Translated this article from swedish news paper. Some is google translation had to polish it off some..
When I see Daniel Alfredsson's smile, I think of two things:
1.Team Swedens captain will lift the World Cup trophy this year.
2.Ottawa Senators captain will NOT quit after this season.
The kids want me to continue he says with a smile.
The first thing I said when I met Daniel Alfredsson here at the World Championships were:
Thank you for being the best that you are - you make me feel young.
- Many have said that I do. That's funny that I can help you with that, haha.
All of us who have become old men think it's cool that 39-year-old Daniel Alfredsson is still absolutely a top notch world-class hockey player.
- I had surgery on my back last summer and I feel great. I have been able to skate better, and I have not been in pain anymore. I have played in all situations and it's been a really fun season.
Do you like Like Per Mårts as a coach?
- I met Mårts (Par) after a game in New York earlier this season. I said, I feel like playing the World Cup, t
So its because of him you are here now?
- It is a part of it, absolutely. I like the type of hockey Mårts stands for.
The eternally young Alfredsson is the perfect captain for Team Sweden.
I thought first that Henrik Zetterberg should wear the C , but he will wear it in Sochi Olympics in two years.
This World Cup team will be Alfredsson's team. His intense longing for his first world championship gold medal and his happy mood is contagious, and of course, smittens of on the rest of the squad.
His joy when playing with "little boys" Calle Jarnkrok and Jacob Silfverberg is almost touching to see.
Could it be that Pär Mårts makes Ottawa a favor when he lets you and Silfverberg play together?
The reason I am asking is because Silfverberg will play in Ottawa next season and thought it might make you want to continue?
It was great to see Daniel Alfredsson's reaction when I asked him that.
- Hehe. I do not know. It's very fun to play with Silfverberg. He will be great in Ottawa next year and he's better than I was when I came to the NHL.
It's very fun to play with the younger players coming up. As I did with Erik Karlsson, since he came to the NHL.
My kids want nothing more than that the old man continue he says..
When I asked Erik Karlsson, later on I said "No way Alfie is quitting"?
- No, he can’t. And watch how much he likes it here. He smiles all the time, said Karlsson.
- We nag all the time in Ottawa. Of course we want him to continue.
Daniel is the father of four boys and the eldest, Hugo, has said that the father will continue to play until the youngest one, William, knows what Dad is doing.
- William is just one year old. So we'll see. I will decide this summer. I’ll need some time for myself after the season to think about it. I still think hockey is fun, but I don’t know about yet another summer camp, all trips and nights at the hotel? I do not know.
- Also I want to spend more time with my family. I miss a lot going on at home, says Alfredsson to himself
But after he said the above, he said again that "the kids want me to continue."
So I think we can all be hopeful.
Hopefully we’ll see Alfredsson and Silfverberg in the same lineup next season.
But first, they have to win the World Championship gold medal together.