Author Topic: Uniting Daniel Alfredsson and Jason Spezza in Ottawa's Best Interest  (Read 1157 times)

Offline psahlgren

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • Stanley to Ottawa 2014-2015
    • View Profile

"We feel we've been playing playoff hockey for a while now." - Andrew Hammond

Offline work2play

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
    • Petition Spot - CBC is for all Canadians
Re: Uniting Daniel Alfredsson and Jason Spezza in Ottawa's Best Interest
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2012, 04:03:50 PM »
By the numbers he may be right, but there are some intangibles that make me disagree.

If you stack them all on one line teams will make adjustments to stop that one line.  For example,  Heatley-Spezza-Alfie from November 2008 until the end of that season.

The second line will be better with Alfie's veteran presence.  I just don't think Michalek would bring the same type of veteran leadership to that line.

Leaving them split up also leave Ottawa the option of putting them back together for important shifts where the need a goal but can't give one up.  Many of the last minute comebacks we saw last year happened with the net empty and Alfie on the ice as the sixth player.  As the sixth man Alfie can use his skills and vision to act as a type of rover.  It was very effective last year and is not an option I would want to see them limit.

Lost your job yet?  Keep buying foreign!

Offline thirstymoose_2000

• Global Moderator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • There's Always 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 01:51:06 PM »
And you have to factor in the fact that Alfie's performance would decline somewhat if he got top line minutes. His bad back and hip flexor would likely be aggravated with too many minutes.
2011-2012 Season of the Young Guns!

Offline Dagwood

• SITE PHILOSOPHER
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2012, 01:10:18 PM »
I agree with you TM2K.  Alfie will be a better contributor overall with less minutes. I'm certain he would say otherwise but I think it's the way to go with him at this point...providing we get to see him play again.

“Being politically correct....not my forte”