Author Topic: Wiercioch hit in the throat by puck  (Read 8003 times)

Offline playertobenamedlater

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
Re: Wiercioch hit in the throat by puck
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2012, 08:04:27 AM »
Just heard on the Team that Patrick took his first full practice today in Binghamton with only one drill that he did not do.  They are now thinking it's a matter of weeks (only) before he will be back playing.  Good news!   :thumbsup:

That's great news! Thanks for the update Rose.
A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice Chianti.

Offline classmate

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2012, 11:26:08 PM »
Patrick played again tonight. His first game in 7 weeks.   Before hand the coach had said they were concerned how he would react to the flying puck but he was very comfortable and didn't seem "jerky" at all.  He played a few shifts in the first period but I don't remember seeing him play much the rest of the game.  After, he said it was like summer since he was out so long.  (Yes if part of your summer vacation is spent on a respirator.)  It was great to see him back though that's for sure.

As a parent, I can only imagine how his parents felt about him going back out there.   :fear: :fear: :fear:

Offline FV

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2012, 11:53:09 PM »
Great news CM!!!  Hockey is a tough sport on the parents for sure! 
Proud member of the P.P.A. since 2008.

Offline playertobenamedlater

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2012, 11:33:09 AM »
Thanks for the update CM! I'm glad to hear that he's recovered nicely.
A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice Chianti.

Offline rose

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2012, 12:21:51 PM »
Good article in today's Citizen about Wiercioch.  He and Kyle Turris (good buddies since their minor hockey days together in BC...who knew?) were driving two of the monster trucks in town for the show tomorrow night at SBP and Wayne Scanlan interviewed him about the incident with the puck to the throat and his recovery, etc.  Apparently, at the outset, a doctor said he may have to away from hockey for "one to two years" and he thought to himself " no way" and, sure enough, he was back on the ice in seven weeks.  Seems like one of his biggest concerns was never being able to speak again.  How  horrible would that have been?!?  In any case, he is spending the off-season working with the strength and conditioning staff, along with Turris, and also in an effort to regain the 20-25 pounds he lost during the first two weeks of his recovery when he was on a strict liquid diet.  Overall, however, he sounds well on the way to a complete recovery from that nightmare!!  :thumbsup:
"If you can't make up your mind, 'What the hell' is usually the right answer."  Ellen Reid Smith