Author Topic: Rob Ford is covering himself in glory again  (Read 9666 times)

Offline FV

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
Re: Rob Ford is covering himself in glory again
« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2012, 08:04:04 PM »
Pretty much what I was going to say a couple of hours ago but I got side tracked.  He's back peddling but that's what he was saying.  Personally I agree with him.
Proud member of the P.P.A. since 2008.

Offline CrustyOldGuy

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2012, 08:42:59 AM »
Dittto.
All that happened when they "cleaned up" the Galloway Boys and Malvern Crew ten years ago, is they moved to Ajax.  Crime spiked there, and now they are moving back to Scarborough.  Problem with these guys, is they were born here.
I really didn't mind when they were taking out their own, but this generation is taking out innocent people.
Don't believe there is any way to get them out of the country, but no harm in trying. 
Now that I am older, I thought it was great that I seemed to have more patience.  Turns out I just don't give a damn.

I don't have an attitude...I have a personality you can't handle!

Offline momr

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2012, 09:31:43 AM »
If they want to be serious about guns then remove the gangs!  Shorten up the laws so there are no loopholes.  You're automatically guilty of a crime if you are a member of these gangs!  And cops know they are.  Round them up - throw them in jail - give them their weapons and let them settle their differences behind bars.

Uncivilized solution?  You bet!

Cause these people are uncivilized!  Its all they deserve.

Offline CrustyOldGuy

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2012, 09:44:29 AM »
 :icon_agree: :icon_agree:   They did it with biker clubs, why not these clowns?
Now that I am older, I thought it was great that I seemed to have more patience.  Turns out I just don't give a damn.

Offline Metalhawk

• Head-Bangin'-
  • Administrator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • Some Heads Are Gonna Roll!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2012, 01:13:18 PM »
Toronto Mayor Ford was 'probably' driving while reading

Reporter: "Sir, there's a picture that went out on Twitter this morning of you reading while still driving on the Gardiner [Expressway]."

Ford: "Yeah, probably. I'm busy."

Reporter: "So you read while driving?"

Ford: "Yeah, probably, yeah. I'm try[ing] to catch up on my work and you know I keep my eyes on the road, but I'm a busy man."

Reporter: "You don't see a problem doing that on the Gardiner?"

Ford: "Well, I'm busy. I got to be ó I don't know what that has to do with a trade mission, but anyways. Ridiculous questions sometimes, seriously."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/story/2012/08/14/rob-ford-chicago321.html?cmp=rss
"A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove that you donít need it"

Offline FV

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2012, 01:42:39 PM »
Seriously, why is this a story?  He not breaking the law. 

Offline Metalhawk

• Head-Bangin'-
  • Administrator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 14, 2012, 02:07:17 PM »
Personally, I think a big part of the story is the arrogance with which he was answering the reporter. And for what it's worth, while the act of reading itself may not be against the law (yet), if you're seen swerving even once or put anyone else in danger at any time, you can be charged with careless driving as a result of the reading (which is quite likely to happen at least once on a busy expressway).
"A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove that you donít need it"

Offline FV

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 14, 2012, 02:59:30 PM »
Why were they asking such stupid, questions at a press conference about something else?  It's all very strange to me.   :laugh2:

Offline Metalhawk

• Head-Bangin'-
  • Administrator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 15, 2012, 12:59:14 AM »
Because Ford has pissed them off so many times in the past that it's open season no matter what. :)

Offline CrustyOldGuy

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 15, 2012, 08:20:52 AM »
 :icon_agree:

Offline work2play

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
    • Petition Spot - CBC is for all Canadians
« Reply #50 on: September 11, 2012, 03:22:15 PM »
Looks like we all wait and see if they take Ford's job as mayor away over conflict of interest allegations. 
Lost your job yet?  Keep buying foreign!

Offline Metalhawk

• Head-Bangin'-
  • Administrator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile

Offline rose

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 26, 2012, 03:22:55 PM »
What could the judge do? Ford admitted in court, rather arrogantly I thought, that he had never read the conflict of interest rules in all his years in municipal office.  He obviously did not think they applied to him or that he was above the conflict rules.  Ford is the author of his own circumstances, IMHO.
"If you can't make up your mind, 'What the hell' is usually the right answer."  Ellen Reid Smith

Offline BlindDruid

• Administrator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 26, 2012, 09:27:29 PM »
He is planning on appealing the verdict.  He is to remain in office for two weeks before he is removed however due to the appeal he could remain for months yet.  He is a fighter.  I'll give him that.

Time passes, things change, the Sens WILL WIN the CUP. 
edit -  Hopefully within my lifetime.......

Offline rose

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 27, 2012, 12:06:56 AM »
He could have saved himself the fight - and a lot of time and money - by declaring a conflict on the vote (which by the guidelines, he clearly had).  I don't follow Toronto municipal politics all that closely but I am a little curious....on the vote that he has been found in conflict with, was it a close vote?  Did he have to vote to keep from paying back that money?  Or, in the end, did his vote not make a difference in the outcome one way or the other?  Just curious.
"If you can't make up your mind, 'What the hell' is usually the right answer."  Ellen Reid Smith

Offline CrustyOldGuy

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 27, 2012, 10:24:49 AM »
 :icon_agree:   And if I remember correctly, the vote wasn't close...his vote wasn't needed.  I believe this was all over about $3,500?  Chump change to this guy.

Offline BlindDruid

• Administrator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 27, 2012, 11:14:01 AM »
One person on the radio this morning made a good point.  Ford did not make any personal gains from all this.  This was all related to his charity which gained from it.
Time passes, things change, the Sens WILL WIN the CUP. 
edit -  Hopefully within my lifetime.......

Offline rose

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 29, 2012, 03:39:57 PM »
Well, regardless of the amount of money and whether or not it was for a good cause (and I do believe that charity football/sports for youth ARE good causes...worked as a volunteer for years not only being a founding member of a - now very large - basketball association but also soccer, etc.), as a municipal politician myself (school board trustee) I read the guidelines on conflict of interest when first elected back in the 90's and I  knew NOT to co-mingle my volunteer work with my position as a trustee when it came to pecuniary matters.  The guidelines are VERY clear.

For me, on the Ford issue, I was only following the story via news reports, mainly on TV while watching the nightly news.  I have to admit I was gobsmacked when I heard that during his testimony during this hearing he blithely admitted to the judge that he had never read the act concerning the conflict rules, yaddi yaddi.  Seriously?  You are mayor of the largest city in Canada and you admit in an open court that, basically, you didn't give a sh*t about the rules!!  And you had been a city councillor for at least two or three terms before you became mayor?  Frankly, I don't think the judge could have decided anything other than what he did, regardless of the amount of money involved.  Justice Hackland did go as "easy" as he could by not imposing the second part of the Act which states that you are banned from running again in any public office for a period of seven years after the term in which you were dismissed.  But the removal from office IS mandatory, according to the act.

Killing a fly with a baseball bat?  I am sure that many would see it that way.  However, Mr. Ford's complete and utter arrogance is basically admitting that he did not even care enough to know the rules is what did him in.

It will be interesting to see how his appeal goes.  The guidelines are in the process of being reviewed and possibly this penalty could be reworked.  But they were under review long before this situation with Mr. Ford.  And they are supposed to be released early in 2013.  Whether or not they are now delayed is questionable, for me, because of this Toronto case.  Either way, these are pretty basic rules for anyone in municipal politics to see and do their job within.  It is my understanding that on the night of the vote, the Toronto city solicitor advised him of the conflict and that he should not participate.  He ignored the warning (and that is exactly why city solicitors are at meetings...for advice...and why they are paid to be employees).  He ignored the warning at his own peril.  Now he has to deal with the outcome.

Interesting in the days ahead indeed.

Offline CrustyOldGuy

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 30, 2012, 10:27:23 AM »
Ford is cleared to run in the by-election...if they have one.  Just a guess, but I think the left wing will probably now push to appoint a replacement.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/story/2012/11/30/toronto-rob-ford-byelection.html

Offline work2play

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
    • Petition Spot - CBC is for all Canadians
« Reply #59 on: December 05, 2012, 05:25:11 PM »
Lost your job yet?  Keep buying foreign!