Author Topic: Another perspective  (Read 3012 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline OS

  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • ******
  • Posts: 14404
  • MacLean is Really Good!
    • View Profile
Another perspective
« on: October 18, 2011, 02:44:19 PM »

Offline Johnny English

  • Future Hall of Famer
  • *****
  • Posts: 933
  • Gender: Male
  • Canadian Heroine
    • View Profile
Re: Another perspective
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 09:59:36 PM »
Not sure what your point is. People shouldn't protest about corporations buying policy to protect profiteering and shareholder value at the cost of jobs because they have more than starving millions in the third world?
We all dream of a team of Chris Kellys.

Offline OS

  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • ******
  • Posts: 14404
  • MacLean is Really Good!
    • View Profile
Re: Another perspective
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 09:04:42 AM »
Not sure what your point is. People shouldn't protest about corporations buying policy to protect profiteering and shareholder value at the cost of jobs because they have more than starving millions in the third world?

I think some of the guys that were bailed out in the US should have had jail time.  I find the 99% angle a bit ironic, as worldwide, the US overall would be in the top 1.  Lots of smartphones and well dressed and fed people in amongst the protesters.  The protest is fine.  The 99% angle, as if they are so downtrodden is a bit over the top. 

Offline Johnny English

  • Future Hall of Famer
  • *****
  • Posts: 933
  • Gender: Male
  • Canadian Heroine
    • View Profile
Re: Another perspective
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 11:20:25 AM »
I see the point, but there are a significant proportion of the US population living beneath the federally defined poverty line. Of course the majority still live with untold wealth compared to many elsewhere in the world, but you have to start somewhere and highlighting the failure of a system that allows the few to profit by almost unimaginable amounts at the expense of the majority seems like a reasonable place.
We all dream of a team of Chris Kellys.

Offline OS

  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • ******
  • Posts: 14404
  • MacLean is Really Good!
    • View Profile
Re: Another perspective
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, 02:43:05 PM »
Yup.  Just found the Ed cartoon poignaint.

Offline rose

  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • ******
  • Posts: 16432
  • Gender: Female
    • View Profile
Re: Another perspective
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 04:03:21 PM »
Yup.  Just found the Ed cartoon poignaint.

Poignant it is.  For me, however, part of the message is that it's the 99% who try to help people like this in dire need, not necessarily the 1%.  And the less the 99% have, the less they can help the needier.
"If you can't make up your mind, 'What the hell' is usually the right answer."  Ellen Reid Smith

Offline Jasonf6

  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • ******
  • Posts: 6788
  • Gender: Male
  • The good 'ol days
    • View Profile
Re: Another perspective
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2011, 10:15:09 AM »
Poignant it is.  For me, however, part of the message is that it's the 99% who try to help people like this in dire need, not necessarily the 1%.  And the less the 99% have, the less they can help the needier.
:icon_agree: :mrgreen:

Offline playertobenamedlater

  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • ******
  • Posts: 3830
  • Gender: Male
    • View Profile
Re: Another perspective
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2011, 11:28:38 AM »
Poignant it is.  For me, however, part of the message is that it's the 99% who try to help people like this in dire need, not necessarily the 1%.  And the less the 99% have, the less they can help the needier.

 :icon_thankyou:
A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice Chianti.

Offline FV

  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • ******
  • Posts: 6665
  • Gender: Male
    • View Profile
Re: Another perspective
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2011, 01:55:50 PM »
It takes just under $60,000 to make it into the top 1%.  I'm sure some of the protesters and a lot of us posters on Sensnetwork fall into this category. 
 
 
http://www.globalrichlist.com/
 
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 02:00:29 PM by FV »
Proud member of the P.P.A. since 2008.

Offline stone169

  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • ******
  • Posts: 6098
  • Gender: Male
    • View Profile
Re: Another perspective
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2011, 02:07:12 PM »
Is that before or after taxes?  Because I'm supposed to be in the 1%, then why do I still feel like the other 99%?
There are good coaches and there are bad coaches, the real question is "Do you want this person to be a role model to your kids for the next 6 months".  That's the question you have to ask yourself.

Go Sarnia Jr. Sting Minor Midget MD!!!!!

Offline rose

  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • ******
  • Posts: 16432
  • Gender: Female
    • View Profile
Re: Another perspective
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2011, 02:10:35 PM »
Is that before or after taxes?  Because I'm supposed to be in the 1%, then why do I still feel like the other 99%?

^^Yep.  I think the 99%/1% that is being used for the OWS movement is based on US numbers.
"If you can't make up your mind, 'What the hell' is usually the right answer."  Ellen Reid Smith

Offline stone169

  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • ******
  • Posts: 6098
  • Gender: Male
    • View Profile
Re: Another perspective
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2011, 02:15:28 PM »
^^I just tried that link that FV provided and I'm in the 1%.  I guess they'll be occupying my front lawn.
 
Sheesh I can't even afford an IPhone like some of these protestors.
There are good coaches and there are bad coaches, the real question is "Do you want this person to be a role model to your kids for the next 6 months".  That's the question you have to ask yourself.

Go Sarnia Jr. Sting Minor Midget MD!!!!!

Offline Jasonf6

  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • ******
  • Posts: 6788
  • Gender: Male
  • The good 'ol days
    • View Profile
Re: Another perspective
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2011, 02:49:25 PM »
I just tried the list and I'm in the top 3.07% so I'm now mad at you who are in the top 1%. :D

Offline Metalhawk

  • Head-Bangin'-
  • Administrator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • *****
  • Posts: 24550
  • Some Heads Are Gonna Roll!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Another perspective
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2011, 02:55:33 PM »
I just tried the list and I'm in the top 3.07% so I'm now mad at you who are in the top 1%. :D

Exact same for me. 3.07%. Let's go protest together! :buddies:
"A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove that you donít need it"

Offline stone169

  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • ******
  • Posts: 6098
  • Gender: Male
    • View Profile
Re: Another perspective
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2011, 02:56:51 PM »
Just stay away from my front lawn. :icon_angry2:
There are good coaches and there are bad coaches, the real question is "Do you want this person to be a role model to your kids for the next 6 months".  That's the question you have to ask yourself.

Go Sarnia Jr. Sting Minor Midget MD!!!!!

Offline OS

  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • ******
  • Posts: 14404
  • MacLean is Really Good!
    • View Profile
Re: Another perspective
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2011, 03:21:18 PM »
^^I just tried that link that FV provided and I'm in the 1%.  I guess they'll be occupying my front lawn.
 
Sheesh I can't even afford an IPhone like some of these protestors.

At a $60k threshold, it's more like the protest is aimed at .01%. 

Offline FV

  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • ******
  • Posts: 6665
  • Gender: Male
    • View Profile
Re: Another perspective
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2011, 03:59:55 PM »
"Hello Police.  Theres some long hair in a Metalica Tour shirt and some red headed guy in a Sens Jersey setting up a tent on my front lawn!! "
Proud member of the P.P.A. since 2008.

Offline Johnny English

  • Future Hall of Famer
  • *****
  • Posts: 933
  • Gender: Male
  • Canadian Heroine
    • View Profile
Re: Another perspective
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2011, 04:59:43 PM »
It takes just under $60,000 to make it into the top 1%.  I'm sure some of the protesters and a lot of us posters on Sensnetwork fall into this category. 
 
 
http://www.globalrichlist.com/
 

Yeah, but as Rose said, that's a global thing. For the US protests, you have to be earning between $343,927 and $532,613 (depending on the study you use) to be in the top 1%.

http://www.bankrate.com/finance/taxes/top-1-percent-earn.aspx

I suspect there aren't many of us on here in that bracket, and if you are, can you lend me a hundred bucks please?
We all dream of a team of Chris Kellys.

Offline playertobenamedlater

  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • ******
  • Posts: 3830
  • Gender: Male
    • View Profile
Re: Another perspective
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2011, 06:50:02 PM »
Yeah, but as Rose said, that's a global thing. For the US protests, you have to be earning between $343,927 and $532,613 (depending on the study you use) to be in the top 1%.

http://www.bankrate.com/finance/taxes/top-1-percent-earn.aspx

I suspect there aren't many of us on here in that bracket, and if you are, can you lend me a hundred bucks please?

methinks you're right. Just for a lark, I entered 15,000.00 as my annual wage, and it put me in the top 12%, then asks me for a donation. I don't think anyone making $15,000 living in this area could possibly afford a donation.
 
A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice Chianti.

Offline Johnny English

  • Future Hall of Famer
  • *****
  • Posts: 933
  • Gender: Male
  • Canadian Heroine
    • View Profile
Re: Another perspective
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2011, 11:50:46 PM »
$15,000? You rich bastard! Lend me a buck?
We all dream of a team of Chris Kellys.