDruid

• Administrator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2011, 09:49:36 AM »
Their original name in the 19th Century was the Maorilanders and their uniform at the time was a dark blue jersey, dark knickerbockers and stockings.  In 1905 their uniform was changed to completely black jersey, shorts and stockings and the press of the day coined the phrase All Blacks in their reports which caught on.

Offline rose

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2011, 10:38:12 AM »
Thanks, BD!  :thumbsup: