Author Topic: Anyone get blown Away in the Windstorm?  (Read 6454 times)

Offline Scary

• Hall of Fame Inductee
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone get blown Away in the Windstorm?
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2011, 09:27:13 PM »
I didn't catch this thread til now. I was actually coming into the airport on a plane when that storm hit the airport and knocked out power. Had probably the worst turbulence I've ever been in coming in (wasn't terrible but was disconcerting for sure). We got to the gate but couldn't get off because the doors apparently go into lockdown when there's a power outage, so we got to hear and feel the wind rock the plane (on the ground) for about 10 minutes before someone came to open the door. Airport only had emergency lighting, but computers and security screening equipment were still on. Anyone who had checked luggage had to wait because the carousels were also out.

Offline OS

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • MacLean is Really Good!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2011, 05:23:25 AM »
Just seeing what it was like on the ground, an airplane is about the last place I would wish to be.  It does show how robust the airplanes are.

Offline Dagwood

• SITE PHILOSOPHER
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2011, 04:08:24 AM »
For Christ sakes....it's happened again.

This time, 4 people dead...40 injured as a stage at the Indianna State Fair Collapses...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRkdwrmzYXg

These folks had zero chance to escape the falling metal. I think I read one of the dead is a three year old  :'(

I hope there are more prudent inspections of these things moving forwards although I get the feeling these outdoor events will just simply disappear alltogether in favor of indoor venues.
“Being politically correct....not my forte”

Offline Jasonf6

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • The good 'ol days
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2011, 01:15:52 PM »
Holy sh*t, that's insane. 

I'm not sure inspections will ever stop them from falling under wind of that force.  But yes, something needs to be done to make them safer for sure.

I think if I ever go to a concert that isn't indoors I won't be near the stage.

Offline OS

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2011, 10:02:29 PM »
Last report I saw was 5 dead.  There has to be a big re-think and shake-up about these things. 

Offline playertobenamedlater

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2011, 09:21:26 AM »
For Christ sakes....it's happened again.

This time, 4 people dead...40 injured as a stage at the Indianna State Fair Collapses...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRkdwrmzYXg

These folks had zero chance to escape the falling metal. I think I read one of the dead is a three year old  :'(

I hope there are more prudent inspections of these things moving forwards although I get the feeling these outdoor events will just simply disappear alltogether in favor of indoor venues.

A few years back now, I used to work stage security for a lot of shows around Ottawa. Any time that winds were projected to go to a certain level, or if a freak wind came up, the big screens, backdrops, , etc were taken down, so as not to turn the stage into a giant parachute. Any lighting that could potentially come loose was also taken down. Show organizers don't seem to be doing this anymore, despite the tragic consequences of their failure to do so.
While there appears to be an issue with this certain stage company, the show organizers have to take some of the responsibility for their lack of common sense.
A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice Chianti.

Offline OS

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2011, 10:28:03 AM »
Good point.  Nothing like saving some $$ and time by cutting down on safety.  The roof of the Indiana structure looked to be holding up a lot of signage and extras that weren't needed.

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2011, 09:57:41 AM »
The Bluesfest stage was also covered in extra signs, with giant video screens also attached. They had over an hour's warning to take some of the stuff down, and didn't.
A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice Chianti.

Offline Johnny English

• Future Hall of Famer
  • Canadian Heroine
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2011, 02:37:35 PM »
Unbelievably, another stage has been blown down

This time in Belgium with four dead so far.
We all dream of a team of Chris Kellys.

Offline Jasonf6

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • The good 'ol days
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2011, 03:51:52 PM »
That really sucks.  They can't just go and cancel all outdoor events so Im not sure what can be done about the stages.  Can they put baffles in the sides and top to let wind out but no rain in?

Offline Dagwood

• SITE PHILOSOPHER
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2011, 12:10:43 PM »
Unreal.  Maybe they should get FOL involved for Design competitions....
Seriously, I'm no frigging Outdoor Stage expert but common sense would tell me if I'm going to cover these stages with giant Tarps, Then they bloody well should tear away when winds hit a certain speed.  They should also be made into smaller sections and be held together with Velcro.  If not for the Balloon tarps, I am certain the steel frames would hold up just fine.
My guess is these tarps are tied/wrapped around the Steel support beams to add strength to the overall structure which is the problem. Then again, who takes refuge under a giant lightning rod to get out of the rain  :smily677:
“Being politically correct....not my forte”

Offline FV

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2011, 12:24:55 PM »
You are so right.  I saw the Rolling Stones in 1980 in Rich Stadium.  The stage was covered in a cloth with graphics on it.  The morning of the show there was extremely bad weather and major winds and by the time it was over the cloth was long gone and all that was left was a workable frame.  I remember thinking as an 18 year old that that was done by design.  Show went on as scheduled, no problems except the fact Journey came on after Thorogood and they basically sucked. 

Proud member of the P.P.A. since 2008.

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2011, 01:41:13 PM »
You are so right.  I saw the Rolling Stones in 1980 in Rich Stadium.  The stage was covered in a cloth with graphics on it.  The morning of the show there was extremely bad weather and major winds and by the time it was over the cloth was long gone and all that was left was a workable frame.  I remember thinking as an 18 year old that that was done by design.  Show went on as scheduled, no problems except the fact Journey came on after Thorogood and they basically sucked. 

Absolutely agree that Journey suck. About the stage though, back then there probably weren't 100 different sponsor's signs on the stage, or giant video screens that they refused to take down.

Offline FV

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2011, 01:46:05 PM »
I believe they just used the stadiums video screens and you can still make sponsors signs out of something that will tear away in strong winds rather than act like a parachute.
Proud member of the P.P.A. since 2008.

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2011, 02:43:42 PM »
Absolutely they CAN, but WILL they is another question...

Offline CrustyOldGuy

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
Now that I am older, I thought it was great that I seemed to have more patience.  Turns out I just don't give a damn.

I don't have an attitude...I have a personality you can't handle!

Offline Metalhawk

• Head-Bangin'-
  • Administrator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • Some Heads Are Gonna Roll!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2012, 03:28:04 PM »
I wonder if it's the same company that's been "responsible" for the a few high profile collapses in recent years across North America.
"A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove that you don’t need it"